Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2018, 06:09 PM   #1

Winter Trip

im starting to plan a trip from pa. to myrtle beach s. c. 1st of the year looking for best route I was there a few years ago and made the mistake of belt way also recommendation as to an overnite pull off about 2 or 3 hours shy of s. c.
04 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2018, 08:07 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
When I drive to NC I avoid I-95. Too much heavy traffic. From Ithaca NY I take I-81S to I-77 in Virginia down into NC. This will not be the shortest route but it avoids some of the traffic congestion. All that said I-81 is seeing heavier traffic than it used to. From I-77 you could work your way from Winston-Salem or Charlotte areas to MB. This would be longer but I-95 is not a pleasant drive to me.

Safe Travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:47 PM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
I-95 is not a good idea. Get over to 81 and come south that direction. Good roads but no major cities. Longer distances but no DC traffic. South of Richmond on 95 might work if you drive at night
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:18 PM   #4

Thank you
Old 10-29-2018, 08:43 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I-81 to I-64 to Richmond. Then south on I-95. Are you looking for a CG or just a place to get some rest for the night?
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:55 PM   #6

You might also consider US-15 from I-64 south to around Durham, NC. I have been over that road multiple times because we have family that live off 15 in VA. Most of it has been super slabbed around the significant towns. The rest is good rural road. The result is a bit slower but significantly shorter bypass of I-81 and it's continuous line of trucks.

For grins I used Googlemaps to route via I-81 between Harrisburg, PA and Myrtle Beach. I-81 to I-77 then east to Myrtle beach was 10:32, 652 miles.
I-81 to I-64 to US-15 10:23 621 miles.
I-81 to I-66 to US-17 to US-15 10:26 596 miles.
US-15 to I-40 to I-95 10:05 556 miles

I tossed the last one in on a whim. The traffic around the DC metro is a bit nasty, otherwise it's a pleasant drive as far as Raleigh. I have not been south of there on that route. Much of the northern end is superslabbed as needed. Time is about the same but the miles are significantly different. The drive itself is much more pleasant unless you like continuous lines of trucks. My real point is that there are good options other than I-81 and I-95.

As I recall there is camping around the NC/VA line. There are other options as you close in on the I-95 corridor. Please let us know what you did and how it went.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:34 PM   #7

Myrtle

This is late coming
Thanks to the I’m and posts on getting to Myrtle
Things went well
Campground is perfect
Gettin around towns well now but soon be time to leave
Old 02-15-2019, 02:59 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club