Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2016, 11:57 AM   #1

What to expect at Escapees in Vermont

Joined Escapees and signed up for the Escapade in Essex Junction Vermont in July. Never done this sort of thing before and I was wondering what should we expect it to be like?

I understand that it is Fairgrounds parking, so that means tight quarters I imagine. Was only able to get W/E site as all the FHU were taken right away. Will have a pump out done mid week, no one could verify that the dump would be open. I thought that's strange??

Also thinking that we will have to walk a ways to get to the main event everyday.

Would appreciate if anyone who has done this before, chime in and give me some info. Thanks all!
krcaccrv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2016, 05:40 PM   #2

Be prepared to have a great time and meet lots of people. There is or will be a thread on the Escappees forum for the Escapade
Usually they don't want people moving rigs once they are parked so that is why they are offering the mobile dumping
So:
There will be a market place to spend your money

During the day there will be seminars on all types of things RV related. I will be giving one called "Hosting Your Dream" which we'll address how to volunteer for Gov't facilities (NPS, USFWS, USFS state parks etc). Many of the vendors present on their product.

In the evening there will be great entertainment with amazing door prizes (ya gotta be there to win)
There will be a craft hall. Usually there are quilters and wood workers but how we will operate that this year is still being figured out ( Yep Ron & I along with Pam Woods as our right hand will handle that area)
We are hoping to have a couple classes of some sort and I hope to teach a small group on traditional rug hooking.

There will be opportunities to sign up and volunteer to help in several areas

Bring lots of snacks and a few preplanned quick things you can carry to a happy hour because you will meet new friends and be invited to sit under somebody's awning

When you arrive have your parking tags ready to go (they will be emailed to you) and please follow the parking crew directions to the letter. They have a huge job (hundreds of rigs a day) and really do know what they are doing
Usually there are golf carts available to haul some people around. I have not been at this venue so I don't know what parking around some of the buildings is like.

Come look us up in the craft area and introduce yourself
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:58 PM   #3

It's a fun time, especially for newbies....good learning seminars. Participate as much as you can in everything offered. Escapees is a wonderful organization for RVers, especially full-timers. They made the full-timing transition very easy for us and we have make many lasting friendships through them - meeting up over and over again through the country when least expected. The key word is 'participate'. Have a great time!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:51 PM   #4

We've been to the Essex Jct venue before - with FMCA - depending where you get parked it can be a bit of a hike to the large hall. It's a fairground, so there is a large horse show ring in the middle. If you end up on the far side away from the exhibition hall that's the farthest point away, but still within walking distance unless you have a mobility issue. There is a VFW hall, IIRC, at the far end. At FMCA rallies they have hosted a breakfast at their building - always worth attending! Plenty of shops/eateries around the area, too. ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:08 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never been to one yet, but have been to FMCA and Good Sam rallies. Would expect them to be pretty much the same but the seminars would be geared differently for full timers.
Looking forward to making it to one!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:12 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for the detailed, great info! It looks like we are in for a good "schooling" along with some good times!

I appreciate the tips about being prepared for get togethers and we'll check on that breakfast.

Now I have to find a place to camp right before the event starts so its not a long drive to get there. We signed up to come in a day early, Sunday, I think , so we will be all set for Monday morning.

Been to Vermont before but not around Burlington. Love that state! We are not full timers, just half-timers with no toad. We'll get parked somewhere when the escapade is done and rent a car.

Thanks again, everyone. This is a great group!
Krc
Old 02-17-2016, 10:43 AM   #7

If you're an Escapee member you receive their very informative magazine. When it gets closer to Escapade time, there are usually articles in it for things to see around the area and the Days End camping column gives lots of ideas on where to stay the night before or days before. Look for it! Have fun!
Old 02-21-2016, 09:51 PM   #8

OP: Also check out the Escapees Forum. An Escapade section just opened up for the Vermont Escapade.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:46 AM   #9

Thanks, Twogypsies, I checked that out last night.
Apparently there seems to be conflicting info on what people say.

For instance, they say "come with a full tank of water"...but yet I signed on and paid for W/E site. maybe they are speaking to those who will dry camp.

I thought I was coming in a day early but apparently not. My reservation says arriving Sunday and leaving Friday. I hope that by going in on Sunday I don't miss anything. I think the seminars start on Monday. can't seem to find exactly what time they end on Friday. When I call up there at Escapees the girl that answers the phone is not very informed.

I am going to try and log in to that forum. Everytime I try, it won't take my password and Id. I can only read right now and not post.

Someone mentioned that there are 900 sites up there. I sure hope electric amps are not a problem!!

And I reserved a few days prior to be at Shelburne Campground so as to be nearby. Will rent the car and do the touring before Escapade starts. That place had sort of mixed reviews so I sure hope that turns out ok.

Anyone been there before? The guy that answered the phone was not very talkative. Didn't even want to send me an email confirmation. Just kept saying..."see you then.." and off he went.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:06 PM   #10

The opening ceremonies are at 3 on Sunday aft and the closing ceremony is on Thursday aft with a party to follow
The seminars will start on Monday AM
If you signed up to arrive on Sat that should be reflected on your registration email and if not then call and ask to speak to Escapade registration
If you have signed up for a water and electric with a black tank pump out then there is no need to come with a full water tank. If you are boondocking then I don't have an answer. I am not sure you will be able to get yo the water/dump station prior to parking.
There is a thread on Escapees listed as " Essex Junction, here we come". That has experienced people participating who will answer questions as well as the Pinners (escapade directors) will chime in.
There is also a FAQ section on the Escapade section of the Escapees website.
Come join the conversation there
Old 02-23-2016, 08:09 PM   #11

And I think that Shelbourne is where we stayed a few years ago. Your right it was nothing special it served our need for a place to drop anchor while we toured the area.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:56 PM   #12

We stayed at Shelburne ONCE...don't plan to go back... lots of "seasonals", if blue tarps count ... didn't have a problem there, just not the environment we were hoping for... ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:04 PM   #13

Thanks so much, Nana25K... you really answered the questions I had. Looks like I'll make it in on Sunday with plenty of time. I am going over the reservation and calling them tomorrow concerning how many nights they billed me for.

When they say "July 24-29" for the escapade then I guess Friday is departure day, unless you pay extra to stay over? Somehow I understood that Saturday was considered departure day. Aren't there any seminars on Friday?

Loggenrock...that's what I was afraid of as far as environment there at Shelburne. I know there are a few other places north and west of Burlington, but I thought Shelburne would be the most convenient place to rent from Enterprise.

I am always amazed at the difference between a campground's website and what it's really like when you get there. Good thing we have rvparkreviews .