Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2023, 10:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Holden View Post
Appreciate the info, all good stuff. For fueling, is it frowned upon to use the truck lanes for diesel?
Sorry, missed you had a diesel. My Ram 2500 has the gasoline Hemi. Plenty of power to pull up any grade, and pass anything on the interstate, except a gas station. I could run it at 5,000 rpm all day, which was about 40-50 miles per tank at that RPM.

Some RV folks have reported some complaints about using the diesel lanes at some truck stops.

I sincerely wish that I had bought a diesel, just so that I could use the truck lanes some places.

Complaints would not bother me, but I can understand how some professional truckers might be unhappy about my keeping them from getting back on the road as fast as they hoped. I would try to use locations that were not busy, if possible.

Truck stops expect to sell 50 or more gallons with each diesel pump customer. I haven't used it, but the TSD card seems very popular with many RV folks for diesel.
OldBaldFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2023, 10:40 AM   #16

2 Things
I live in mesa get gas in Payson its 4.99 a gallon in the valley. Also tempetures are going to be 100 around here starting this weekend. Try not to travel the heat of the day there are some big montains you have to over between Payson and mesa
Zonnie62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 11:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Holden View Post
Right on the IL border near Lake Geneva
Jump over to I-39 and head south!
Old 04-26-2023, 12:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonnie62 View Post
2 Things
I live in mesa get gas in Payson its 4.99 a gallon in the valley. Also tempetures are going to be 100 around here starting this weekend. Try not to travel the heat of the day there are some big montains you have to over between Payson and mesa
Thanks for the heads up. If all goes to plan I will be arriving Sunday early afternoon, will install the WDH and go to bed. Hoping to wake up early Monday morning and hit the road back to WI. No real plans to stop anywhere and will sleep at rest areas when needed.
James Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 03:52 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish View Post
If you are on the far eastern side of WI, sounds good. If mid state or western side, I would drop down on I 35. On your return, watch your height. I recall seeing a low overhead bridge (11'5") on I-35 just south of Rockford (RV Trip Wizard). I don't know if this is old news and has not been updated, but be aware. Others may have more current information.
Rockford does have several low bridges (11'8" to 11'9") but not on the Interstate highways. Federal rules required 14' minimum vertical clearances when construction of the Interstates began. Soon after, the Defense Department requested more clearance and the rules were changed to require 16' vertical clearance on new construction.
Old 04-29-2023, 07:34 PM   #20

As far as the usage of the Truck Lanes, Go for it. I've never had any issues with the OTR drivers.

3 items though:
First, You can't use a regular credit card to start the pump. You will have to go to the fuel desk, and pay in advance. Note your pump number.
Second, the nozzles are HIGH flow. Be careful when you squeeze the handle.
Third, when finished fueling, pull up to the line (about 80' beyond the pumps) so the rig behind you can start fueling while you go inside to settle up with the cashier.
BTW, DEF is available in the truck lanes, and most truck stops have scales so you can weigh your trailer.

Tim
Old 04-29-2023, 11:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBaldFat View Post

Some RV folks have reported some complaints about using the diesel lanes at some truck stops.
We did it for 16 years with no issues. Truckers quite often would come over while fueling just to chat about various things... full-time RVing, our RV, what's ahead, etc.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote