Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2021, 10:06 AM   #1

Wisconsin to Florida

We found a route around Atlanta but hit mountains. I have an older dog that has seizures and the return mountains seem worse than the south direction and she got very sick. There was no where to stop on this long stretch of mountain. Is there a route that misses the mountains and Atlanta?
Thank you
Karin
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2021, 10:46 AM   #2

from the western suburbs of chicago to SW florida we always go this way:

- I-57 south to I-24 east
- I-24 to I-65 south at Nashville
- I-65 thru TN and Alabama to I-85 east at Montgomery
- I-85 to exit 9 (US 271/TO US 231) turn right at the top of the ramp
- US271 will dead-end at US231. turn left on US231 South
- Follow US231 (good, 4-lane divided highway) thru Troy, Ozark and Dothan to I-10.
- I-10 east to I-75

all thinhs being equal this is about 45-min to an hour longer than dealing with hot-lanta.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:34 PM   #3

Where did you hit mountains? Would I-65 do it? Otherwise US-45 from Fulton KY southward certainly avoids mountains. Depending on where you're going you could jog over to Montgomery from Columbus.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:31 PM   #4

We travel on 75 through Atlanta frequently. Itís not an issue. Itís a timing thing. During the week stay away from rush hour. Between 10am and 2pm is the sweet spot. Donít use 285. Just stay on 75. Itís always a bit congested right in the downtown area no matter what during the day. You will hit congestion from the airport area south for about 20 miles. Lots of trucks and cars merging and cutting in and out. Just stay in the center lane.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida