RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2017, 06:10 PM   #1

Whistler to Lilooet via 99

Spent last summer in BC, and just before we headed south, we took a peek at '
Horseshoe bay north to Squamish (in the toad). Wife wants to go back this year, Whistler to Lilooet via 99. Is 99 ok for a 40' DP? Tunnels? We're about 13' height. I saw there is a long 15% grade into Lilooet from Whistler. We have a 2-speed jake brake on our 525 hp CAT to help slow us down. Weight limits ( I think we are somewhere shy of 53,000#, but I can't recall exactly. We sure saw some beautiful country and are anxious to head back up there again.
Thanks!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2017, 06:49 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
That's a great road (for motorcycles ), but you will have no problem. Are you going from Whistler to Lillooet? If so there is a pretty good climb out of Mt. Currie (sp?) but the rest is good. Long descent down into Lillooet, but nothing dramatic. Lots of trucks travel the road, so you won't have a problem.
Nice side trip from Lillooet is up to Gold Bridge via Carpenter Lake. Free camping at Carpenter lake (dry) at the Gun Creek Campground. If you have a toad, it's an interesting drive down the hill to Seton Lake, but I wouldn't take the MH down there (steep and switch-backs on gravel).
The road from Lillooet to Lytton can be closed due to rock slides, so ask in Lillooet before you head down there.
Have fun, enjoy Beautiful BC!!
ps. once you get to Cache Creek, you aren't far from the Center of the Universe up by Vidette Lake! http://www.tourismkamloops.com/centr...itish-columbia
Happy Glamping.Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:52 PM   #3

Thanks for the tips!
Old 03-04-2017, 01:10 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hwy-99 from Squamish and Whistler through to Lillooet is one of my favorite motorcycle roads but it's also great scenery for travelling by car or motorhome. There are a couple of 13% grades but they are not very long or difficult. There are no bridge or tunnel issues though some of the bridges are one-lane and there is a low railroad overpass, but it's over the 13'6" required for the semis that travel that route. We took our 43ft DP, with a toad, through their the year before last and even spent a night boondocking along the way.

Do take note however that some care is required in choosing your route to the east of Lillooet. Hwy-99 goes north-eats from Lillooet to join Hwy-97 north of Cache Creek. That road is fine for your motorhome. Hwy-12 goes south from Lillooet to connect with Hwy-1 at Lytton. A portion of this road is tight and twisted one-lane which I would not take my motorhome over, especially if you have a toad. You cannot see oncoming traffic in areas and one of you will likely have to backup.

Enjoy the scenery and have a great time visiting BC.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:30 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
ps. once you get to Cache Creek, you aren't far from the Center of the Universe up by Vidette Lake! Centre of the Universe in Kamloops, British Columbia
That is kinda cool! Certainly will be on my list the next time I head out to Kamloops.

I just recently discovered the history of the Tranquille sanitarium just west of Kamploops. I plan to visit to see the new Urban Farming getting started there....

Brian
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 02:40 PM   #6

Thanks to all for the advice-I did a search the other day on IRV2 and found enough 'no's' so that I changed my plan. But after rereading your advice, I think we'll go for it. BTW, we were in Kamloops last summer, stopped at a restaurant downtown that had its own brewpub (can't recall the name). There was a new McClaren sitting outside. Someone has some bucks in that town!
Old 03-06-2017, 07:02 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Thanks to all for the advice-I did a search the other day on IRV2 and found enough 'no's' so that I changed my plan. But after rereading your advice, I think we'll go for it. BTW, we were in Kamloops last summer, stopped at a restaurant downtown that had its own brewpub (can't recall the name). There was a new McClaren sitting outside. Someone has some bucks in that town!
It is both surprising and unfortunate how many people automatically say "no", don't do it" when something a little out of the norm is suggested.

My DW and I attended a "RV to Alaska" seminar at an RV rally a few years ago. The speaker erroneously stated there was only one way to drive to Alaska. During the Q&A I asked about a number of the alternate routes, including driving Hwy-99 from Whistler to Lillooet. He stated that that road was not suitable for large RVs. I knew he was wrong after riding it so many times on my motorcycle and having seen many large 45 ft tour busses, semi-trailers and large motorhomes on it. So, after the talk was complete I asked him in private if he had ever driven it in his motorhome or even in a car. He had not, but had heard it was not RV friendly from others so he says not to go that way both in his seminars as well as in his book on Alaska travel. I have since communicated with him and he now says he'll change that in the future but he's still not driven it himself even though he has made subsequent trips to Alaska.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:41 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Rule of thumb for me is,if Semi's do it I will. Big truck 80,000lbs and in Canada bigger I'm with a 40-45 towing 45000lbs. But will anticipate both up and down, if it's short really not much but if long start down slow and EZ and if up geared to best cooling RPM. WORKS FOR ME.

LEN
Old 03-06-2017, 09:55 AM   #9

Whistler to Lilooet via 99

Has anyone in a 43 DP towing driven Hwy -99 from whistler to cache creek

SOLD 2013 Newmar Ventana 4346
msy4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by msy4us View Post
As stated in my postings above, yes, I have driven it in our 43ft Mountain Aire and it is not a problem. There are a few steep grades but non that should be disconcerting, especially with a rig equipped with a jake brake. I managed all the grade without difficulty using only the jake's first stage. This road is also used by semis and 45 ft tour busses.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Hi Cruzbill - Came across this thread and in hopes you may find this, I'm wondering how the trip from Kamloops to Whistler on 99 worked out for you? We are planning Kamloops to Vancover via 99 for the scenic drive. Not too concerned about the grades or the twists, just any advice you may have if you did the drive. Thanks! McGarrett
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:52 AM   #12
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by msy4us View Post
Yes that road is great road, hardly any hills. I would also recommend the Okanagan Valley, Vernon to Osoyoos Great scenery and lakes. Went down from Lilloette to Whistler, towing a car, couple of years ago, made is most of the way down just using transmission, just to see if I could. No problem.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip