Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2021, 02:20 PM   #1

Location: The bain of capitalism is the uneven distribution of blessings
Wells NV to Ely NV to Las Vegas NV via Hwy 93

All,

We will be in Idaho traveling the Great American Flyfishing Flyway (Idaho Hwy 20) mid September. Thinking of dropping down to Las Vegas via Hwy 93 which goes thru Wells to Ely to Las Vegas. There does not seem to be any towns along the way - seems pretty desolate on Google maps.

Has anyone traveled this lonesome hwy? Any thoughts or ideas about traveling this route in a 2007 Class A?

We are new to this form of traveling - been mostly on boats up to now. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dennis
Planet Houston
kewlbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2021, 02:50 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Pretty quiet road, but a nice relaxing drive if you don't mind the elevation changes.

We go that way to get to Phoenix via Twin Falls.

You can take the "short-cut" at Ely onto 6, and then 318 to Hiko, and catch 93 again.

You will be up over 7,000 feet some times.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 02:59 PM   #3

Pioche is a fun stop, there are a couple of small full hookup parks near the historic old town. It’s a ghost town that still exists due to the Lincoln County courthouse still being located there. Caliente is south of that and more active. The Kersaw-Ryan state park is a good place to visit too
GOLDandGREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:11 PM   #4

It's a very easy, pleasant drive for any size RV. Fill up in Wells and/or Ely and you're good to go. We love these kind of quiet highways rather than interstates. There aren't any big climbs. A few ups and downs at 3-6%; not biggies. Have a good trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:43 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDandGREY View Post
Pioche is a fun stop, there are a couple of small full hookup parks near the historic old town. It’s a ghost town that still exists due to the Lincoln County courthouse still being located there. Caliente is south of that and more active. The Kersaw-Ryan state park is a good place to visit too
I agree that Pioche is a nice stop. I spent the night there on the way North 3 years ago. Stayed at the hotel. Nice old style bar and rooms.

This is a picture of my car (1937 SS100 Jaguar kit car) parked in front of the Overland Hotel & Saloon. I was on a drive from Phoenix to Kamloops in March of 2018. 2600 km!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180321_192239.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	335732  
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 07-12-2021, 03:47 PM   #6

Thanks for the Info

Just want to say thanks for the input....sounds like a great drive.

I see that is called the Great Basin Hwy....good name methinks.

Cheers and Thanks,
Dennis
Planet Houston
Old 07-12-2021, 05:33 PM   #7

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
I agree that Pioche is a nice stop. I spent the night there on the way North 3 years ago. Stayed at the hotel. Nice old style bar and rooms.

This is a picture of my car (1937 SS100 Jaguar kit car) parked in front of the Overland Hotel & Saloon. I was on a drive from Phoenix to Kamloops in March of 2018. 2600 km!
Nice photo! The Roll-In RV park is just down the hill from the Overland. I enjoyed touring the local saloons (and hiking the mines) for sure
GOLDandGREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:43 PM   #8

We are headed the opposite direction in a couple of weeks, staying in Ely. We have been that way before. A nice relaxing drive through Great Basin. Not much traffic.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:57 PM   #9

It's my preferred route south, do take the cut off on highway 6 /318 saves about 40 miles and a lot of climbing . There are rest areas , some even have shade .
My fuel range is such that I can fill up , in Jerome , north of Twin Falls , and make Laughlin . But the Sinclair in Alamo has easy access and good pricing , often better than the truck stops at the 93/I-15 Junction.
During the drive you'll find it hard to believe your at altitude , road is at 6/7,000 feet and the basin is lined with peaks, up to 14,000.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:03 PM   #10

Great Basin National Park is a beauty to explore. There's a terrific BLM campground to stay - Sacramento Pass on Hwy 50 not far east of Hwy 93... worth a stop. You won't believe the stars at night!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:28 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood58 View Post
We are headed the opposite direction in a couple of weeks, staying in Ely. We have been that way before. A nice relaxing drive through Great Basin. Not much traffic.
There is a parking lot you can stay at for free in Ely behind the hotel.

Also, the Jailhouse Resturaunt across the street is sort of unique.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:20 AM   #12

Just a quick warning, the small town speed zones on the route , see a lot of enforcement .

I haven't managed a ticket myself , but I have seen several others not so lucky .
Old 07-15-2021, 02:09 PM   #13

OOOOPS CHANGE IN PLANS
well it appears we are not going to Las vegas after all....headed back to the hacienda instead.

Maybe next year - but thanks for all the advice....

Dennis
Planet Houston
Old 07-15-2021, 07:10 PM   #14

93 is closed today near Alamo due to flash flooding and mud.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas