Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2005, 03:07 PM   #1

Hi everyone.
This past summer the wife and I travelled to N. Carolina, through WV and VA and noticed the large number of RVs being towed through the mountainous highways. It got me to thinking about the possibility of that next summer.

Any advice, pro or con on the experience would be appreciated.

Wife and kid maybe friends, maybe pets, maybe not, lost look in face,
rhoevinbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2005, 03:07 PM   #2

Hi everyone.
This past summer the wife and I travelled to N. Carolina, through WV and VA and noticed the large number of RVs being towed through the mountainous highways. It got me to thinking about the possibility of that next summer.

Any advice, pro or con on the experience would be appreciated.

Old 01-03-2006, 02:56 PM   #3

When I lived in Winchester, Va. I towed my 32 foot 5th wheel all over West Virginia and into Kentucky. No problems.
What was your question?
Chet
Old 01-03-2006, 04:08 PM   #4

Was there anything special you had to do to keep your rig under control, especially while coming down some of those steep mountains?

Thanx

Old 01-04-2006, 01:16 PM   #5

Just make sure that when you hit the top; to use the same gear going down that you used coming up. I have an exhaust brake in my system and it works well. I have 117,000 on the truck with OEM brakes still in place.
Chet
Old 01-05-2006, 03:27 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Just make sure that when you hit the top to use the same gear going dowqn that you used comeing up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How can you advocate this??? The grades may be different on both sides of a hill.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:57 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I know there was some big mountain that people warned us about in TN, I think. But we have a truck with an engine brake as well, and it worked very well. We did see some other rigs off the road but we maintained a safe speed with the engine brake.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:04 PM   #8

I live here in south Central WV and for the past 3 years have towed a 33'TT with my 01 Suburban. Any trip I take I have to cross the WV turnpike one direction or the other just to get started. I had no problems and my Suburban had no special equipment other then the obvious brake control and weight distribution system. I have gone to PA,OH,VA,& NC. just watch out for the other guy!

With that said, I traded the TT for a MH last year. Much more relaxing and easier to handle in my opinion.

Herd fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:56 AM   #9

Tom, using the same gear going down as you use going up is advocated in many threads on this forum. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:15 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tom, using the same gear going down as you use going up is advocated in many threads on this forum. Good Miles </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A first sight using the same gear going down as going up seems logical. But what if the down grade is different than the up grade??

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:07 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A first sight using the same gear going down as going up seems logical. But what if the down grade is different than the up grade?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's just telling you what he does. Why don't you just use the gear that you want. Who cares if he uses the same gear. It's a free country. Add an overdrive and use that if you want.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:40 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by charliez:
He's just telling you what he does. Why don't you just use the gear that you want. Who cares if he uses the same gear. It's a free country. Add an overdrive and use that if you want. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You say, "Who cares if he uses the same gear". Well, I care and sure many others do too. I could be the innocent guy to meet him coming down the other side and no where to go if he gets out of control.

Yes, I agree it is a free country but our roadways are not exactly free to use as we see fit ...meaning, "Safety First" while obeying the law.

This forum is to make comments, advice, etc., to others in a positive way ...may we keep iRV2 going that direction?

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:51 PM   #13
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I tow a lot in the mountains, I live in them. I'll usually select a gear conducive with keeping the rig at a safe speed as determined by the grade and/or switch back curves. As we all know, there are various grades and many different conditions.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:43 PM   #14

Awww. Don't be getting all raw about it now. Can't you just make a judgement call while your driving, and realize that maybe you just might need to select a lower gear? How difficult could that be?

What if his rig is lighter, or heavier than yours? You'd still have to choose your own gear regardless of what anyone else uses.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote