RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2020, 06:43 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
US-85 Cheyenne to Spearfish

We are planning a trip through Colorado to Spearfish SD in late summer - hoping the travel restrictions are eased by then. I would like to get off I-25 in Cheyenne Wy and take the more direct route to Spearfish via US-85. Has anyone taken US-85 between Cheyenne and Spearfish? We have a 40 foot coach pulling a car. Steep pulls? Sharp curves? Low bridges? RR humps? Any info appreciated.

Thanks.

Chuck

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2020, 07:03 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good Morning Chuck,

That is my old stomping grounds! You will have no problems from Cheyenne to Four Corners. At Four Corners you have a decision. You can stay on US85. There are pretty good grades with curvy road from there to the intersection with I90.

US85 takes you through the towns of Lead and Deadwood. Might be a little congested.

You can choose to leave US85 at Cheyenne Crossing and take US14a to Spearfish. US14a is narrower with lots of curves. It depends on your faith in your driving skills. Your RV can do it! This is a VERY scenic drive. I would highly recommend it.

Or you could leave US85 at Four Corners and take WY585 to Sundance where you would pick up I90 to Speafish.

All are relatively moderate drives. Have fun!

Consult this webpage for current road conditions just before you head out.
https://map.wyoroad.info/wtimap/index.html

yeloduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 12:41 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
Good Morning Chuck,

That is my old stomping grounds! You will have no problems from Cheyenne to Four Corners. At Four Corners you have a decision. You can stay on US85. There are pretty good grades with curvy road from there to the intersection with I90.

US85 takes you through the towns of Lead and Deadwood. Might be a little congested.

You can choose to leave US85 at Cheyenne Crossing and take US14a to Spearfish. US14a is narrower with lots of curves. It depends on your faith in your driving skills. Your RV can do it! This is a VERY scenic drive. I would highly recommend it.

Or you could leave US85 at Four Corners and take WY585 to Sundance where you would pick up I90 to Speafish.

Thanks! We are gonna be in Spearfish for almost 2 weeks (5 days for Freightliner Rally and a week afterward) so I was thinking we would drive 14a in the toad. And other roads through the area, as well. I had looked at WY585 out of Four Corners and I think that might be the way we will go.

Your local knowledge is VERY helpful.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 04-24-2020, 12:55 PM   #4

I don't care if it is his old stopping grounds.DO NOT I REPEAT,DO NOT take spearfish canyon between Cheyenne crossing and spearfish. Do take it in your car ,it is arguably the most scenic drive in the black hills. Doing it in a 40 ft m.h. with a toad is stupid,lots and lots of blind corners where you will need at least a lane and a half
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 01:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post
I don't care if it is his old stopping grounds.DO NOT I REPEAT,DO NOT take spearfish canyon between Cheyenne crossing and spearfish. Do take it in your car ,it is arguably the most scenic drive in the black hills. Doing it in a 40 ft m.h. with a toad is stupid,lots and lots of blind corners where you will need at least a lane and a half

It really isn't that bad. I have driven it many times, both with and without my 5th wheel in tow. I have never needed more than one lane. The only real danger is being so absorbed in the magnificent scenery that you forget to watch the road.

While you're there, don't miss Roughlock Falls, about 1 mile west of Savoy, in FR 222. Spearfish Falls, behind the Latchstring Restaurant in Savoy is also a must see. BTW, the food is good, and reasonably priced.

About 5 miles north of Savoy, on the east side of 14a, Bridal Falls is worth a look. There is ample parking there, on the west side of 14a.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:08 PM   #6

I wouldn't hesitate to drive from Deadwood to Spearfish with my coach, motorcycle and toad on a dolly(61 feet long) on US14/14A. What I prefer to do (and have done) is ride that route back and forth repeatedly on the motorcycle. I like to ride it slowly in one direction just soaking in the beautiful scenery. I then like to ride it fast in the opposite direction just enjoying the twisties.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 03:34 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post
My brothe-in-law drove that road regularly in a 5000 gallon fuel truck. Eighteen wheelers travel it. If they can do it a 40' MH with a toad can do it too. My 34' with toad has NO problems.

As one person said...ya gotta pay attention...lots to see besides the road. Keep you eyes on the road.
yeloduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:19 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks to all for the info. We will likely take WY-585 Four Corners to Sundance, then I-90 to Spearfish.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 04-24-2020, 08:26 PM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post

This would be my choice..85/585/90
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
I wouldn't hesitate to drive from Deadwood to Spearfish with my coach, motorcycle and toad on a dolly(61 feet long) on US14/14A. What I prefer to do (and have done) is ride that route back and forth repeatedly on the motorcycle. I like to ride it slowly in one direction just soaking in the beautiful scenery. I then like to ride it fast in the opposite direction just enjoying the twisties.

Oh, so that was you?

When I follow Google street view through a part of that stretch of 14A the street view camera is following a motorcycle most of the way, heading north toward Spearfish.

WyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote