Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2017, 09:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
i've traveled i 40 many times in the winter. not very picturesque. but faster most of the times. i have been stranded in blizzards and ice storms more than once. i've had the good sense to get off the road and into a campground before the weather got too bad.
west of dallas, i 20 to i 10 isn't bad at all, other than the headwind.
i 20 runs into i10 ways west of dallas. from there, i 10 is all good road. there is lots to look at along the way on either road, but i use i 10 most of the times in the winter.
zeeks route is a great one if the weather is good, or even moderate. ive gone that way in the fall, but not in the winter. carlsbad caverns is a must if you go that way.
just be careful of other drivers. bad road conditions seem to bring them out. even more so than good weather.
i make no comment on my own driving, but in the last 18 years, ive driven over 800,000 miles with rv's and my work truck without accidents. in every state in the lower 48.
just luck, not skill.

Keep Up the Good LUCK,....
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2017, 09:35 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If it helps, earlier this month, we traveled East from Phoenix to Junction TX on I10. We had no issues with I10 along this stretch.

From Phoenix we stayed at the Las Cruces - KOA, then a Good Sams campground in Junction TX. Home
Both met our needs. Would stay at either again.

We have family at both locations (CA and VA), and normally take I40 or I64 during the Spring or Fall. Freezing rain and icing conditions due to fog would concern me, so go as far south as you can, and like others have said, keep an eye on the weather and determine you next stop, if the weather turns for the worse. With that said, I wouldn't hesitate to do it.

Safe travels!
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Go South young man....
I've seen freezing fog on I 10 in W TX in Dec twice. After Thanksgiving I 40 is way too unpredicable. Several 6-8k ft elevations. Watch the weather very closely.
I have also seen freezing conditions on I-10 in West Texas in December...it's not unheard of for sure. I have also experienced some quite frigid temperatures as well. Got out of the car in Deming, NM one year for breakfast and it was 10F. Brrr.

I've made a number of trips from Texas to the West Coast over the years around the holidays and even along I-10 the weather can be unpredictable. The high elevations seen from West Texas into Tucson certainly play a role.

West of Tucson is more predictable, lower elevations and desert.
brons2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:43 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Can you fly instead? That is a lot of driving in one month, especially with winter weather. What is your destination in CA, that is about a 1500 mile wide target, as stated? What kind of rig?
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin View Post
Can you fly instead? That is a lot of driving in one month, especially with winter weather. What is your destination in CA, that is about a 1500 mile wide target, as stated? What kind of rig?
Seriously?
And miss an opportunity to experience a great adventure like the one they are about to embark on.

Personally, I wouldn’t miss an opportunity to do what they are about to do. But I’m the type who loves to travel, in any kind of weather or road conditions.

Maybe I’m a little crazy, but that’s just me, and if the op is not the adventuress type, do what ever you’re comfortable with.

A lot of driving in one month? I’m finding that a little hard to agree with. But then maybe being used to driving that distance in a week is odd, but for sure, demanding and not just a pleasure cruise.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:00 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
I still believe that's an aggressive plan, especially in winter. These folks are looking at 20 days of driving exclusive of Wx delays. There are Road Closed gates on the Interstates for a reason. There are snow chain requirements for a reason. These folks have at least 3 mountain ranges to cross so they need more slack in the schedule, imho. If the destination is Southern California, just get down to I 10 as soon as they can and get good weather info. West of SAT there are good RV parks to hole up all the way. Biggest threat out there is high wind, 45-50 on occasion. Some ice and snow but predictable. We live in central TX and have done both ends of this trip multiple times. Never all the way cross country.
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:28 PM   #21

From inside New Mexico, the Hwy 380 to 70 connection could be as treacherous as I40 if I40 is experiencing weather. Carlsbad Caverns is a good stop. If a stop at White Sands national monument is planned, Oliver Lee State Park has a beautiful campground and low impact hiking trail (not sure of hookups) and is worth the detour.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:51 PM   #22

Mid Atlantic Campers
We are doing the same thing but our timeline is roughly 2 1/2 months. Sorry but no interest in CA unless DW convinces me otherwise. We plan on going 95 S to 10. Planning on lots of stops and enjoying the ride. To the OP lot of miles on short time. Enjoy the trip!
Old 11-09-2017, 09:22 PM   #23

As several people have said, I-40 can be a pain in winter. But check weather as you approach Arizona. If clear, then get yourself up to the Grand Canyon. Should be on everyone’s bucket list...not to be missed!
Old 11-09-2017, 09:30 PM   #24

Last year I was planning to take I40 from Cali to NJ of there about. When leaving Cali a cold front came down from Canada and I was forced all the way down to I10 with freezing temperatures on I40 and I20. I would just say to adjust your plans with the weather. After all this is leisure time not work time. Where flexibility is king.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:36 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Let Us Know

Let us know the route options you plan. We can all chime in with interesting places to stay, eat, visit.

As an example... if you stay in Las Cruces (better to stay in White Sands National Monument) you have to go to La Mesilla (a suburb) where an old Spanish town square is home to La Posta. La Posta is one of the old Mexican restaurants in the area. Best green chile sauce!

A must go.. if you stop here.

FWIW
zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california