Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2019, 08:23 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Utah SR12

Ok we are staying at the North junction of 24 and scenic SR12 in UT. I don't think traveling scenic 12 to Bryce with a 37' MH towing and needing to do it in one day would be very enjoyable. It's a little over a 100 mi with a 8% uphill and a 12% down hill grade if I'm correct. I'm driving a gasser and and not sure how well it would do. Is it anymore narrower than 128 leading into Moab? I've done Monarch and Cimarron with snow but not sure if it's too long for a day drive? What say you guys that have done it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2019, 09:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Ok we are staying at the North junction of 24 and scenic SR12 in UT. I don't think traveling scenic 12 to Bryce with a 37' MH towing and needing to do it in one day would be very enjoyable. It's a little over a 100 mi with a 8% uphill and a 12% down hill grade if I'm correct. I'm driving a gasser and and not sure how well it would do. Is it anymore narrower than 128 leading into Moab? I've done Monarch and Cimarron with snow but not sure if it's too long for a day drive? What say you guys that have done it?
Rt 12 - RT 24 and RT 128 are all fine in Utah - I've driven them all in the same day in my old 37' Trop-i-Cal with the v-10 and with the Toad - I loved it - Have done it in the Winter in the TS in the Snow and Loved it. Not sure that I really Understand the Question?

Might, if you are questioning it, just drive it in the Toad First then go back Hook up and do it all again - It's a road - RT 12 - that I've driven a hundred miles out of my way to drive it again - Beautiful.

Goblins and Capitol Reef are also along the way and deserve some Quality time also.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #3

You won't have any problems. It would be a shame to pass it up. Many RVs drive it. You won't be alone. It's a typical 2-lane highway. I think the issue some folks have is that there are no wide shoulders although you will have sufficient amounts of pull-offs, if needed. If you know how to use your brakes on downhills you'll be fine. Get into low gear at the top; not midway. You can easily do it in 1/2 day without stopping but stopping in Escalante overnight would give you a chance to explore along the highway.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:53 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Had a rainy day today in Torrey so we drove the towed to Escalante. The uphill climbs are really long and steep and numerous. The downhills don’t bother me after getting Monarch and Cimarron under my belt. It’s the long steep uphills I’m not wanting to do after driving in the car today. We will do the other direction to Escalante from Bryce when we get there for we will have plenty of time. IMO Monarch is easier than the Boulder MT pass.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Ran into this old post by mpond - Matt's Photo's really show it all - while this is on a different forum it is filled with great images that tell the story.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/25301227.cfm

Look over and see if it helps - Need a solid connection, as it is Image Heavy - BUT - as they say a Picture is Worth a Thousand Words. This really shows his trip and should answer any questions with an Image

Hope this helps,
Old 05-20-2019, 12:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Ran into this old post by mpond - Matt's Photo's really show it all - while this is on a different forum it is filled with great images that tell the story.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/25301227.cfm

Thanks for posting this. Gorgeous photos of a beautiful drive.

I haven't heard from Matt Pond in a long time, have you?
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Thanks for posting this. Gorgeous photos of a beautiful drive.

I haven't heard from Matt Pond in a long time, have you?
Just sent me a personal note - a reply from me checking in on him a year ago

He has been busy raising kids but still gets out - said he is planning future trips and might post again if Life allows.

I had that link from a while back and it just answers with Images so many of the questions posters have about those areas. RT 12 with 10 images is really easy to understand.

And Yes, Matt did Post some Images - he has reupped on irv2 so we may see him here in the future, will be great to see how the kids have grown up and the things he might enjoy now.

Kind of a trip down Memory lane for the Old Folks like me. .

This one in the San Juan's has always been a favorite - https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/26349709.cfm

Another trip ...............