Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2016, 05:16 PM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We went up the 5 last July, man was I surprised it was terrible. It was worse then driving the roads in Mexico. (nice to see our tax dollars at work)
Raloma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2016, 09:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raloma View Post
We went up the 5 last July, man was I surprised it was terrible. It was worse then driving the roads in Mexico. (nice to see our tax dollars at work)
They have been tearing up and resurfacing many mile stretches of I5. In some cases there were no warning signs when you were about to fall off the end of the earth. I really don't understand how CalTrans permitted huge expanses to be torn up at once and secondly why the first CHIPS officer who hit one of the drop offs he didn't get a warning sign in place, pronto. The upside is when the resurfacing is completed the ride is very smooth. I am hoping by this fall all the work will be done. Of course, it looks like they never intend to fix the area under overpasses on I5. On 99 the problem is the underpasses are left undone.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:29 PM   #17

F4gary, Not sure how far north in CA you are, but I try to avoid as much of CA as I can and I have found an excellent route from WA to AZ. I-5 S to Shasta then US 89 to US 44 thru Shasta Nat. forest, Susanville, then 395 to Reno, I-80 as others have suggested.

The route on 89 and 44 is very good, little traffic and 55 MPH which is your max in CA anyway.

Take a look, you may find it fits your requirements.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by allynne View Post
F4gary, Not sure how far north in CA you are, but I try to avoid as much of CA as I can and I have found an excellent route from WA to AZ. I-5 S to Shasta then US 89 to US 44 thru Shasta Nat. forest, Susanville, then 395 to Reno, I-80 as others have suggested.

The route on 89 and 44 is very good, little traffic and 55 MPH which is your max in CA anyway.

Take a look, you may find it fits your requirements.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
Just did a trip from Chico to Grants Pass, OR. I5 is pretty nice north of Sacramento.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:05 PM   #19

F4Gary, I am convinced that the Caltrans Engineers got most of their experience designing jumps for Evil Knievel. The thought of traversing from a overpass to the roadway without some sort of jump seems out of the equation for most of them. JH
micpib1354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:58 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
I live here on 99. Both suck but I prefer I5. Going east I like 50. Two lane but easy driving and fuel is plentiful now thanks to debit pay pumps. 395 south from Susanville is a good drive all the way to four corners. Roller coaster from four corners to 15. Love my 8 air bags....Hate Calif roads!
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:08 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
No matter which hwy, I-5 or 99 you take, there will be times you are convinced that the other one MUST BE BETTER THAN THIS!

But it is just sections, and about the time you have just had it with the road, it gets better.
For a while.
You got that right!!
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote