Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2016, 05:11 PM   #1

West Yellowstone to Mt Rushmore

Looking for the best route from west yellowstone to mt rushmore.....would going uo to I-90 the best for a 40' mh?
mikevictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2016, 07:18 PM   #2

What is your definition of "best"? ... easiest drive, most scenic, shortest distance, shortest time ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:35 PM   #3

I guess easiest would mean driver tension.....I don't want 'scary manuevers', just easy going sightseeing.
mikevictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:48 PM   #4

I usually exit the South gate, down WY 191 to I 80 at Rock Spring WY, then East. Fairly easy driving for me. Plus it is an approved HDT route.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I usually exit the South gate, down WY 191 to I 80 at Rock Spring WY, then East. Fairly easy driving for me. Plus it is an approved HDT route.

I have to ask...what is an approved HDT route?
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:58 PM   #6

W. Yellowstone to Mt. Rushmore? Take 191 north to I-90 east. Easy, nice scenery.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
I have to ask...what is an approved HDT route?
HDT = heavy duty truck/semi's. Buy a Rand McNally truckers road atlas at any truck stop. This atlas has all roads that meet the requirements to support a 40 ton truck that is 13'5' high, and 60'-70' long highlighted in yellow/orange.

I follow these routes when we are traveling in the MH, this way I am assured I'll not get a nasty surprise at a low underpass, narrow pavement, tight curves, low load limit bridges, etc.
I once saw 2 MH's w/towed's stopped at a one-lane underpass that was clearly marked 8' clearance at both ends of that highway. Not only did they not see the signs, they did not read a Rand McNally truckers road atlas.
SD state police had just arrived to clear the mile-long road block.
the police made the MH drivers unhook their towed car, and then back their MH for over a mile to a place to turn around.
The police had to close that highway until it was cleared. Not good during tourist season in the black hills of SD.
I have no ideal of the penalty they paid, if any.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
HDT = heavy duty truck/semi's. Buy a Rand McNally truckers road atlas at any truck stop. This atlas has all roads that meet the requirements to support a 40 ton truck that is 13'5' high, and 60'-70' long highlighted in yellow/orange.

I follow these routes when we are traveling in the MH, this way I am assured I'll not get a nasty surprise at a low underpass, narrow pavement, tight curves, low load limit bridges, etc.
I once saw 2 MH's w/towed's stopped at a one-lane underpass that was clearly marked 8' clearance at both ends of that highway. Not only did they not see the signs, they did not read a Rand McNally truckers road atlas.
SD state police had just arrived to clear the mile-long road block.
the police made the MH drivers unhook their towed car, and then back their MH for over a mile to a place to turn around.
The police had to close that highway until it was cleared. Not good during tourist season in the black hills of SD.
I have no ideal of the penalty they paid, if any.

Thank you for the answer to my question. That would be a great book to have. I will keep an eye out for one.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:53 PM   #9

Just came down to West Yellowstone via 191. Lots of twisty road. Good pavement. You can cut a few miles off taking it to 84, then Bozeman. Good road as well.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:09 PM   #10

Why not go to the east entrance, enjoy the sights thru Yellowstone one last time, then drive down to Cody. I just did it in the reverse, and it was gorgeous. Lots to do in Cody, and from there you can go to Deadwood, Rushmore, the 1880 steam train, and whatever else floats ur boat. The speed limits in Yellowstone on that route are mostly 45 and 35, so you wont feel pushed by those faster drivers. It's a beautiful drive.
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:51 AM   #11
doc

Appalachian Campers
I'm with Dubya. Out the east entrance then to Cody. Cody to Greybull to Worland to TenSleep (US 16) over the BigHorns to Buffalo then I-90 to Rapid and down to Mt Rushmore. If you have the time you can continue on to Moorcroft on I-90 and the US 16 cross country to Newcastle and into Custer SD. Short distance to Rushmore from Custer.
There is a lot to see in the Custer area and many places to stay
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:45 PM   #12

Interesting tips...thanks everyone. I was thinking of stopping in to Old Faithful on the way from SLC up to I90 before heading west. It will be the first week of Oct. How is the drive in a 35' MH, plus a toad, from the West entrance down to old faithful and back? Not too mountainous? Will the pre-winter weather hold out? Thanks.
subdev is offline   Reply With Quote