RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2020, 07:35 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
US 191 Jackson CO to Bluff UT

This summer we are going from Jackson WY to Monument Valley, stopping at Flaming Gorge, Dinosaur National Monument (West Entrance), Green River SP, Arches NP and Canyonlands NP on the way. It looks like US 191 is the best way to go with our 38' DP with toad. There may be some mountains to deal with but nothing looks too bad.

Google had us going from Dinosaur to Green River SP via CO 139. Looking at that route I'm thinking traveling on US 191 might be a better choice. Would appreciated any intel from those who have taken either route to Green River State Park or Moab.

We plan to stay in Arches NP and Dinosaur Monument Campgrounds. Are there any show stoppers on the park roads to the campgrounds ? We know its dry camping. We dry camp all the time so no issue there

Beach Livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2020, 11:45 PM   #2

I recommend you get the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers & RVers'. It's very helpful.

CO 139 (Douglas Pass, elevation 8268') southbound is 6 mi. of 6-8% grade with 25 mph speed limit and numerous 15 mph curves and switchbacks. After 2.5 mi there is a section of 10-12% grade. After the 6 mi. of 6-8% there are several miles of 4%.

We have no issues with mountain driving and love CO 550 (Red Mtn. Hwy) if you've read about it; however, we were not a fan of 139. For one thing... when we last drove and since there are no shoulders, the edge of the highway was crumbling to the drop off. We weren't comfortable with that. Perhaps it's repaved by now. It's a narrow highway so you're driving close to that edge.

Hwy 191 between Helper and Duchessne, UT - the southbound descent (9100' elevation) is 8% grade for 4.5 miles but it's not curvy with switchbacks.

From Flaming Gorge to Vernal: At 8428' elevation the southbound descent begins with 6 mi. of rolling grade, some of which is 5-6%. Then there is a brake check area. Then 5-8% grades with 10 switchbacks for 9 miles.

We've done all of the above with our 40' motohome towing the Jeep and they are doable and many RVers do them. Just get into lower gear at the top of the grade not midway and go slow down. If you're in the right gear you shouldn't have to use your brakes much.

It will be over before you know it! Enjoy.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Livin View Post
This summer we are going from Jackson WY to Monument Valley, stopping at Flaming Gorge, Dinosaur National Monument (West Entrance), Green River SP, Arches NP and Canyonlands NP on the way. It looks like US 191 is the best way to go with our 38' DP with toad. There may be some mountains to deal with but nothing looks too bad.

Google had us going from Dinosaur to Green River SP via CO 139. Looking at that route I'm thinking traveling on US 191 might be a better choice. Would appreciated any intel from those who have taken either route to Green River State Park or Moab.

We plan to stay in Arches NP and Dinosaur Monument Campgrounds. Are there any show stoppers on the park roads to the campgrounds ? We know its dry camping. We dry camp all the time so no issue there
TwoGypsies gives you good info. IMHO there is really not an issue with any of the routes suggested by either Twogypsies or Google or for that matter me, they are all doable and all fine.

I love Mountain driving and before the Internet and the Forum would drive all these routes with no Knowledge that I need to be a little Wary of these roads. You have gotten to the Southwest and the Rockies and by the time you head south out of the Tetons you will Know What YOU Like in the way of roads.

It is MHO that RT191 will get you to Green River and if you are intending to see it you would be fine taking RT 191 - just be forewarned that it has a lot of Very Fast Truck Traffic - and you will need to keep your eyes in the rear view mirrors to be sure you are not surprised as they scream past you. (That is not likely to happen on RT 139)

We all have memories - just different ones - as I love the switchbacks on the Mountain Roads and the Views they provide, so I tend to search them out for my routes and if found without a plan are a Pleasant Surprise/Reward. -

MAP of my suggested route - https://binged.it/2GtHdbW - it includes the Beautiful Drive along the Colorado River on RT 128 into Moab - a drive I will always Suggest, as it has - IMHO - Few Equals.

Having been on this Route I can say it was one I have never Forgotten, not because of the roads, but because it is through some of the most Beautiful Drives in the Southwest.

A few images will pop up here at the end just to keep you excited,

Hope this helps,

Tetons - RT 128 - Drive to Monument Valley - Out the Windshield at Monument Valley CG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG9544.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	460.1 KB
ID:	273365   Click image for larger version

Name:	128-7.jpg
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	273366  

Click image for larger version

Name:	n51mj4.jpg
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	273367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Monument Valley.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	273368  

Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:53 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
TwoGypsies Busskipper, thanks for the first hand intel.

This is not our first trip out west. We have gone west twice before towing our 30' Airstream just not to this area. We now have a MH w/ toad.

I don't have issues with mountain driving unless its on narrow crappy roads or the locals tell you don't do it. Sounds like 139 fits that bill. So we will take our time and travel 191. Slow and steady let the engine do work up and down the mountains.

We have traveled to Masa Verde Via US 160 but don't know that I would try 550 from Durango to Ouray CO with the MH. Would go with the toad in a heart beat.

I preferer to drive the less traveled route over interstates most of the time. Being retired folk we like to see the sights and the towns not just pass though on the interstates.

Looking forward to our trip. Thanks again for the intel and pictures.
Beach Livin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks