Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2022, 08:42 AM   #1

Wolf Creek Pass, Colorado

Hello all,

We have a trip planned from Colorado Springs to Durango in July. I have a Ram 2500 gasser pulling a 32ft (9,000lb) Keystone Hideout. Typically, going up steeper hills, I get around 3-4mpg. Flat roads ~10mpg. Should I be concerned with the uphill portion of Wolf Creek on gas mileage? South Fork to top of Wolf Creek is 18 miles. At 3-mpg, I'm looking at 54 gallons to get to the top. My truck has a 31 gallon gas tank.

Are there any gas stations along the route?

Thanks!
garbear2483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2022, 08:49 AM   #2

Better check your math. At 3 mpg going 18 miles uses 6 gallons. You seem to have calculated it as gallons per mile instead of miles per gallon. If you're using 3 gallons per mile something is seriously wrong with your vehicle.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbear2483 View Post
Hello all,

We have a trip planned from Colorado Springs to Durango in July. I have a Ram 2500 gasser pulling a 32ft (9,000lb) Keystone Hideout. Typically, going up steeper hills, I get around 3-4mpg. Flat roads ~10mpg. Should I be concerned with the uphill portion of Wolf Creek on gas mileage? South Fork to top of Wolf Creek is 18 miles. At 3-mpg, I'm looking at 54 gallons to get to the top. My truck has a 31 gallon gas tank.

Are there any gas stations along the route?

Thanks!
South Fork to Pagosa Springs is about 45 miles, even at 3 mpg that should be 15 gallons of gas. I can't see where you would run out of fuel crossing Wolf Creek Pass.

Motorhomes and RVs take this route frequently.

Good luck!
gjames50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:57 AM   #4

LOL! Yep, wrong math! Guess I was over thinking it. Thank you for the quick reply!
garbear2483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:03 AM   #5

I guess Wolf Creek Pass is a pretty serious challenge -- they even wrote a song about it:

Old 01-19-2022, 10:14 AM   #6

Took our 45’ jayco seismic over Wolf Creek Pass no problem. The surprise we had on that trip was how much fuel it took to go up to Aspen on the 70 corridor. Be sure you are full for the Ike gauntlet or the other direction.
drstimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:50 AM   #7

Wolf Creek Pass is a beautiful drive and as stated, you won't run out of gas. Plan to stay in Pagosa Springs to soak in the awesome, clean, concrete pools of varying temperatures. We pack a cooler and spend the whole morning moving from pool to pool overlooking the river and town. Very relaxing!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:01 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by profdan View Post
I guess Wolf Creek Pass is a pretty serious challenge -- they even wrote a song about it:
It used to be a challenge until they completely rebuilt the highway about 20 years ago. Now its no worse than some of the other passes; IE Monarch or Berthoud.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:17 AM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
It used to be a challenge until they completely rebuilt the highway about 20 years ago. Now its no worse than some of the other passes; IE Monarch or Berthoud.
Except for the hairpin at the bluff /viewpoint when heading west..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado