Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
What to do?

Ok, we've sampled the campground water (with a hint of alligator pooh) pumped directly from the Okefenokee Swamp, stayed at the original 'Siamese Twins' estate at Mt. Airy (now call Mayberry Campgound, very nice BTW and still in the Bunker family), survived a severe kidney pounding and Allison Tranny test hop through the 6-7 % grades @15mph. leading into Holly River State Park in Webster County WVa. (super park as well). Visited my first grandson, who promptly distributed his supper upon my favorite (only, actually) tie-dyed t-shirt while teaching him the finer art of MoHo chassis maintenance in Sussex, NJ. Great trip through some of our Countries best! It's time to move westward...with no plans??

Leaving NJ westward on I-80, as the raveines, filled with road tar, applied a fresh layer of calluses to our backsides, a romanticized trip from Chicago westward down Rt-66 came to mind. I've read some pretty critical old past posts here and wondered if this idea is still considered beating a 'long-dead' horse. "Long, mundane and boring" were some of the nicer discriptions and some said the disappearing road is not good for keeping fasteners in a class A's critical components.

Looking for suggestions/comments on this 'sort'a' plan. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2010, 09:15 PM   #2

what do you want ...

If you follow historic rt 66 you will go through places that were important to folks in the 40s, 50s, and early 60s as they made their way west ... lots of romantic recollection of those travels ...

For me, I would rather see the beautiful natural wonders that lie to the west of Chicago ... the Black Hills, Yellowstone Park, Tetons, rolling farmland of Wisconsin and Minnesota, headwaters of the Mississippi River, the shores of Lake Superior, Glacier National Park, Cody Museum in Cody, WY, redwood forests, Hoh rainforest, Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde National Park, CanyonLands National Park, Winchester Bay Oregon, Bryce Canyon, Zion Canyon, ...

There are still segments of the original RT 66 intact ... but they are heavily patched ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
For me, I would rather see the beautiful natural wonders that lie to the west of Chicago ... the Black Hills, Yellowstone Park, Tetons, rolling farmland of Wisconsin and Minnesota, headwaters of the Mississippi River, the shores of Lake Superior, Glacier National Park, Cody Museum in Cody, WY, redwood forests, Hoh rainforest, Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde National Park, CanyonLands National Park, Winchester Bay Oregon, Bryce Canyon, Zion Canyon, ...
Yes, I agree. Can't see the above from 66. I thought of maybe taking Rt 66 into AZ and working our way north through the Rockies. It would probably eat a lot of time trying to find the disappearing parts of the road...and then I've probably seen too many Route 66 episodes as a kid.. Thanks for the response skigramp. Bob

Old 06-12-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I agree, from Chicago you have three basic choices to head west - I-40, I-80, and I-90. I'd opt for I-90. If you are into history and were thinking of US-66 for that reason you'll find very little of it left. There's just as much history from the Black Hills to Bozeman, Montana plus you'll get the scenic drive of your lifetime. Try the Bozeman Trail out of Buffalo, WY if you want real history. Take in the Little Bighorn, stop at all the Lewis and Clark places alonmg the way. See Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier, plus all of the really neat places that aren't that well publicized but you will hear about from the campground owners.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #5

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I would plan a route West that minimizes use of Interstates. I know there are many places where there is no other choice. As far as Rt 66 the longest stretch remaining is in Arizona heading West from Seligman to Topock. This route takes you through many small towns (Oatman with the wild Burros) and 1 large (Kingman).
I agree on the tour of natural sites as noted by skigramp and then drop down to Az. for Rt 66 and Grand Canyon, Sedona, Santa Fe and up into Colorado.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions...just the spark needed to get things moving. We'll spend tomorrow in Loveberry's Funny Farm in Pioneer, Ohio (a whopping 222 miles from Hubbard, Ohio, our personal best mileage) to refine plans somewhat. Looks like it's going to be I-90, hitting POI, as much as possible, along the way to Glacier NP and then meandering south along the Rockies to the Grand Canyon...taking our time as long as the weather holds out or the cold chases us back to Florida.

With my stint in the AF, I've crossed this country many times going overseas albeit at 40k ft., so this ground trip is very exciting for me and Jan and we're anxious to get this adventure into "Warp speed, Scotty"! Now if we can just keep the MoHo for falling into these Ohio I-80 pavement section cracks and keep the cabinets on the walls. GADS! Take a DEEP breath, 'Squeaky', it's more of the same tomorrow. Bob