Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurous2 View Post
Yes they come around with the big vacuum to clean the parking lot at 3 AM but that is the price we pay!!!
Happy travel
Or the snow plows during the winter. One night it started to snow really hard so we headed to a Walmart and parked out along the edge of the parking lot. Snow plows worked all night and in the morning I found they had plowed and pushing the snow this way and that way, putting us inside a mountain of snow but leaving us a way out to follow.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2014, 11:30 PM   #16

I have stayed in many Walmart stores from the East coast to Alaska over half a dozen trips. I really appreciate them and we usually go in and purchase something every time.
I live in Fairbanks and there is an amazing array of campers at Wally World all summer. Right now there are a number of them that are old junky rigs with tarps over the top to stop leaks and they have generators on the ground powering them as needed. There are of course the big DPs there also. It looks as much like a campground right now as a store parking lot. Some of these older rigs are people up here doing summer work and that is their home.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:48 AM   #17

I have done the walmart stops also without any problems. use your brain and there should be no problems. another good stop is Home Depot and Lowes they always have access for semis and usualy a restrant in the front or the parking lot
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
we have stayed at Walmart and Sam's along the I 95 corridor and between there and the Appl. mountains....always go in and ask first..and have never been refused...recently in a town called Littleton, NH at a Walmart ( I was at a campground nearby and went shopping there ) I couldn't help notice that our Canadian campers from about three hours north were what I consider to be taking full advantage...two motor homes, parked reverse from one another with one awning out between the two mh's...grill set up, folding chairs, and other fix'ns...right at the beginning of WM parking lot for all to see and drive around to get to the store...Kinda thought they were taking advantage of our US and Walmart's hospitality...really looked pretty tacky for campers....even if they went over in a corner someplace would be more appropriate...The local campground there has partitioned the town selectman to stop this Walmart camping...and it probably will happen with this kind of example...I actually took a picture.....
kchadw1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:16 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
The Walmart in Watertown New York appear to have people living between them and every other big box stores in the area. I did notice they are not Canadian. My point is people from everywhere some times use Walmart as a stop off on there way to there destination, it's a great place to pick up supplies and rendezvous with fiends heading to the Same campsite.
RSOMEDAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:49 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
We stayed in our first Walmart last week in Hagerstown, MD. Went well. However since it is summer and hot we wanted A/C so we ran generator most of the night. Decided just as cheap to stay at rv park if you will need to run generator. 10 hrs x .75 gph x $4.09 per gal = $30.68. Might as well get rv site with hookups, be able to level and put out slides, etc. If not so hot, then economics different.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:08 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you WalMart.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:31 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Walmart Etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
We stayed in our first Walmart last week in Hagerstown, MD. Went well. However since it is summer and hot we wanted A/C so we ran generator most of the night. Decided just as cheap to stay at rv park if you will need to run generator. 10 hrs x .75 gph x $4.09 per gal = $30.68. Might as well get rv site with hookups, be able to level and put out slides, etc. If not so hot, then economics different.

mricet, you're right on the money! Also, don't forget eventual service costs. I've posted several times here and elsewhere that we use WM from time to time -- and I'm grateful for the opportunity-- but for us the value is in the convenience. I calculate my gen operating cost at $3.50/hr.

Stay safe!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:53 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
one night we were lost pulled in to wallmart .and i went to ask manager
was told no overnight parking. after i walked out of wallmart i saw i cop
car and flaged it down and asked if there was a place safe near buy to
stay i told her the manager said no . and i now see the signs she called.
the store manager and talked to her turns out wallmart had a big homeless.
proublum. so put up the signs . the police woman had a rv . and told us to stay where we were she was on duty till 12pm and would tell them at shift
change that she gave us permission . said have a good night
all was good pays to be nice and ask
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:16 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Yup, Walmart's are great and its difficult to go anywhere and not find a Walmart near the highway. We also go on the Cabela's website and see if there are any stores along our route. They are RV friendly and many of them have a dump. We leave today to head back west from NY and will be including the Cabela's in Hammond, IN and Omaha, NE for overnights.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:37 AM   #25

The Cabellas store in Sidney, Nebraska has a full service RV campground!. This is their corporate headquarters location with a nice restaurant nearby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandG-Fun View Post
Yup, Walmart's are great and its difficult to go anywhere and not find a Walmart near the highway. We also go on the Cabela's website and see if there are any stores along our route. They are RV friendly and many of them have a dump. We leave today to head back west from NY and will be including the Cabela's in Hammond, IN and Omaha, NE for overnights.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:14 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Here in the east most Cracker Barrel stores have room for an RV or two at night, just be sure to check in and verify, and see if they have a spot preference. We've done both Wally's and CBs when necessary, and always dropped a few bucks in the store to show appreciation.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:37 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sooner or later, I'll bet on sooner, Wal-Mart will put an end to the over-nighters. They will get sick of cleaning after those who don't have any sense, or crime instances on the easy prey campers etc..

Those who commented on here that running the generator all night negates most of the "savings" your right on track.

When Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Cracker Barrel, etc. put an end to over-nighters hopefully there will be room for those who have supported the camp grounds and those who did not.

JMHO
Old 07-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
The Walmart Super Center in Stuart, Fl has "no overnight parking" signs. Last time we were there (MH in a campground) no MHs but lots of what looked like people living in their cars. It looked like a shanty town. Kind of scary really. I don't think it is due to a town ordinance because supposedly they tell people that they can park their RV at the old, vacant location down the street. Last I knew it was still empty and not sold or rented.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote