Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2019, 12:28 PM   #1

WA coast to Spokane in September; Hwy. 2, I-90 or Hwyy 12 to I-90?

We are working on our trip to Banff (this September) and would like to know what you think of these highways. We live on the Washington Coast (west of Olympia) and have a Toyota Tundra pulling a 22' TT. We are very much newbies.

We now have the "Mountain Directory West" and have never been to Mt. Rainier. We would stay somewhere in the middle of the state and then on to Sandpoint or Bonners Ferry, Idaho for the second night. Then off to Radium Hot Springs, BC.

So, suggestions are
1. I-5 to Hwy. 12 going east to Hwy. 82 to go north to I-90 and go east.
2. North on I-5 to go east on I-90
3. North on I-5 to go east on Hwy. 2 and then?

We have driven Hwy. 2 in the Summer to Chelan in our Subaru (not towing) and it was ok, but this is different.

Thanks in advance!
LovesToWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2019, 12:51 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Hmm..
If you can..(and have the time) I-5 to US-12 (stay a nite in the Packwood area) then I-82 to I-90 to George,WA., north to Quincy then west a few miles to Crescent Bar (Grant County/PUD Rec park(REALLY beats the hell out of the KOA there).
Then back thru Quincy/Ephrata and north thru Sun Lakes & Dry Falls to Grand Coulee Dam for another nite.(Watch the late evening light show & Dam presentation) then make your way on to Idaho..

(RV Park Reviews are your friend)
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:04 PM   #3

Thanks! That is a nice and new perspective, and I appreciate the heads up on the Coulee Dam. If we do not make it on the way there, then maybe on the way back.
Are there any "scary" or challenging spots on the routes you mentioned?
Thx
LovesToWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:14 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Hmm..
If you can..(and have the time) I-5 to US-12 (stay a nite in the Packwood area) then I-82 to I-90 to George,WA., north to Quincy then west a few miles to Crescent Bar (Grant County/PUD Rec park(REALLY beats the hell out of the KOA there).
Then back thru Quincy/Ephrata and north thru Sun Lakes & Dry Falls to Grand Coulee Dam for another nite.(Watch the late evening light show & Dam presentation) then make your way on to Idaho..

(RV Park Reviews are your friend)
This is a good route, some grades and curves on US 12.

WSDOT - White Pass Road and Weather Conditions

Some good movies at the GC Interpretive Center.
Stop at the Dry Fall Interpretive Center. Rest Rooms and some info on the history and area.

From GC take WA 174 to US 2 to I 90,
Watch your speed in the Lincoln County Towns, we need the money.

Top up fuel before entering Canada.

Enjoy
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:25 PM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToWine View Post
Thanks! That is a nice and new perspective, and I appreciate the heads up on the Coulee Dam. If we do not make it on the way there, then maybe on the way back.
Are there any "scary" or challenging spots on the routes you mentioned?
Thx
No, not that I remember, 2 lane road on 12 and up thru the south side of Rainier (nice view points and Packwood is about as close as you can get to Rainier (private & State parks there)
We had no issues with a 40' and toad, just don't try to make time....Same from George to Grand Coulee..(a lot of view points and pull offs).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2115.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	232567   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2069 (2).jpg
Views:	29
Size:	375.8 KB
ID:	232568  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2073.jpg