Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
US 301 from Virginia to Delaware

Hi all,

We will be traveling from Florida to Delaware very soon in our 38' Safari Simba. On past trips we stayed on 95 all the way from Jax to the Concord Pike in Wilmington. However, we endured a series of harrowing experiences on the Baltimore and Washington beltways, and we swore we would never, ever drive those highways again! We plan on taking 301 from VA to Middletown this time. Is this route still a good option? I know it can be slow and congested as the areas surrounding 301 are now heavily populated but it still seems to be a less stressful option than dealing with 95/695. Any insight you all could provide is truly appreciated. Thanks! LJ
wcjadnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis

I agree with you on the DC and Balt hassles and I always take 301.

I suggest exiting I95 at Carmel Church onto 207. Watch your speed along this stretch as it's radar patrolled.

207 becomes 301 at Bowling Green and stay on 301 all the way.

It does get a bit congested in Waldorf, La Plata around Annapolis and it may take a bit longer, but it's mostly a pleasant and pretty ride.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We live in Richmond after 20+ yrs in DC doing the beltway and I95......hate it. 95 and the beltway can be 2 hours, or 8!

301 to get around DC hassles is well worth it. There might be a little congestion south of Andrews AFB but stay on 301 to I695 past BWI airport and on up to the Balt Harbor tunnel and back onto I95.

Did this just last week.
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:31 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
301 is ok, the Henry Nice bridge is old narrow and junk, have to pay a toll going from MD to VA. Waldorf and LaPlata are not to bad. I used to stay in Waldorf 2 or 3 times a year seeing family, it's not that bad of an area
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #5

I just did the portion of VA into MD; only one slight problem. The bridge into MD was under construction and down to one lane at the very top. At least a 15 minute delay but take heart, no toll east bound. I have done the rest into DEL sometime ago, no problem for a rig except possible construction. I think Concord Pike is U.S. 202 which is a lot of red lights and malls northbound towards PA.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:45 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
After you get through Waldorf stay on 301 until you get to Bowie Md and then take Rt 50/301 across the Bay Bridge and then back on 301 all the way to Delaware. 301 after it splits off from 50 around Queenstown is almost deserted
from there to Delaware.

Remember you can't go through either tunnel at Baltimore if you chose to go back on 95 instead of staying on 301. There are also lots of tolls on that route.
dabrooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:58 PM   #7

We have used 301 south when traveling from Rhode Island to Florida on a January weekend pulling our FW for the last 3 years, we get on to it by taking exit 1 after the Delaware Memorial Bridge and it sure beats battling traffic.
This year we took it for the first time returning from Florida and it was a great ride. Definitely beats the traffic on the Baltimore beltway and Washington Beltway. Going north we got on at Ruther Glen, VA and off right before
the Delaware Memorial, we then took Jersey Turnpike, Garden State, and Tappan Zee bridge to get to I95 and home.
I prefer I-81 to I-78 to I-287 to the Tappan Zee Bridge, I feel for us it's a better less stress full route. Delmarva (301) is great but it's the NJ Turnpike and especially the Garden State at commuter time stink big time and I-95 isn't much better.
Don't know what Middletown your headed to but I hope this helps.
Westwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I second all the above kudos for 301 from almost anywhere in VA north to Delaware. As noted, take the US 50/301 Bridge at Annapolis, then stay on 301 north when it splits away from US 50 ( unless you're headed to Ocean City, MD).

301 in MD/DE is like Xanax for your soul, very sedate and calm, divided almost all the way, just a few miles of traffic lights and such after you come down off the Annapolis Bay Bridge, then not another light until Middletown, DE.

Once you cross the C&D Canal up at the very top, you have several choices as to how to proceed farther north. We live just across the river, so sometimes we do US 40 to US 13, sometimes we just hop on I-95 NB and do that. There was a LOT of construction around Exit 7 of I-95 (Christiana/Newark) the last few years, but it's almost all done now, except for barrel pickup. Still gets congested at times, but nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

The only thing you need to be aware of on 301 coming up the DelMarVa is a lot of at-grade crossings of the little county roads. People are usually pretty good at waiting for traffic to pass, but I've seen a half-dozen nutballs sit there and then jump across ahead of me when I was 30 yards away.

Enjoy!