Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2021, 07:31 PM   #1

Wolf Creek Pass, Colorado

Any thoughts on traveling from Pagosa Springs Colorado to South Fork Colorado over Wolf Creek Pass? Towing 15k 5th wheel with 1-ton diesel.

Any better alternate routes?

Thanks for your help!
DEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2021, 08:45 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't specifically speak to your setup pulling a 5th wheel, but we traveled that pass a year ago, March, in our gas Class A with toad in the same direction as your planned trip. My recollection is that the ascent was not all that bad and well within the capability of our Ford with V10 and 6-spd. The descent, however, was fairly steep and required judicious speed and brake control. Using a semi ahead of me as a guide, we were in 3rd gear and holding at a speed in the 30's for most of the steepest section until it started to flatten out. That enabled me to stay off the brakes except for when speed started to climb, at which point momentary hard braking brought the speed back down and let the transmission work again at retarding speed. It was very doable in our Class A. You'll just need to manage gearing and speed on the descent.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:56 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Did it in a Trpe C mh w/351 Ford engine towing an older '95 Honda Ody on a dolly. Made it but 25 mph in low or second. Down the west side was a trick to keep the brakes from overheating. Friend of ours in a Type A MH had no brakes and couldn't stop at all.
I ended up having to replace the brakes on the dolly but the surge brakes did their job.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:19 PM   #4

I drive wolf creek at least 20 times a year so probably a bit biased but it is a good road and there are no better alternatives unless you are willing to go way way way out of the way as in hundreds of miles
Sounds like you might be going west to east so you will go up the seemingly steeper side and going down the east side which I would say is easier to get down. You should have no problems
Old 03-24-2021, 09:35 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Have driven it many times and it's a good condition road. As said, it's a steep climb going east but keep your speed under control coming down and you'll be fine.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:30 PM   #6

No better routes. Go for it! It's traveled by many RVers.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:43 AM   #7

Thanks...will be going that way in late May...hope everyone has a great 2021!
DEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:55 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We had MUCH less trouble with Wolf Pass (both ways) then we did with Teton Pass going west !!!

Like most anything - go to youtube and search for wolf creek pass westbound or eastbound to watch a video

The first ascent on Teton surprised me since it was after a SLOW hard left turn (mainly because of cars going 25 mph thru it) and then straight up ! I never recovered and was yelling "I'm Sorry!" out the window to the many, many cars behind me

Thought about pulling off to a pullout, but they were on the downhill side and I didn't think I'd make it across traffic and gain even the 25 mph speed I was going :(

Old 03-25-2021, 08:28 AM   #9

we did it last fall towing a 16,000 lb 5th wheel with a 1 ton diesel pickup. you'll go slow but big deal. downshift and use the diesel exhaust brake going down. we did and i barely even touched the brake pedal. i can't think of any reason why you shouldn't do it. you've got the proper tow vehicle. just pay attention! and enjoy yourself!
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:07 AM   #10

I'd highly recommend you get (check online) the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers'. It comes in both eastern and western editions. Very helpful to give you a 'heads up'.

It states "from the summit you'll see signs of 7% for the next 9 miles. Stay in lower gear. Speed limit is 25 mph and it's four lanes. There are two runaway truck ramps at 4.5 and 6 miles down from the summit. After passing the second ramp the 7% grade continues for another 2 mi. and then gradually changes to rolling hills."

We did this Pass in the opposite direction one rainy, foggy, cold Sunday. The workers weren't on duty but they had the hwy. torn up and the bare sections had a coating of oil on it. Not fun!! We've done it at other times in both directions and no issues.... just take it slow.

While in Pagosa Springs definitely take the time to soak in the awesome immaculate pools of varying temperatures. The Springs overlook the small town and the river and it makes for a very relaxing couple of hours. Bring a cooler with drinks and snacks and enjoy!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado