Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Very Sticky Rand McNally GPS Cover

My GPS rubber cover has become very sticky to the touch. Handling the unit leaves your fingers very sticky. Not much fun to handle it.
I wrote to Rand McNally concerning the issue and they responded if the unit is within warranty to send it back. It is not in warranty and they said $99.00 is the service fee.
My feeling is it is a product deficiency and should be covered, regardless of the warranty period.
The suggestions by them in a return e mail was to wipe it with a wipe, does not work.
I used some powder on the case and most of the stickiness was covered up but it now looks terrible.
Anybody had any luck with them replacing the cover?

Just another Rand poor customer service issue.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2019, 03:04 PM   #2

Just spend the $99.00 and go on with your life.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:13 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
rand and good sam both suck
Old 11-06-2019, 04:38 PM   #4

Those rubber covers on various items seem to deteriorate after a while. I had a pair of FRS/GRMS radios that did the same thing. I ended up getting rid of them because I couldn't stand to use them.

Maybe there is some kind of sealer that can correct the ugliness.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:27 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That cover must be made of the same rubber/plastic that is on the steering wheel horn covers and dash boards of older vehicles. Over time it becomes a sticky mess. What I found that brought my steering wheel cover back to life was Mothers Back-to-Black Trim and Plastic Restorer. It's the stuff you renew the black trim on your car. I tried all kinds of stuff and just happen to give this a try and it worked. Hope it helps you.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:06 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Stang37
Tried the Mothers back to black and it worked better than expected. I can now handle the unit with out getting sticky fingers
Saved the $99.00 and getting on with life
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:15 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad it work for you. I apply a coating every few months just in case. So far no sticky mess.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:16 AM   #8

Sticky GPS

Will try out the mothers but after several attempts to remove this impossibly thick goo I tried this. Plain old isopropyl rubbing alcohol scrubbed in with plain scotch Brite pad without attached sponge. My thinking was if the alcohol could loosen the goo the pad could capture it instead of smearing it. To give you an idea how thick this adhesive like goo was, I first ran my pocket knife sideways along the plastic surface. Coils and globs came up and looked like rubber cement. I cut the scotch Brite pad in narrow strips to present a clean surface for goo capture. Maybe another alcohol type will work better like denatured alcohol.

I can pick up the GPS without that nasty sticky feeling for now. Will not leave it in the jeep with hot sun here in Florida again.

Good luck. Will try Mothers.

Be careful of the screen. I did not use the alcohol on that surface. Besides I couldn't even imagine a sticky screen.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 11:38 AM   #9

Sticky Rand McNally case solution

I tried the back to blue. Some results but not acceptable to me.
“GOO GONE” is the product to clean the sticky off the GPS case. Lowe’s or Home Depot or Amazon should have it.
Kimosabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 10:17 AM   #10

Angry Rand McNally GPS RVND 7725

Our Rand McNally RVND 7725 GPS did the same exact thing and it is a mess, tried to use it last week and could hardly get the keyboard to work as the whole thing is an entire sticky mess.

I don't mind paying 99.00 for another case from the manufacturer, however I agree with the original posting by depchief. This should not havehappened and RAND McNally should replace these for nothing as it's obviously a manufactures defect. I will try and clean the thing with Mothers back to back first before putting any more money into this thing. Thanks for your posting.
W4CLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 02:39 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Make a paste from baking soda and water. Rub it on with with a soft cloth. Try it, you will like it!

Tags
cover, gps