Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2018, 03:50 PM   #1

WI to AZ Route

In January we will be making our 3rd trip from Northeast Wisconsin down to Phoenix Arizona to spend the winter in the desert. The past two years we have taken different routes both times heading straight south to get to warm weather quicker. Last year it was still in the teens in Texas as we traveled through. Taking this route adds several miles and hours to our trip. So I’m thinking maybe this year taking a more direct route cutting across country at an angle that will keep us a bit north but cut miles and time off. We pull a 40’ fifth wheel. So my question is for those of you that head to the southwest for the winter, what route do you take? Any learnings or watchouts?
jr2194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2018, 04:14 PM   #2

Been from Kansas City to Phx in winter. I'd watch the weather and head to I-20 to I-10 and come into Phoenix from Tucson. Even Tucson is higher elevation than Phoenix, but not near as high as Flagstaff. Oklahoma City to Amarillo can get nasty at that time of year.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:06 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm living the good life in Phoenix after living the first 65 years on my life in west central WI. After my parents retired they lived in Casa Grande so I made yearly winter trips out here quite a few times. At that time we were just traveling by car so it's a bit different than RVing it but a person still needs to be careful. So my plan was always prepare for the trip without worrying about the route. A day before I was ready to leave I spent a few hours checking out weather maps and 5 day forecasts. Though not always 100 percent they gave me a good idea. I had 3 trip routes. My least favorite was to Des Moines then west to Denver area, south to Albuquerque then either South to I 10 or I 40 to Flagstaff. The other way was I 35 to Oklahoma City then West. My favorite was down to Kansas City then diagonal through Kansas to Tucumcari. It's the shortest and quickest however the worst when its blowing snow and ice. Now I do the reverse. Live in Phoenix, RV to WI for the summer and then head back to AZ the end of Sept. When I bought my RV, a Class C, I made a pact with it. Treat me well and I will never put it in a position where I needed to winterize it. So far we are both happy. Leaving in Jan will really cut into your options to finding places to park for the night so plan for that.
dennys67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:27 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Download a free weather app on your mobile phone. I use AcuuWeather which allows me to see out 10 days for planning purposes. Driving from Central IL I like the OK route for distance but OK, TX panhandle and NM can get dicy during the winter. Last time I dropped down through MS to I12/10 and drove straight West. Road was a little bumpy and cool but realitively uneventful - long, but no need to hurry now as retired, yet I'm always in a hurry. LOL
Old 11-26-2018, 07:37 PM   #5

Wi to Phoenix area

We go to Des Moines, to KC, to Wichata, then take 54 to Tucumcary, NM, to Holbrook, AZ to Payson, down to Apache Junction. 54 is two lane most of the way, but we can make very good time on it (65 to 70). We have tried several routes, this is the best for us. We stay at a Walmart in Kansas, then dewinterize at Tucumcary.
smsawle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2194 View Post
In January we will be making our 3rd trip from Northeast Wisconsin down to Phoenix Arizona to spend the winter in the desert. The past two years we have taken different routes both times heading straight south to get to warm weather quicker. Last year it was still in the teens in Texas as we traveled through. Taking this route adds several miles and hours to our trip. So I’m thinking maybe this year taking a more direct route cutting across country at an angle that will keep us a bit north but cut miles and time off. We pull a 40’ fifth wheel. So my question is for those of you that head to the southwest for the winter, what route do you take? Any learnings or watchouts?
Look over these options - https://binged.it/2KDBWjt

I'd go through Colorado and Utah - as it second nature to me, just watch the weather and avoid weekends for ski traffic out of Denver - then Catch RT 128 to Moab and RT 191 south catching Monument Valley before the run to Phoenix. If you get lucky you might just catch a fresh coat of White on some of the red Rocks in Utah.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote