Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2018, 08:23 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tell HER there is something wrong with the ignition switch till its warmer.

Mike
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2018, 08:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevechris View Post
We will be leaving southern California the end of march for a 4 month trip. The route is leaving Los Angeles heading toward New Mexico up to North Dakota east to Michigan then south to Tennessee and finally home. I want to do the southern portion first because of possible snow and or bad weather in the northern parts The DW wants to head north which would put us in Nebraska late part of April and North Dakota late April early May We can route our schedule either way. Whose right
Well - of course she's Right - but while she may be Correct she will Likely NOT BE HAPPY

So you have two options - Right and Not Happy
or Wrong and Happy, the only way to get a different result is to be REAL LUCKY.

Just be sure to bring Her Snow Shovel and Her Sled, so she will have something to do on those bad days.

We flew out to spend Memorial Day with the Granddaughter in Colorado - the Mission was to do Trail ridge to see the Snow Wall - Didn't happen the 17' drifts, yes 17' kept the road closed an extra couple weeks.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...vACfsYd78DoUM:

Winter is real - and the mountains prove it every Year.

JMHO,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:39 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
No one has mentioned the heat in the south, so south first then up north.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:19 AM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
No one has mentioned the heat in the south, so south first then up north.
I was thinking the same thing reading this. Early Spring can have very erratic weather changes the farther north you go. July - August temps in TN can and often get in mid 90s with +50% humidity.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:58 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Check when the CGs in the northern part of your route are open.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
Do YOU want to be happy? or do you REALLY want to be happy? : )
MisterT has hit the spot. When you go North, it will be a bit colder. Think about it. How warm to you want to be at night?
Old 01-20-2018, 10:05 AM   #21

Well Sir, you are in a tough position. If it were me, I would also lobby for the southern (counterclockwise) route towards TN, then MI, ND, finally NM. Driving conditions on the southern route will be better in March/April. This will make for much more pleasant sightseeing and hiking weather. Make your northward leg as the weather warms.

Depending on the weather conditions (but be very careful) at the time you could compromise by going eastbound on I10 (rather than I8) and take in Grand Canyon, and Southern NM as you travel towards TN. MI and ND will certainly be much more weather friendly to a SoCal person in May/June than in March/April. Yes, as you start West and South, you will have some hotter, but bearable days in June/July.

Overall, the weather outside of your coach would be more pleasant (and probably safer) choosing your route over your DW's route. No guarantees on the weather inside of your coach during the trip .

Sounds like a great adventure. Enjoy...and travel safely!
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:12 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Ugh, This is why men die first -- because we want to. I know what I'd do, and it's not what every ounce of my being knows is right. So go ahead, drive it off that cliff. A real man will have the power to resist saying "I told you so." Not me, but a real man would...
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:26 AM   #23

New Mexico ain't the California ocean front. You can get snow in April at 6,000+ feet without much warning. By the way, I don't want to tell you how to run your marriage, but unless you plan on sleeping in your towed or storage compartments, you may want to give serious consideration to your wife's suggested trip plan.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:04 AM   #24

Lots of Michigan campgrounds open on May 1st, or May 15th. We learned this the hard way our first year.
partskenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:17 AM   #25

A cold rv trip will be better than none at all. When she admits her mistake about going north first be shore not to say [I told you so hun]
Old 01-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #26

Having lived in the north for most of my life. Yellowstone, Idaho, North Dakota, Utah, Cleveland OH. Ive regularly seen snow in late April around the 22nd and several feet. With the exception of Yellowstone where it has been June. I buried my dad in ND. He passed in the winter and they held all burials until the ground thawed. Not sure when they started scheduling them but the soonest I could get was June.

Now I live in the south. The summer is hot, the best time of year is March-April for comfort.

I look at traveling this way. Go where you are less likely to die if the heater or AC quits. lol Which would be going south first.

I am the wife... If someone can present a reasonable reason not to do something I listen.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:41 AM   #27

Nor'easters Club
If a man is in the desert, all alone, and no one there to hear him, when he speaks, is he still wrong?
Steve & Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:45 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
Having lived in the north for most of my life. Yellowstone, Idaho, North Dakota, Utah, Cleveland OH. Ive regularly seen snow in late April around the 22nd and several feet. With the exception of Yellowstone where it has been June. I buried my dad in ND. He passed in the winter and they held all burials until the ground thawed. Not sure when they started scheduling them but the soonest I could get was June.

Now I live in the south. The summer is hot, the best time of year is March-April for comfort.

I look at traveling this way. Go where you are less likely to die if the heater or AC quits. lol Which would be going south first.

I am the wife... If someone can present a reasonable reason not to do something I listen.

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote