Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2022, 11:24 AM   #1

Utah 12 specifically between Bryce and Torrey

Doing some advance planning for a trip later in the year. I will be heading from Kanab to Torrey one day, pulling our 5er along behind us. This is a specific question:

How is UT 12 from Bryce to Torrey? We have pulled it in to Bryce with no issues, but never continued on 12 to Torrey. Very familiar with most UT and AZ routes, so if you would like to compare the grades, turns, and road conditions to someplace else, I can probably relate. E.g., similar to 89A up and down from Jacob Lake? Worse than 89 North in to Page?

Will head back using the more "pedestrian" route of 24 to 62 to Junction at 89, but wanted to take a trip and hit a piece of road we have never been on before.

Thoughts appreciated.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2022, 12:44 PM   #2

Stop at slackers in torrey. great burger place.
jeanluc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:20 PM   #3

Kanab to Torrey in one day is not advisable. You don't want to rush this drive. It's not a fast one.

89A and 89 around Page/Jacob Lake are 6%. From Kanab north on 89 to Mt. Carmel you'll have some 5-6% sections. Have you ever taken Hwy 9 into Zion from 89 and the tunnels? That's 6%. Have you driven out of Flagstaff heading north to Page on 89? You would have had a 6% there. If you've been to Bryce (easy drive) and don't plan on stopping there again, at least go to Kodachome State Park for a night - very pretty.

You are going to get many conflicting answers on Hwy 12 - some love it; some avoid it. Some that avoid it have never done the drive. We're ones who absolutely love it and have done it a few times - both directions with our 33' 5th wheel and also our 40' motorhome towing the Jeep.

Folks will mention the "Hogback" section. That section is only a couple miles long and is posted at 25mph, I believe. It's marked 14% but it's so short you really don't realize it. Everyone is going slow. It's gradual for a very short distance. It's a two-lane road with curves. Yes, the Hogback section drops down on the sides but if you're able to drive on the pavement you'll be just fine. There is a small shoulder and I believe one or two pulloffs but are usually taken. A few miles and it's over! It's nothing to avoid the whole drive for, in my opinion. Many, many large RVs do this drive. You don't have a Signature Line on this forum (recommended) so I don't know what you're driving.

The whole road from Bryce to Torrey is about 130 miles. I would suggest you stop for a night or two in Escalante and drive your car/truck in both directions to really explore along the highway. It's not a drive-thru highway. It's beautiful. Take your time.

The longest grade heading to Torrey is just south of Torrey and you'll have an uphill and then a downhill into Torrey. There's a nice national forest campground with big sites at the top on the right before your downhill. The downhill stairsteps at 6% for 5 miles. Then rolling hills for 4 miles followed by 10 miles of more stairstepping. The longest single section in the last part is at 8% for about 2 miles. (Even I-70 in Colorado has 7% grades for much longer)

There are similar but shorter hills along the way.

I highly recommend it!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:17 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
I guess if you have to you can do it in a day. I had to check, it is about 190 miles. But it isn't a 55 mph drive. Between Bryce and Torrey it is slow going - steep hills, sharpe curves, breathtaking sights - all the stuff that slows you down.

Like twogypsies suggested, it's quite a sight and you might want to stop one night. But if you can't, you can't.

You already got a good description of the route. We've done it in a 36' pusher and in a 39' fifth wheel. Neither were problematic.

I haven't been on those other roads you described but from what I hear if you can do those, you can do UT12.

In 2019 we spent 3 weeks between Bryce and Torrey and back to Kodachrome. So there is lots to see and do if you like all around there.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:49 AM   #5

Thanks for the opinions.

I have to say, I am shocked to hear feedback that the 185 miles from Kanab to Torrey is "too much" for a one day drive. I understand the Hogback is slow going ... but this seems exceedingly cautious. We will be spending a week in Torrey, it doesn't seem like a leisurely five or six hour drive is excessive on a travel day between locations. Perhaps thats just me.

Maybe we will take the standard route in to Torrey, and decide if we want to return via 12 after exploring the area a few days.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Klompus View Post
Thanks for the opinions.

I have to say, I am shocked to hear feedback that the 185 miles from Kanab to Torrey is "too much" for a one day drive. I understand the Hogback is slow going ... but this seems exceedingly cautious. We will be spending a week in Torrey, it doesn't seem like a leisurely five or six hour drive is excessive on a travel day between locations. Perhaps thats just me.

Maybe we will take the standard route in to Torrey, and decide if we want to return via 12 after exploring the area a few days.
As stated, you can certainly drive it in one day. What I was trying to say is that the whole route is gorgeous and unique and it's a shame just to do a drive thru. Even if you didn't want to stop and explore, I'd recommend doing it. You can explore from Torrey.
Old 07-06-2022, 02:11 PM   #7

Quote:
I have to say, I am shocked to hear feedback that the 185 miles from Kanab to Torrey is "too much" for a one day drive.
Me too.

We drove Highway 12 eastbound in a 40-foot motorhome with toad. We started in Panguitch, not Kanab, so we had a 1-hour head start on your route. We drove the appropriate pace for the road, stopping at any scenic turnouts we could fit in along the way. We weren't heading for Torrey but instead Capitol Reef National Park, where we spent the afternoon seeing the sights, and then drove another hour to an overnight spot on the side of the road.

