RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2020, 09:53 AM   #1

Updating my GPS

Just purchased a used 2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD and learning new things about the coach daily. Today's question: The motorhome came with a digital info center and one of the options is the GPS(Rand McNally) but it needs to have the maps updated. I have already noticed numerous roads and new extensions which aren't presently included...

Can these factory installed GPS systems be updated? and, how do I go about the job? Appreciate your advise.

Hwy Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2020, 10:17 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Sure they can.
Your Ellipse MH has the Xite Infotainment/GPS/Camera system from Riverpark.

There is a "Core Unit" that powers the system. It's usually in an upper cabinet. Mine is in a front cabinet above the Passenger seat, but they also put them above the driver's seat and some are in the dash mounted low below the monitor.

IN that Core Unit (which is actually a PC running embedded Windows, like an ATM does) is a small slot with an SD card. You push on the SD card and it will spring back a little so you can grab it and remove it.

To update the MAPS and the Xite Software you need two things - a PC or Mac with an SD card reader (If you're doesn't have one, you can get a cheap USB reader to attach) and the RAND DOCK program from Rand McNally.

https://www.randmcnally.com/support/...dates-via-dock

Then you simple launch the Dock application on your computer and insert the SD card in the reader. This will connect via the internet to the RAND servers and provide your unit's Serial Number to Rand McNally. It will then show a graphic that indicates that everything is connected.

I've attached a photo of the dock (my SD card was not inserted at the time).

Below that is the very large buttons for Update Maps and or Update Software if any updates are available. You click on the buttons and it will go through the various update downloads.

By the way, hang on to that SD card because it is keyed to your RV and must remain with it.

There is also an Import Trip button and you can use a Rand McNally trip planner website to plan your trip and copy the trip to your SD card too. The RAND trip planners is called TripMaker. See photo below as well.

https://tripmaker.randmcnally.com/

Be aware, the RAND GPS works a bit differently when entering info. Many don't take the time to learn it and the internet is full of people that hate the system. I can tell you that we've used it for 3 years and really like the way it works. It did take a frustrating month or so at first learning it's quirks. But once we got the hang of it we love it.

Any questions you have feel free to ask away - and we'll try to help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 11.13.04 AM.png
Views:	5
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	293661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 11.09.30 AM.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	293662  

Old 07-18-2020, 10:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy Junky View Post
Just purchased a used 2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD and learning new things about the coach daily. Today's question: The motorhome came with a digital info center and one of the options is the GPS(Rand McNally) but it needs to have the maps updated. I have already noticed numerous roads and new extensions which aren't presently included...

Can these factory installed GPS systems be updated? and, how do I go about the job? Appreciate your advise.

On a '15 Ellipse 42QD the "chip" is located at the very bottom of the CD/DVR player mounted at the bottom of the little console shelf with the cup holders between the seats.

Just press in and release and it will pop out.

Use the docker program as above to update the maps.

You can use Rand McNally - TripMaker to trip plan and make your trip downloadable to the chip via the docker app.

The other thing I remember about that is during the '15 time frame RM came out with an upgrade that required a chip with more storage. If you run into that, River Park will swap out with you, just call their tech support.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:27 AM   #4

Quote:

if yours is like our Ramd McNally Infotainment System there should be an SD card in a slot to the right of the screen. you'll need to download the free RM app for your PC or MAC with which you'll use to update the map and system files on the SD card.
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:29 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Here's what the Core Unit looks like and I've circled the location of the SD Card. You'll notice it also has a USB port and a HDMI port on front as well. Mostly, those are not needed, but they are there if you want to use them.

Oh, and if you have problems or questions and need support - don't call Rand McNally they won't know anything about your system. Call Riverpark in Indiana at (800) 442-7717. I've found them to be very helpful. They have a tech support email form at https://riverparkinc.com/support/.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	coreunit.png
Views:	4
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	293663  
Old 07-18-2020, 10:31 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Here's a video from Winnebago for a slightly different unit on a smaller RV. But the Core unit and the operation basics are the same.

Old 07-18-2020, 10:35 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
if yours is like our Ramd McNally Infotainment System there should be an SD card in a slot to the right of the screen.
Yes, this is true. I forgot to mention, on some smaller Xite systems the SD card is on the right side of the screen. Sometimes behind a door and sometimes not. Depends on your system installation.
Old 07-18-2020, 02:47 PM   #8

updating my onboard GPS

Found the SD Card but Mac software says I need to update to 64-bit technology.When I try I get the following msg: “SetupRMDock-5.pkg” cannot be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.
Old 07-18-2020, 02:49 PM   #9

Frustrated

What Now??
Old 07-18-2020, 03:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Found the SD Card but Mac software says I need to update to 64-bit technology.When I try I get the following msg: “SetupRMDock-5.pkg” cannot be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.
not a MAC user but the RM dock software for windows comes, or came, in two versions... 32 and 64-bit. and sure enough it seems the MAC has two versions.

https://www.randmcnally.com/support/s/dock-software
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:43 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
What Now??
Well, that same message that tells you it's from an "unidentified developer" also says if you want to install it, you should go to your Settings > Security & Privacy utility and approve it for download and installation.

When you get there and it click on the General tab you'll see a place to say OK to install that software - it will already know that you were trying to do that. You may (probably) will need to click on the padlock in the bottom left to unlock the setting and then after you've downloaded the app click the padlock again to relock your security settings. This is all normal Mac stuff with software from the internet.

Mac's do this with any software that has not been developed by a standard Mac developer (one that pays Apple for that privilege).

It looks like the screen shot below - and I've circled the place where yours will show the name of the program and ask you to approve installing it. It shows nothing on my Mac, because I'm not trying to install anything.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 7.40.13 PM.png
Views:	3
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	293708  
Old 07-20-2020, 07:06 AM   #12

GPS needing Updated

Thanks for your information as it was very helpful. Loaded the software and downloaded what I could. System indicated that my SD card was too small so I have asked, as you suggested, Riverpark(via email) to advise procedure for getting the larger SD...

Thanks for your help...
Old 07-20-2020, 09:42 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I haven't needed to do it, but I think some others have been able to create their own new larger SD card - but I've also seen folks that failed at being able to do that.

It will depend on how computer literate you are - because you can't back up the OEM card and just copy it to a new card.

You have to use Disc Cloning software, to make an image of the OEM card and then apply that image to a new card. Your Mac has built in utility software to take care of this, but it's really best if you're very computer savvy.

PS. The reason it's like this is because Riverpark pays a licensing fee to Rand McNally for each Xite Radio SD Card. This license is hard encoded and encrypted into the SD Card format to pair up with your specific GPS. If you just back up the card, you don't copy the hidden license files and that's why it doesn't work to just copy it.

Tags
gps