Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2020, 08:17 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Utah NP trip

I have planned a trip to Utah for the national parks. Begin in Zion River for 4 nights to see Zion NP and the area. Then on to Ruby's for 5 nights for Bryce Canyon and the surrounding area. I believe that would include Grand Escalante. Then on to Torrey for 4 nights and Moab for 4 nights to see the other 3 parks.

Have I allowed enough time? I intend to take advantage of the shuttles where available. There are so many sites to see and explore. What hiking I do will be by myself. DW not capable of hiking anything other than a flat trail for less than a mile total.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks

My trip would start on April 28. Is that too early? Will weather be a problem during that time?

After that it is on to Yellowstone and Glacier before the summer is over.
2000 CC Magna #5840 2017 Chevrolet Equinox
Air Force One braking
Griffin379 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2020, 08:50 PM   #2

The end of April/first part of May is a good time for your trip to Utah. Gorgeous weather and it may even be hot at Zion & Moab. I'd recommend taking off one night at Torrey and adding the night to Moab. Lots of ground to cover in Moab. Check that the Jeep Jamboree won't be going on at that time. Unless you're participating, you don't want to be there then.

Yellowstone mid-May will probably still have snow on some of the hiking trails but it's a nice time to be there. I hope you're including Grand Teton Nat'l Park, also. We enjoy the hiking there more than Yellowstone.

Glacier's Going-to-the-Sun Rd. probably won't be open in May but you may be lucky. It's a main reason to be there. However, they work on both ends of the road at the same time so there will be hiking available, just not in the top area.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 05:44 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Twogypsies and I seem to think a lot alike. I would also drop one night from Torrey and add at least one to Moab, especially if you enjoy hiking. (Whale Rock in Canyonlands is unique and amazing!), And I would definitely include Grand Teton, as well, allowing at least several days, if at all possible.

As for Glacier National Park, be aware that major construction projects are scheduled through 2021 that will result in road closures. Check the alerts on Glacier's page on the National Park Service web site (www.nps.gov) to determine the extent of the impact on your visit. In fact, I'd suggest checking the NPS site not only for trip planning purposes, but to see if there are alerts for any of the other Parks you plan to visit. Being aware of any potential problems will allow to to make plans that will optimize your time in the Parks.

Enjoy your spectacular adventure!

Mary
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin379 View Post
I have planned a trip to Utah for the national parks. Begin in Zion River for 4 nights to see Zion NP and the area. Then on to Ruby's for 5 nights for Bryce Canyon and the surrounding area. I believe that would include Grand Escalante. Then on to Torrey for 4 nights and Moab for 4 nights to see the other 3 parks.

Have I allowed enough time? I intend to take advantage of the shuttles where available. There are so many sites to see and explore. What hiking I do will be by myself. DW not capable of hiking anything other than a flat trail for less than a mile total.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks

My trip would start on April 28. Is that too early? Will weather be a problem during that time?

After that it is on to Yellowstone and Glacier before the summer is over.
Add Capital Reefs and if time permits Cedar Breaks while at Ruby's

The State Parks are great there as well
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:10 AM   #5

Well the drive to Escalante from Ruby's to see Grand Staircase is an hour or two. I don't recall exactly only that when we did the drive in reverse that it took a lot longer than expected. The Grand Staircase either requires the willingness to drive far down gravel roads or doing some hiking. The slot canyons have entrance trails that have a lot of elevation change. At least the ones we did.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin379 View Post
I have planned a trip to Utah for the National Parks.

Certainly take a long hard look at the State Parks as many are more than Worthy of a stop. Kodachrome - Goblins ....https://stateparks.utah.gov/activities/camping/camping/

Begin in Zion River for 4 nights to see Zion NP and the area.
Then on to Ruby's for 5 nights for Bryce Canyon and the surrounding area.
I believe that would include Grand Escalante.
Then on to Torrey for 4 nights and
Moab for 4 nights to see the other 3 parks.

Might just add a day or two to your Moab schedule as there is a LOT there to see and do - Do not Miss the drive along the Colorado River on RT 128 going out of town - Beautiful!

Do a little more research on the Parks to see what ranger services might be available for the Non Hiker - if you are really up for a Big Reward for a Big Workout look at doing Angles Landings - IMHO - pretty close to Heaven in Utah.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

My trip would start on April 28.

Lot of really good info here - 4runnerguy is the authority in Utah and Colorado - https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/29448394.cfm

Is that too early?

For us it would be too Late - But thankfully we are all different, we tend to try to go to the Utah parks when cool/cold and when everyone is tucked in the covers or watching Football.

Will weather be a problem during that time?

Weather is weather - if you don't like it just wait a bit, it will change, often very quickly in the Southwest.

After that it is on to Yellowstone and
Glacier before the summer is over.

Are you forgetting Colorado? - Yellowstone will begin to fill in June and Going to the Sun Road usually opens by the 4th of July, so keep those dates in mind. Tetons were likely just forgotten but are surely in your plans.

One more note, when heading North try to catch Dino NM and Flaming Gorge NRA - both are on the way and well worth the Effort. as is Cody - Wind River Canyon - Chief Joseph Highway - Beartooth Highway.

Tried to answer your questions but here is a similar reply to Utah Parks;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
When?

Thinking you just want to Drive Through each not see or experience any of them?

Possible but not Suggested.

What do you Like?

What do you enjoy?

What will be the Mission of this trip?

You do know that it's a big state?

You do know that the 5 are only a small fraction of what is out there to see?

State Parks - National Monuments - 4X4 trails - Lake Powell - Indian Reservations - Monument Valley - Rivers - .....................

https://utah.com/five-national-parks-five-days

Utah’s Five Glorious National Parks, 6 Days | Fodor's Travel

How to See Utah's Mighty 5 in Seven Days

OK ..............

19 summers of RV road trip travels across the USA and Canada | Lolo's Extreme Cross Country RV Trips

Stan Parker's Photo Galleries at pbase.com

https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel

These will give you even more food for thought,

Will wait to see some answers,
Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:49 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
It will take me a week to absorb all of this information. I have the time to see it all so I guess do the planning.

Thanks for the info.
2000 CC Magna #5840 2017 Chevrolet Equinox
Air Force One braking
Griffin379 is online now   Reply With Quote