Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2022, 04:11 PM   #15

Getting across the missippi, your guess is as good as mine. 40 thru ok and eastern nm is tolerable. Once you get past Albuquerque it starts getting interesting.

Consider Santa Fe - taos - almosa - Saguache. You'll see pretty mountains without having to drive actually in them. Take 114 to gunny. Road is very narrow in spots but it's the easiest pass with the best weather I've seen in Colorado and heartbreakingly beautiful. Then Montrose - delta - grand junction. All through the valley. We LOVE Montrose. We used to keep our rig at cedar Creek which is nice.

From grand junction make your way to vernal, couple of ways to get there, via dinosaur is most interesting imo. Little risk of tornadoes but watch out for the chupacabras.

From vernal go 191 to rock springs. There are some twisties for a short stretch, it's not technical just relax and enjoy the view. Opens up into the green river valley which is breathtaking.

That takes you into rock springs and from there you can follow the tourists into Jackson and Yellowstone if you want.

Me, if I'm anywhere within a three days drive I head to picabo ID. But that's just me (and Hemingway, back in the day). By then the moose calf should be a gangly legged adolescent, copping attitude and all. The trico fall should be the same as it ever was.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2022, 04:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallguyone View Post
We are planning a trip from Tallahassee June 10-11 2022, and headed to Salt Lake and then Tetons. Best trip, roads to take, great appreciated. Great or good overnight spots along way would be a great help. Wife thinks driving 40 Foot RV is like driving her Hyundai, but I keep telling her its not! Advise me, please! Thanks

We've done that a few times from DFW. I would say once you work your way up to I-40, take it to Clines Corner in NM (after Santa Rosa) and take 285 up to Santa Fe (you can also go 84 up towards Las Vegas and loop around to Santa Fe), then 84 to Chama NM or up through Taos and then to Chama.

Then Pagosa Springs, Durango, Cortez, Monticello, Moab, 191 to Green River and then up 191/6 to the Provo UT area.

Nice RV parks in Amarillo, Santa Fe, Chama, Durango, Cortez, and Green River. Moab has a bunch too.

Never been from SLC to the Tetons so can't help there.

Oh, and GO NOLES!
Old 01-01-2022, 06:50 PM   #17

Yea, you'll have to decide how much time you want to take getting there. All of the mentioned backroads are pretty but if your goal is to get there and spend the maximum time you can exploring the Tetons and Yellowstone, stick to the main roads. If you've got lots of time, go for it. No doubt the western slopes in Colorado are beautiful and the trip to Dinosaur Nat Mon is pretty but you won't make good time. Did those in an Audi TT convertible and loved it. Moab and Arches are also worth the visit although temps during the daytime could already be getting into the 100's. Mesa Verde is great. You could easily take a month for this trip and not scratch the surface of beautiful places to see in CO, UT and WY.
Old 01-01-2022, 07:14 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
I lived in Wyoming for 5 years. I've been to Rock Springs many times before and after I moved to Jackson.

The ONLY reason to go to Rock Springs - unless you have close family there - is to turn North and go toward Jackson and Yellowstone. Or to turn South to head into Northern Utah.

Other than those reasons you need to totally rethink your plan to spend a month in Rock Springs.
Old 01-02-2022, 04:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
We've done that a few times from DFW. I would say once you work your way up to I-40, take it to Clines Corner in NM (after Santa Rosa) and take 285 up to Santa Fe (you can also go 84 up towards Las Vegas and loop around to Santa Fe), then 84 to Chama NM or up through Taos and then to Chama.

Then Pagosa Springs, Durango, Cortez, Monticello, Moab, 191 to Green River and then up 191/6 to the Provo UT area.

Nice RV parks in Amarillo, Santa Fe, Chama, Durango, Cortez, and Green River. Moab has a bunch too.

Never been from SLC to the Tetons so can't help there.

Oh, and GO NOLES!
Yeah that's a nice ride too. Durango is a great town.

From SLC, I'd take the freeway to Idaho falls. From there it's an easy drive via 20 to west Yellowstone just saying. If you must do Jackson 33 is pretty. Dunno how much wifey is gonna enjoy going over the pass.

TBH Jackson is kinda cool. As another poster suggested, The Virginian is nice enough, but expensive. Easy bike ride through town. The ride from there to Yellowstone should be experienced at least once, no doubt.

That's what we did last summer. Took us out of our way and bypassed some epic fishing but wifey had never been that way before and it knocked her socks off.

Hot tip: get outa Jackson at ih-dark-,thirty, catch the first pink rays of dawn on the tetons, and still get to old faithful early enough to find parking for your rig.

Bring bikes. It's the only way to see Jackson and there are some amazing bike paths in and around old faithful

-------

What does the Gator say? "Chomp-chomp"
What does the Seminole say? "Would you like french fries with that, sir?"
Old 01-02-2022, 11:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetseal40 View Post
.....… never finished this great trip…its still left unseen from Cody, Yellowstone, Tetons Redlodge, Polsen and glacier……. My point is…. I read a lot on here how folks stay one, or two days and then move their rig and tow……and on to the next place…. Fortunately i have more time and can stay longer plus it does get tiring setting up and breaking down every day….(now the question) this year wee wanted to conquer Wyoming and possible adjourning states since they are there… where are good base camps? To plop the rig jump in truck and explore? The surrounding places not to miss? To drive 2 hours to visit a great place in my truck is fine and rather do that than haul butt with giant rig and tow…..is anyone out there have found spots that are sort of centerized in leaving your rig and do day trips to hit all the good stuff in Wyoming…. (We already have good base camp in Rock Springs… what can be seen from this point? And any suggestions as to go North? To Jackson and do all of wyoming OR after Rock Springs go South and do the state of Utah? First finding good base camp with big rig and using car to visit all sights…. Tall order ,,, I know…. And yes to all, rather stay on flat interstates…with rig and tow…not into steep grades.. up ok… its down I dont like… thanks all steve
Wish I could help as I love planning trips. However, your way is definitely not our way. Why would you base camp in Rock Springs? You will waste so much time and energy trying to drive hundreds of miles to see something. We could break camp in 15 minutes. It's not a big deal. At times, during our 16 years of full-timing, we even moved 50 miles or so to get closer to things we wanted to explore. If you don't want to get off interstates with your RV you are missing out on a LOT!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 11:42 AM   #21
doc

Appalachian Campers
If I could avoid Birmingham and Memphis I would. I likely run I-80, even with all the truck traffic because it is the most direct. We spent all day fighting a south wind across Oklahoma a few years back and I ws exhausted when we got to Ft Smith.
You are going to have fun no matter which route you take. Lot of power and good riding coach, just enjoy this great country
Weather? That is a toss up. Manager of the RV park in Amarillo (same trip) told us if weather warnings go out for us to go to the bath house. Must have been 150 people in the park that night. I might invest in a weather radio if I was doing this trip again.
Have fun!
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 12:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
If I could avoid Birmingham and Memphis I would. I likely run I-80, even with all the truck traffic because it is the most direct. We spent all day fighting a south wind across Oklahoma a few years back and I ws exhausted when we got to Ft Smith.
You are going to have fun no matter which route you take. Lot of power and good riding coach, just enjoy this great country
Weather? That is a toss up. Manager of the RV park in Amarillo (same trip) told us if weather warnings go out for us to go to the bath house. Must have been 150 people in the park that night. I might invest in a weather radio if I was doing this trip again.
Have fun!
They have 3 storm shelters, not 1.

Tags
florida, route