Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2018, 02:45 PM   #1

Virginia to Arizona in December

I'm starting to plan a trip from northern Virginia to Arizona (via El Paso) in early December. We'll be spending the winter in Arizona and returning to Virginia in March. Is it safe to plan on I-81 and I-40 at that time of year or is the risk of winter weather too high. I can take a more southern route if necessary but I've read I-20 is terrible.

If I take I-40 what's the best option to turn south for El Paso?
ageishecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2018, 02:56 PM   #2
RV LIFE Support Team

Which ever way you go be well aware of the weather and that there are not many campgrounds in West Texas.

Several years ago, in Feb, we spent 3 days in Ft. Stockton, TX with 8-10" of snow and a 24 hour power failure in the town. Water was out also since the pumps wern't working so keep your water tank fairly full.

If you encounter weather just be prepard to wait it out.

I10 in West Tx is in very good shape, I don't recall I20 being bad either.

In December I would get south as fast as possible, the roads in LA are generally bad. This year we had a rally in Sedalia, MO and drove to VA via I70/I64. Road was fine. We have also driven I81 many times and it has been fine also. No experience with I40 other than it sure looks hilly.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:32 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
We did that trip in January, February, March of this year. Left Richmond and headed south to I-10. Weather was below freezing cold until we were half across Texas. Had a great time and found the highways in decent condition. People complain about the highways too much imo. We had no reservations and had no problem finding a place to camp. Take your time, use all the camping apps and enjoy the trip across this great country. We really liked southern Arizona. So much to do and see. Beautiful country. Good luck.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:42 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We took I-85 down to Atlanta and then I-20 across the country to I-10 just before El Paso. We tried to go through the major cities during non-rush hour times.
I think all the interstates are rough these days.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog2you View Post
We did that trip in January, February, March of this year. Left Richmond and headed south to I-10. Weather was below freezing cold until we were half across Texas. Had a great time and found the highways in decent condition. People complain about the highways too much imo. We had no reservations and had no problem finding a place to camp. Take your time, use all the camping apps and enjoy the trip across this great country. We really liked southern Arizona. So much to do and see. Beautiful country. Good luck.
Did you take I-95 all the way to Jacksonville and then pick up I-10?
Old 06-13-2018, 07:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
We took I-85 down to Atlanta and then I-20 across the country to I-10 just before El Paso. We tried to go through the major cities during non-rush hour times.
I think all the interstates are rough these days.
What time of year did you travel?
Old 06-13-2018, 08:00 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We’ve driven from Fredericksburg to Phoenix the past two Januarys on I-40. Weather wasn’t an issue either time.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:07 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ageishecker View Post
Did you take I-95 all the way to Jacksonville and then pick up I-10?
We planned to but we detoured in Georgia and took 82 thru Waycross and then 319 to Tallahassee. We followed I-10 mostly but took alot of detours going to Arizona.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:41 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We have traveled to Tucson area from NY in January several years. I start on I-20 and always check the weather daily to decide if I-20 or I-10 would be the best route for the next several days. We check the weather when ever traveling and especial in the winter. Below are weather sites we use.

National Weather Service https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...&lon=-109.5497

Typical Weather https://weatherspark.com/

Windy wind map https://www.windy.com/?gust,33.138,-77.168,3

AccuWeather https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/na...ar-interactive

Safe Travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arizona