Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2020, 08:10 AM   #1

West Yellowstone, Wy

In June we will be travelling from Omaha, Ne to West Yellowstone in our 38ft. Class A towing our Jeep. We need experienced advice on the best route to use taking mountain ranges into consideration. Thanks
Ricardito is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2020, 08:26 AM   #2

As with most answers, it depends...

I just googled the route options - you have three

I've done two - I've come up thru the Tetons and thru Jackson Hole - either is fine, both have steep grades to deal with, both are very doable in the rig you have. I've never gone via the northern route from Bozeman - but I'd think the view would be just as incredible from that route as the other two routes

I don't know if there is a "right way" - I will say, taking I-80 to Rock Springs up to Jackson Hole will be pretty boring until you're about an hour away from JH - we just came back that way a couple years ago - but I'm no fan of I-80

As for the northern route - I think that'd be my preferred choice because I've never gone that route - I've never gone up thru Montana, so that would be of interest to me - not sure of your previous travels

I don't normally worry too much about routes with my rig, as long as it appears I'm staying on verified roads, I try to take into consideration the scenery as a deciding factor.

Good luck !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:49 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I think the easiest for you would be I/80 to US 287 at Rawlins to US 191 through the park to West Yellowstone. You can't avoid mountains but there is nothing scary on that route.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:01 AM   #4

All of the highways up to West Yellowstone are no problem. Avoid Teton Pass
gladecreekwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardito View Post
In June we will be travelling from Omaha, Ne to West Yellowstone in our 38ft.

Class A towing our Jeep.

We need experienced advice on the best route to use taking mountain ranges into consideration.

Thanks
Funny, when I read this it might mean "Let's get into some Mountains on the way to West Yellowstone"

But no matter what it's supposed to mean you are going to be in the Mountains, Period.

Being that you are on Omaha, I'd just head to Cheyenne - then up to Shoshoni and then to Cody - Driving across the Park to West Yellowstone. Also would allow Beartooth as a day drive along with Chief Joseph Highway while in Cody.

This accomplishes a few things - Avoids the mountains till you arrive at YNP - Lets you drive through Wind River Canyon - see Shoshoni and Thermopolis, before getting to resupply in Cody - Wal*Mart there so fill everything up and get into Yellowstone.

I'd personally get off the Interstate in Cheyenne and start enjoying the Foothills. Depending on your time frame there are many options for the drive North.

MAP of easy/simple route - https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=3de01...=2&form=S00027

Hope this is of some help,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:47 AM   #6

Again, avoid Teton Pass west out of Jackson unless you want to lead a long parade of unhappy participants as slow as 30 mph while closely monitoring and managing your coolant temperatures.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:44 AM   #7

You have many good choices - depends if you want to see anything on the way. By the way, W. Yellowstone is in Montana.

Teton Pass is Hwy 33 out of Jackson, WY to Victor, ID. You don't want to get on that. It would be a nice Jeep ride!

1091 miles - I-80 to Rock Springs, WY; north on 191 to Hoback Jct.; 89 south to Alpine, WY then 26 west to Idaho Falls, ID and north on 20 to W. Yellowstone is the alternative of Teton Pass.

1066 miles - Omaha - North on I-29; West on I-90 to Bozeman, MT and south on 191

If you're going to do a lot in the West you may want to get the 'Mountain Driving for Truckers & RVers'. It will give you a heads up on the highways - even interstates.

I hope you'll be staying in Grand Teton Nat'l Park, also. It's a beauty and completely different in looks and things to do from Yellowstone. Hiking is awesome - for all abilities. Rafting the river in the park is fun and you just may see a moose in the water with you. We did!

Here's a good description of all roads coming directly into Yellowstone.

http://www.rvcruzer.com/ystonervroutes.php

Keep in mind that coming in from the east you can get to Cody, WY and drive right through the park. Recommend you stay in Cody (the museum is great) and drive through the park in the morning to avoid vehicle congestion later in the day. You'd see possible animals early morning, also.

You can also get to Bozeman, MT and take 191 south to W. Yellowstone. Lots of ways!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:10 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Funny, when I read this it might mean [I]"Let's get into some Mountains on the way to West Yellowstone"[/I]

But no matter what it's supposed to mean you are going to be in the Mountains, Period.

Being that you are on Omaha, I'd just head to Cheyenne - then up to Shoshoni and then to Cody - Driving across the Park to West Yellowstone. Also would allow Beartooth as a day drive along with Chief Joseph Highway while in Cody.

This accomplishes a few things - Avoids the mountains till you arrive at YNP - Lets you drive through Wind River Canyon - see Shoshoni and Thermopolis, before getting to resupply in Cody - Wal*Mart there so fill everything up and get into Yellowstone.

I'd personally get off the Interstate in Cheyenne and start enjoying the Foothills. Depending on your time frame there are many options for the drive North.

MAP of easy/simple route - https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=3de01...=2&form=S00027

Hope this is of some help,
Busskipper has been EVERYWHERE! His advice is excellent. I've been to Yellowstone possibly 35 times in the last 50 years and have driven every road in and out of Yellowstone. His advice defines the easiest, most direct and least mountainous route to get from Omaha to West Yellowstone.

If we presume that Busskipper's statement highlighted in red is really what you meant you might consider my favorite route into Yellowstone. See this map: https://mapquest.com/directions/from...st-yellowstone

This takes you into Yellowstone via the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway. I have lived in the Rocky Mountain West all my life and there aren't many roads that I haven't traveled! The Chief Joseph Scenic Highway may be the most spectacular drive you will find that you can negotiate with your 38' motorhome and jeep toad.

This picture from the top of Dead Indian Pass gives a little taste of the scenery:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9439.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	395.8 KB
ID:	276172  
Old 03-01-2020, 07:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You have many good choices - depends if you want to see anything on the way. By the way, W. Yellowstone is in Montana.

Teton Pass is Hwy 33 out of Jackson, WY to Victor, ID. You don't want to get on that. It would be a nice Jeep ride!

1091 miles - I-80 to Rock Springs, WY; north on 191 to Hoback Jct.; 89 south to Alpine, WY then 26 west to Idaho Falls, ID and north on 20 to W. Yellowstone is the alternative of Teton Pass.

1066 miles - Omaha - North on I-29; West on I-90 to Bozeman, MT and south on 191

If you're going to do a lot in the West you may want to get the 'Mountain Driving for Truckers & RVers'. It will give you a heads up on the highways - even interstates.

I hope you'll be staying in Grand Teton Nat'l Park, also. It's a beauty and completely different in looks and things to do from Yellowstone. Hiking is awesome - for all abilities. Rafting the river in the park is fun and you just may see a moose in the water with you. We did!

Here's a good description of all roads coming directly into Yellowstone.

http://www.rvcruzer.com/ystonervroutes.php

Keep in mind that coming in from the east you can get to Cody, WY and drive right through the park. Recommend you stay in Cody (the museum is great) and drive through the park in the morning to avoid vehicle congestion later in the day. You'd see possible animals early morning, also.

You can also get to Bozeman, MT and take 191 south to W. Yellowstone. Lots of ways!
We went the opposite direction from West Yellowstone to Omaha last summer. Agree with the Gypsies about route via Cody and East Gate. Once we got by Fishing Bridge construction we saw the most wildlife of our whole GT/YS stay including Group of Big Horn Sheep and two different grizzlies all within yards of the Coach before exiting to the East. Cody fun also. Also echo Tetons. Took the raft float and did see moose and small herd of elk mommas and young ones. Great relaxing float.

3715 Ventana - 2013 CRV
JakenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 04:40 PM   #10

Lived in Wyoming for 15 years--if you are in Omaha, i would take 29 north to Sioux Falls,SD and head west on 90 till you get to Buffalo,Wy then take 14 thru the Big Horns and to Cody--Teddy Roosevelt said Cody to Yellowstone up the North fork of the Shoshone River is the most Scenic 52 miles in AMERICA and i AGREE---then you are YNP Go to fishing bridge turn left and take the loop to OLD FAITHFUL the on to West Yellowstone---- JMO !!!Stop at the Irma In Cody--BEST PRIME RIB you will ever have--All you can eat !!!!!
WyomingTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:26 AM   #11

If your into guns don"t miss the firearms museum in Cody
Old 03-08-2020, 10:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataska View Post
If your into guns don"t miss the firearms museum in Cody
WyomingTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 12:53 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeloduster is right on. There is no more beautiful drive from Cody up the Chief Joseph into Cook and the NE Entrance. Its like going back in time with the Buffalo grazing in the huge grassy valleys and Traffic Manageable to Gardner. . Stop at the pullover at the first summit to read about Chief Joseph. The road East to Red Lodge at the Beartooth Y I avoid. After Red Lodge only Prairie.
Cody museum is a must stop along with the Old West Town in Cody. Plan a day to.
tzensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:58 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I hate this and the Custer thread! Brings back so many nice memories of our trip out there last year and anxiety over can we do it again this year!

Second the praise of Mr. Busskipper! Super helpful to us flatlanders on last year's trip.

Tags
yellowstone