So actually, the hour we were ahead of your route by being in Panguitch got added to the end of our trip because we went an hour past Torrey, which meant we did the 200-mile "don't do it in one day" route PLUS Capitol Reef NP.

It wasn't an arduous pace at all, and a lot of the scenery happens while you're driving, so I wouldn't necessarily suggest taking the standard route to Torrey instead (although I've never done it--maybe it has its charms?). I'd take Highway 12 at the beginning, and then decide if you want to take it on your return, too.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 05:43 PM   #8

Here are more ideas along Hwy 12. I guess we tour an area differently than others. Both ways are good - fast or slow. The experience is awesome!

https://myitchytravelfeet.com/drive-...-scenic-byway/

https://www.visitutah.com/articles/t...cenic-byway-12
Old 07-07-2022, 07:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Here are more ideas along Hwy 12. I guess we tour an area differently than others. Both ways are good - fast or slow. The experience is awesome!

https://myitchytravelfeet.com/drive-...-scenic-byway/

https://www.visitutah.com/articles/t...cenic-byway-12
Thanks again. And you hit on a good point.

But it's not so much a matter of "fast or slow". I love scenic drives, and seek them out every chance I get. And we usually take them at a leisurely pace. But the planned week long stop in the area is Torrey, and that will be our exploring point. So to me, no need to limit travel days to 100 miles.

This is definitely a "point of view" difference between full timer style and destination travelers. My 3 week itinerary is basically planned already - just fine tuning some specific routes. So even though we will have a few week long locations to stop for "work and play", the odd 100 mile travel day with unplanned stops are not necessarily in the cards

If we didn't have plans on the front and back ends ... suggestions like those make sense. So although we are on the road for long stretches almost every month ... it is still planned a bit tighter than those who are fortunate enough to be able to "go with the flow" more often.
Old 07-07-2022, 07:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
Me too.

We drove Highway 12 eastbound in a 40-foot motorhome with toad. We started in Panguitch, not Kanab, so we had a 1-hour head start on your route. We drove the appropriate pace for the road, stopping at any scenic turnouts we could fit in along the way. We weren't heading for Torrey but instead Capitol Reef National Park, where we spent the afternoon seeing the sights, and then drove another hour to an overnight spot on the side of the road.

So actually, the hour we were ahead of your route by being in Panguitch got added to the end of our trip because we went an hour past Torrey, which meant we did the 200-mile "don't do it in one day" route PLUS Capitol Reef NP.

It wasn't an arduous pace at all, and a lot of the scenery happens while you're driving, so I wouldn't necessarily suggest taking the standard route to Torrey instead (although I've never done it--maybe it has its charms?). I'd take Highway 12 at the beginning, and then decide if you want to take it on your return, too.
Appreciate this feedback. You probably convinced me to stick with the plan of using 12 in to Torrey.
Old 09-06-2022, 04:58 PM   #11

Update

I thought I would provide an update to my thread, now that I made the drive that I asked about in the original post.

Actually, we drove from Page, AZ to Torrey, UT in one leisurely day, so a bit longer than my original Kanab to Torrey plan.

I have no regrets on making that drive at all. It was wonderful and breathtaking, despite the stiff breezes on the sections North of Escalante, and the fresh gravel and oil on the road north of Boulder.

For those concerned, the true "Hog Back" section is a couple miles long at best, and certainly not the most "troublesome" portion of the drive in my opinion. The road is plentiful and in good repair, there are ample turn outs, the curves are moderate, and nobody is speeding through the area. Please do not be dissuaded for fear of this section.

That being said ... grades along portions of the entire route are indeed extreme. if you rely solely on your brake pads, you are tempting fate. Be responsible, plan for the extended down grades, and you will be rewarded with a breathtaking drive. Likewise, heading up those steep grades, just buckle in and enjoy the leisurely pace.

Not surprisingly, it now ranks among my favorite drives in the US. With our life, we can NOT take a week to travel 200 miles and stopping to spend time at every point of interest. Sometimes you just have to settle for an incredible view while getting from point A to point B....
Old 09-06-2022, 07:21 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
I thought I would provide an update to my thread, now that I made the drive that I asked about in the original post.

Actually, we drove from Page, AZ to Torrey, UT in one leisurely day, so a bit longer than my original Kanab to Torrey plan.

I have no regrets on making that drive at all. It was wonderful and breathtaking, despite the stiff breezes on the sections North of Escalante, and the fresh gravel and oil on the road north of Boulder.

For those concerned, the true "Hog Back" section is a couple miles long at best, and certainly not the most "troublesome" portion of the drive in my opinion. The road is plentiful and in good repair, there are ample turn outs, the curves are moderate, and nobody is speeding through the area. Please do not be dissuaded for fear of this section.

That being said ... grades along portions of the entire route are indeed extreme. if you rely solely on your brake pads, you are tempting fate. Be responsible, plan for the extended down grades, and you will be rewarded with a breathtaking drive. Likewise, heading up those steep grades, just buckle in and enjoy the leisurely pace.

Not surprisingly, it now ranks among my favorite drives in the US. With our life, we can NOT take a week to travel 200 miles and stopping to spend time at every point of interest. Sometimes you just have to settle for an incredible view while getting from point A to point B....
Thanks for the update. Good to hear you enjoyed the drive. We love that area (as I think I posted earlier).
Old 09-06-2022, 11:36 PM   #13

So glad you loved the drive. There are many horror stories out there, especially about the short Hogback section.

Tags
utah