Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Washington 2 or Washington 20?

My husband and I are going from Blaine Washington (far northwest corner) over to Omak Washington. We originally planned on using US Highway 2 through Leavenworth because we were concerned that Washington 20 would be too tough to pull our big 5th wheel over. Then we talked with a couple here in the park and they said they thought that Washington 20 was a good road...so here is my question...IS Washington 20 through the North Cascades a good road for an RV???
thanks for any input you can give us!
Loralie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #2

Both are good choices and the view is great. Many RV's and tour busses use both.

Happy Trails
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #3

have not been over them this year. last year both were ok
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:40 PM   #4

Crossed hwy 2 Marysville from Coulee Dam last month....Moho and toad....nice trip even for an east coast flatlander!
wkdwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Take Hwy 20 thru the park, the scenery is magnificent, road is excellent, easy climb
. Nice camping is at Howard Miller Steelhead County Park, Rockport. Large, open, easy access. The Nat'l Park CGs are rather tight, although the trees are beautiful. Pulloffs available for viewing. Winthrop(E. side of park) is an interesting western town.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:39 AM   #6

Now that WSDOT has finished plowing, I'd strongly recommend SR20. IMO, it's an easier drive with a bigger rig than highway 2. It does go higher than Stevens Pass. Washington Pass is about 5200' altitude, but the climb isn't too steep and the road is wider than Highway 2.

You'll still see snowdrifts about 20' high where the highway guys plowed. The pass was very late re-opening this year.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #7

I think the North Cascades Highway is one of the most beautiful drives in our country. It only has one challenging curve, but you can make it easily.

Enjoy
pvrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:20 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I cross from Bellingham using both often. I like to alternate. Whichever I take going east I take the other going west. Don't ask me why but IMO Washington and Rainy Passes (Hwy 20) seem like an easier pull going east. The downhill from the summit at Stevens Pass (Hwy 2) requires lots of pre-downgrade slowing and down gearing. Hwy 20 is breathtakingly stunning. On weekends the traffic is heavier and can be slow going from Concrete to Newhalem. Hwy 2 from 5 through Monroe is a matter of lane position to flow with traffic.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:58 PM   #9

I would take Hwy 20 over Hwy 2 anytime, good road, and not as many trucks... some neat stores to explore in Concrete, Seattle has resumed the Diablo Dam Skagit Tours, then there is Winthrop a treat in it's self....

Seattle City Light | Skagit Tours Home

Cheers
Ted in Seattle
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOHOO, what a ride!"
HohoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Hi..thought I would let you know what we decided. We ended up taking US 2 for a couple of reasons. 1 - I wanted to see Leavenworth, 2 - we knew that wa 20 would be beautiful, but Lee would be so focused on the drive that he wouldn't get to enjoy it. So we went by US 2 and it was great. We stayed at a very nice county park in Monitor (just past Leavenworth) and then came north to Omak. From here we did a day drive up wa 20 and really enjoyed the sights and Lee was able to stop often to see things and we even had time for hiking. Thanks for all your help!
Loralie is offline   Reply With Quote