Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2017, 10:24 AM   #1

Wolf creek pass in Colorado

We are in a 2002 Newmar Class A. How bad is Wolf Creek Pass to travel across? We are in Williams, AZ traveling to Creede, CO. Does anyone have a suggested route except 89 from Flagstaff? Open to reccomendations. TIA
Lefty67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2017, 10:36 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Two questions whether it gas or diesel.
Do trucks and MH's use this route?
Is your MH in reasonable condition and are you comfortable driving mountain pass' s?
My answer' s for ME are, if trucks do it I do it, if your MH is in reasonable shape it will do fine and last diesel will do better on that high a pass than gas as it will be turbo charged.

LEN
Old 07-24-2017, 10:38 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty67 View Post
We are in a 2002 Newmar Class A. How bad is Wolf Creek Pass to travel across? We are in Williams, AZ traveling to Creede, CO. Does anyone have a suggested route except 89 from Flagstaff? Open to reccomendations. TIA
I have driven Wolf Creek pass multiple times. It is not that bad as they have passing lanes on the up slop and big rigs are common enough going through there. Just take your time and you will be fine.

I will admit that driving through Cortez, CO will be pretty boring and Durango will have lots of traffic but once through there things will be fine. You could always shoot up I-40 and then take 491 to Farmington, NM. That would cut out the worst of the Durango traffic.

What are your time limits? Scenery or just shortest route?
Old 07-24-2017, 10:39 AM   #4

This will be one of those subjective things as I have towed my 9000 lbs loaded TT with my 800+ lbs Grizzly ATV in my truck bed over that pass a couple times and didn't find it bad. That was during summer so road conditions were optimal. I'm also quite used to towing in that king of environment or other passes even worse than WCP.

Wolf Creek Pass has a max grade of 6.8% and really it will be up to your comfort level on if it is bad or not. Unfortunately, you would need to extend your trip by many miles to avoid most passes getting to Creede. I don't have any recommendations on other routes to take unless you want to add significant miles to your trip.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:43 AM   #5

It's been several years since we were over Wolf Creek, but as I recall, it was one of the easiest passes to go over. A nice four lane road with great scenery.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:51 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I drove Wolf Creek Pass westbound last November in my Class C. It wasn't a bad drive.

Before getting into the mountains from the east, there were heavy winds which almost made me stop and wait them out.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:35 AM   #7

Wolf Creek Pass was one of the first bits of mountain driving we did on our first trip in our first MH towing a car on a dolly. We have a 30 Winnebago gasser. At that time we didn't know what we didn't know. The road was fine, though a challenge in a small gasser for a rookie driver and navigator. We wouldn't hesitate to drive it again. As others have said, take it slow.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanion2 View Post
I have driven Wolf Creek pass multiple times. It is not that bad as they have passing lanes on the up slop and big rigs are common enough going through there. Just take your time and you will be fine.

I will admit that driving through Cortez, CO will be pretty boring and Durango will have lots of traffic but once through there things will be fine. You could always shoot up I-40 and then take 491 to Farmington, NM. That would cut out the worst of the Durango traffic.

What are your time limits? Scenery or just shortest route?
We check in there on Wednesday and leave Williams on Tuesday. 89 is a 2 lane but going to Albuquerque on 40 then North are also 2 lane roads and it is a lot farther. Do you know if 89 is a fairly wide, easy to travel 2 lane?
Old 07-24-2017, 11:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Two questions whether it gas or diesel.
Do trucks and MH's use this route?
Is your MH in reasonable condition and are you comfortable driving mountain pass' s?
My answer' s for ME are, if trucks do it I do it, if your MH is in reasonable shape it will do fine and last diesel will do better on that high a pass than gas as it will be turbo charged.

LEN
It is a 500 hp diesel. Yes, we saw you tube video of the pass and there were trucks on it.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:02 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty67 View Post
We check in there on Wednesday and leave Williams on Tuesday. 89 is a 2 lane but going to Albuquerque on 40 then North are also 2 lane roads and it is a lot farther. Do you know if 89 is a fairly wide, easy to travel 2 lane?
491 is just inside of NM border. You won't come close to hitting Albuquerque unless you miss the turn off. My suggested route will add about 35 minutes according to google maps and it will be slower, more scenic driving.

I haven't done 89 before so I cannot offer any feedback there but I have driven from Telluride to Cortez to Durango before several times. Creede is a nice little town and the drive you are planning is a beautiful one from Pagosa Springs to South Fork to Creede. I've done that run a couple or three times myself but usually on my motorcycle. Still, the roads are pretty easy to handle and the Wolf Creek pass is the only challenge if you are new to driving your class A. Just stay in the right lane and cruise at your comfort level and you will be fine. Just remember to down shift on the down slope to conserve your brakes.

Since I was just there this weekend I will tell you that afternoon thunderstorms are to be expected so it might be pretty windy up at the top of the pass depending on how late in the afternoon you get there.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanion2 View Post
491 is just inside of NM border. You won't come close to hitting Albuquerque unless you miss the turn off. My suggested route will add about 35 minutes according to google maps and it will be slower, more scenic driving.

I haven't done 89 before so I cannot offer any feedback there but I have driven from Telluride to Cortez to Durango before several times. Creede is a nice little town and the drive you are planning is a beautiful one from Pagosa Springs to South Fork to Creede. I've done that run a couple or three times myself but usually on my motorcycle. Still, the roads are pretty easy to handle and the Wolf Creek pass is the only challenge if you are new to driving your class A. Just stay in the right lane and cruise at your comfort level and you will be fine. Just remember to down shift on the down slope to conserve your brakes.

Since I was just there this weekend I will tell you that afternoon thunderstorms are to be expected so it might be pretty windy up at the top of the pass depending on how late in the afternoon you get there.
Thank you so much for all of your information it has been very helpful.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:20 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
If staying at Mountain Views in Creede - Welcome - stop by and visit us - site 313. Did the pass going south last fall in our fully loaded and towing gasser. No problem up or down. Some oneway traffic due to fiber crews laying conduit in roadway but that project should be done by now.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
If staying at Mountain Views in Creede - Welcome - stop by and visit us - site 313. Did the pass going south last fall in our fully loaded and towing gasser. No problem up or down. Some oneway traffic due to fiber crews laying conduit in roadway but that project should be done by now.
Sure will.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:29 PM   #14

Watch out for trucks haulin' chickens, or hogs......as the song goes. Did that trip in 2006 all the way to Creede. The pass is no big deal (except for the cautions noted above) there is a huge ski area parking lot just over the top on the east side if you want to check your brakes.
The fish get up late around Creede-you're good till 10 am or so.......
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado