RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2020, 08:55 AM   #1

Wisconsin to Florida

We were planning on leaving yesterday going through Atlanta on Sunday. We had some issues that caused us not to be able to leave until Tuesday. This will bring us through Atlanta on Wednesday or Thursday. With the current restrictions has traffic been any better? Last year we returned through Dothan to avoid and it seemed too much longer and too rural for us to get help if something happened.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2020, 08:48 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We took 285 around Atlanta in the north side last Wednesday (hard to believe we are home in Ca) around mid morning. A lot of traffic but not white knuckle driving. We were towing a car in a trailer which added a bit to the effort.

If you mean covid restrictions, I saw no evidence of lighter traffic or fewer people out in my 10 day junket from Northern Ca to Richmond Va and back. Looks like business as usual to me.

I took 40 out and 20 most of the way back to avoid weather. The section of 40 between the 40/81 split and Asherville is scenic but such a winding hilly road that I quickly decided I didn’t want to go back that way, especially in rain/snow. That was also why I avoided 81. It was a more direct route but had snow at the higher elevations so I took 85 up to Richmond. Still had some flurries but nothing serious. But you’ll probably head south out of Nashville so you’ll miss that fun.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:54 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
Traffic on I-75 north of Atlanta has gotten worse in the past 3-4 years. From Dalton on south it gets really bad in places. I don't have a solution for you, other than if you do use 75, come straight through around noon (10 - 1400 hrs) . Fridays are not good any time. Same if it is raining. Safe travel to you
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:46 PM   #4
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Not knowing where you are starting from it is hard to say.

I am north of Madison. So I take I39 south to Normal, IL.

Then I74 to I57 south

I57 to I24 east

I24 to I65 south

I always use I65 to 231 in Montgomery, AL

In the past I used I65 to I24 east. What a hassel.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:02 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another all 4 lane route around ATL we have used for years is GA 53 off I75 at Calhoun. Pick up US 27 south at Rome GA to LaGrange (left on GA 109 to I-85 then north about 1/2 miles to I-185); then enter Interstate 185 south to Columbus at Ft Benning enter onto GA 520 and take it to Tifton. 55-65 mph all the way. Pass through a few towns, great scenery, and zero traffic. Great RV route
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrascal View Post
Another all 4 lane route around ATL we have used for years is GA 53 off I75 at Calhoun. Pick up US 27 south at Rome GA to LaGrange (left on GA 109 to I-85 then north about 1/2 miles to I-185); then enter Interstate 185 south to Columbus at Ft Benning enter onto GA 520 and take it to Tifton. 55-65 mph all the way. Pass through a few towns, great scenery, and zero traffic. Great RV route
Thanks, we are currently south of Atlanta I am definitely going to look at this for route home. How much longer is it?
Thank you!
Old 12-10-2020, 07:15 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgertr View Post
Thanks, we are currently south of Atlanta I am definitely going to look at this for route home. How much longer is it?
Thank you!
Not that much longer if at all. 40 miles maybe total. With no traffic or problems maybe 4 hrs through Atlanta-- IF there are no traffic issues??

A bit over 5 1/2 hours of driving down the west side maybe depending on traffic? A whole lot more enjoyable and relaxing. Nice towns and stops.

Another variation to shorten the overall travel to FL along this route is to take 133 out of Albany to Valdosta instead of shooting over to Tifton. That shortens overall travel to FL vs I-75 by about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes along the western route

If your goal is to push it hard to get through GA take 75 through ATL. If you want to take a relaxing and enjoyable route on great roads seeing the countryside, sites and towns, use the other through Rome, LaGrange, Columbus and Albany (or reversed if northbound).

I've traveled in and through ATL for close to 50 yrs and avoid it like the plague now. Recently was rear-ended on I-285 mid-day by someone who didn't care about vehicle separation or speed limits. Typical of 285.
Old 12-11-2020, 08:43 AM   #8

Thank you. I forgot to ask about mountains. This is only our 2nd trip to Florida and we do not handle issues well. So the Alabama route with lack of services worried us a bit. We are still working so we don’t have a lot of time to add too much time to the route. This year we are planning to return for Christmas Eve so have a little cushion.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:50 AM   #9

FWIW, we are from Milwaukee and are headed to Florida in 7 weeks and are going the way NPR noted. I know of others that go that route. Will miss Indianapolis and Atlanta.
JK
Old 12-11-2020, 07:02 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgertr View Post
Thank you. I forgot to ask about mountains. This is only our 2nd trip to Florida and we do not handle issues well. So the Alabama route with lack of services worried us a bit. We are still working so we donít have a lot of time to add too much time to the route. This year we are planning to return for Christmas Eve so have a little cushion.
Reverse this going north. Plenty of towns and services along this route every few miles, but good cruising. Larger cities (mostly with 4 lane bypasses but services accessible) about 45 minutes apart are Valdosta, Moultrie, Albany, Dawson, Columbus, LaGrange, Carrolton, Breman, Rome, and Calhoun. All are good-sized burgs with big box stores major fuel opportunities, repair shops, hospitals, restaurants and services near the highway.

No real mountains from Calhoun to Tifton or Valdosta. Rolling gentle hills from Rome south through LaGrange to Columbus but no significant grades at all on well-designed and maintained roads. From Rome to Columbus you are crossing the Georgia Piedmont which is beautiful rolling gentle hills. South of Ft Benning, you cross the fall line and move into the coastal plain. Flat cotton, pecan, peach, and peanut country all the way to Florida. The white stuff on the sides of the road in south Georgia will be cotton that fell off the bales on the way to the gin-- not snow LOL!

If you go this way you may want to PM me for some specific turns to check on your GPS to make this easy. I can point out a few fun stops and sites along the way also.
Old 12-12-2020, 09:46 AM   #11
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Jkjavelin

You also miss Chicago & Gary. Two real pluses for taking I39.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida