RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2020, 06:24 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Utah routing for 45 ft motorhome

Iím planning a trip next September and will be coming into Utah from the North on I 15 and will be in a 45 ft motorhome towing an SUV. I want to visit all the national parks and other major attractions such as Kodachrome Basin then go to Grand Canyon.

The problem is that many of the roads between these places appear to be better suited for a Jeep than an RV and I definitely donít want to go through the Zion tunnel.

Anyone have recommendations for routing that will get me to all these places without too much stress? Time is not an issue so I donít need the fastest.

Thanks.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2020, 09:05 AM   #2

Have done this twice when we had our 45’ rig and towed a Jeep. No big deal. Even the tunnel is ok as long as you stay in the middle. Just us I 15 and cut across to get to major national parks. I use google maps and still had no issues when we did it. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 10-11-2020, 11:52 AM   #3

Exclamation

Jerry:

You may want to check out the info below that I found on this website regarding the tunnel:
https://www.nps.gov/zion/frequently-...and-tunnel.htm

Not sure when Trapper2020 went through there last but there may be new regulations:

Good luck!
O LLOYD

Tunnel:

Q. Why do I have to pay a tunnel one-way traffic control fee?
A. Zion National Park charges $15 for oversized vehicles for the one-way traffic control service through the Zion-Mount Carmel Highway Tunnel. The purpose of the fee is to offset the cost of ensuring safe passage for oversized vehicles. The Zion Tunnel has been the site of numerous vehicle accidents through the years. With the tunnel one-way traffic control system in place, safety for all vehicles has improved greatly.

Q. How many times can I go through the tunnel in my oversized vehicle for the $15 fee?
A. The fee is good for two trips through the tunnel with the same vehicle in a seven day period.

Q. Do I get a discount on the tunnel fee if I have a Senior Pass or Access Pass?
A. No. There is no discount for Senior Pass or Access Pass holders.

Q. What are the size limits for an oversized vehicle?
A. Any vehicle that is 11 feet 4 inches high or higher and 7 feet 10 inches wide or wider needs the one-way traffic control service. Any vehicle 13 feet 1 inch high or higher cannot pass through the tunnel.
Length restrictions are 40 feet for a single vehicle and 50 feet for any vehicle combination
O Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:06 PM   #4

When we went through last month they were only able to take cash ($15.) I was led to believe this was temporary.

Mike
Mr_Moustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:15 PM   #5

Utah highways are excellent for a big rig.

You can do all this in reverse but one route would be I-15 south to I-40 east to Williams, AZ. Stay there and visit Grand Canyon. Or... if you can get one of the big sites in the park itself, Trailer Village is a great place to stay. The free shuttle stops right there and you can even walk to the Rim.

Leaving the Canyon ... if staying in Williams go east on I-40 to Flagstaff, AZ and pick up Hwy 89 north. Or... if staying at Trailer Village in the park just head east out of the park to Hwy 89 north.

Take 89 to Page, AZ (Glenn Canyon Nat'l Rec Area) and on to Kanab, UT - Coral Pink Sands State Park is a nice day trip and also Best Friends Animal Sanctuary - awesome. Sign up beforehand for a in-depth tour or do minimal on your own. Grand Canyon North Rim is also easily accessible from Kanab/Jacob Lake & Hwy 167 to the Canyon. It's the 'quiet' side of the Canyon. Stay in Jacob Lake or Kanab.

If you didn't want to go to Page or Kanab then from the South Rim and 89 you could pick up 89A to Jacob Lake and Fredonia.

Either way... get to Fredonia, AZ if you don't want to do the Zion Tunnels.

From Fredonia, AZ take 389 west which becomes UT 59 taking you to Hurricane, UT and Hwy 9. Go east on Hwy 9 and there are RV parks to stay for visiting Zion National Park. You can exit Zion via the tunnels or backtrack on Hwy 9 to I-15 north. Pick up Hwy 20 east taking you to 89. (Don't use Hwy 14 - it's steep).

From UT 89 again you can pick up Hwy 12 east. You'll have one tunnel but it's tall enough for the biggest RVs and semi trucks and it's short and flat ground. Soon after will be Bryce Nat'l Park. Ruby's is a nice place to stay and the free shuttle stops there. If able, be sure to do a hike down into Bryce Canyon. It's a fairy wonderland down there!

Leaving Bryce continue east on Hwy 12 and you'll come to Kodachrome State Park if that's a destination or else do it as a day trip from Bryce. You could also make a stop on 12 at Escalante and explore along Hwy 12.

Continue on Hwy 12 to Torrey, UT for visiting Capitol Reef Nat'l Park.

Then take 24 to I-70 or for a beautiful drive take 24 to 95 toward Blanding, UT. From Blanding you could take UT191 south to 163 to Monument Valley for a tour. Stay at Gouldings RV. Then north on 191 to get to Moab.

If taking 24 to I-70 go east on I-70 to 191 south for Moab/Arches/Canyonlands Nat'l Parks. Definitely stop at the Moab Visitor Center for some trail maps to take your Jeep for wonderful riding. There's a nice evening Colorado River cruise at Moab. Arches is a hiking park and if able make arrangements beforehand to do the Fiery Furnace ranger led tour - very unique. Delicate Arch is nice late afternoon/early evening - especially if there's a full moon. Take advantage of the ranger programs in the national parks.

Each national park has a great website giving things to do, hikes, places to stay, road information and any special alerts. Check them out. Here is Arches:

https://www.nps.gov/arch/planyourvisit/hiking.htm

Hope this helps! They are all favorite places of ours.

Next stop
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:07 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
2 thoughts.....

Kodachrome - only a few sites that will accommodate anything over 40'. Reserve early. And know that there is no cell signal - none.

Utah highway 12..... steep grades, many tight turns. Doable for you but if you're worried about a tunnel will you do OK on the infamous 12?
Old 10-11-2020, 06:26 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Great info, thanks.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:27 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
2 thoughts.....

Kodachrome - only a few sites that will accommodate anything over 40'. Reserve early. And know that there is no cell signal - none.

Utah highway 12..... steep grades, many tight turns. Doable for you but if you're worried about a tunnel will you do OK on the infamous 12?

Infamous 12 sounds ominous!
Old 10-11-2020, 08:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Iím planning a trip next September and will be coming into Utah from the North on I 15 and will be in a 45 ft motorhome towing an SUV.

Few question - where will you be coming from? - might be smart to get onto the Utah State Parks web site - lots to see and do. Dino and Flaming Gorge are worth the effort if you are up North.

I want to visit all the national parks and other major attractions such as Kodachrome Basin then go to Grand Canyon.

If you really want to enjoy and see all this you will need a lot more time than I think you realize - one, its a Big State and it is really filled with Some/Many amazing places - more than just the National and State Parks - Great people and some interesting stories, North Rim and Lake Powell are not to be Forgotten.

The problem is that many of the roads between these places appear to be better suited for a Jeep than an RV and I definitely donít want to go through the Zion tunnel.

While all the highways in the USA need Work - Utah has some great drives - and if you just slow down a bit they might just surprise you - Funny I've been to Zion over a Doze Times and I Love the Tunnel, and would never miss the ride through, it is well worth the trouble and the time (IMHO) - There are many Roads (Gravel) that are great for that Jeep you are towing, talk with the Locals and they will clue you in as to where to go. In Moab be sure to drive RT 128 along the Colorado River - Just Special............on and on

Anyone have recommendations for routing that will get me to all these places without too much stress? Time is not an issue so I donít need the fastest.

Look over some of the many posts on Utah they are many and will certainly help educate you as to what to expect.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/gran...-a-425112.html

Thanks.
Last little piece of advice is that you think of doing much of this in the Late Fall/Winter - fewer people - Cooler - Less Stress - and Still Beautiful.

WHile some of the roads need work in Utah and Colorado they almost all lead to a great Drive.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:22 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Infamous 12 sounds ominous!
UT12 is great drive. It does have a bunch of sharpe turns and steep grades. But folks do it all the time. You just have to watch the road and not the scenery.

It's all 2 lane. There are some pullouts you would make folks happy if you pull over and let others by. And you can get out and enjoy the sights.

I conducted a caravan once that took folks over UT 12 from Torrey to Bryce. Some (at least one big rig guy and a few others) chose to go around on UT24, I-70 and US89.

It's all about you comfort level. You can check Google Earth to get an elevation profile and The Mountain Directory book too.

No matter how you go, if you haven't been before you'll enjoy the ride and scenery.

Last year we spent about 4 weeks between Bryce, Kodachrome, Escalante and Torrey and still could have spent more time exploring the back roads and hiking.

Tags
motor, motorhome, utah