RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2020, 09:14 AM   #1

Wolf Creek Pass in May/ Highway 160

Was planning on going to Pagaso Springs in May via the Great Sand Dunes and then back to Eleven Mile State Park; can anyone enlighten me on snow conditions the beginning of May going over Wolf Creek Pass? And actually driving over the pass with a trailer? I have found conflicting statements other places about the drive on Highway 160. We went to Crested Butte last year on Highway 50 and it kind of freaked me out when there was a tractor trailor on the side of the road, smoking like it was on fire, obviously from overusing its brakes. Thank you for any insight that can be provided.

tbm1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #2

https://www.cotrip.org/map.htm

Try that link. We've been over Wolf Creek Pass a number of times, towing or not. The road has plenty of RV's on it and I've never seen a smashed RV at the bottom of a cliff...heh.

Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbm1997 View Post
Was planning on going to Pagaso Springs in May via the Great Sand Dunes and then back to Eleven Mile State Park; can anyone enlighten me on snow conditions the beginning of May going over Wolf Creek Pass? And actually driving over the pass with a trailer? I have found conflicting statements other places about the drive on Highway 160. We went to Crested Butte last year on Highway 50 and it kind of freaked me out when there was a tractor trailer on the side of the road, smoking like it was on fire, obviously from overusing its brakes. Thank you for any insight that can be provided.
Look here first - https://www.cotrip.org/map.htm#/defa...illCameraId=79

No one can tell you what the weather will be in late May - But - Late May usually will bring Sunshine and Warmth - - -

We have Family in the Foothills and just the other day it was in the 70's next day it snowed 7-10 inches, and was around 15 degrees - snowed again the next day and was mostly melted on the next. this is March.......so .... look at the Pictures see if it works for you THEN Check the Weather - you can have all the seasons in a 24 hour period. -

Wolf Creek is a real Pass, well maintained by Cdot and should not be a problem - but keep your RPM's up and watch your temp going up then Gear down and watch your speed going down. Stay off the Brakes as much as possible.

The drive you are contemplating is IMHO just Beautiful any time of the Year, but I love the mountains and I also love the Snow.

So be sure to look at the CDOT webCams and do this year round as it will snow Year Round in the Passes of Colorado. -

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:38 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Wolf Creek Pass is a famous place as this song and video points out.

We went over it once with a trailer. I headed down into Pagosa Springs at about 20 miles an hour.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:14 PM   #5

When you get to Great Sand Dunes check the weather for Wolf Creek Pass. If 'iffy' then just wait a day or so. It's cleared fast. Drive it mid-day - early morning or evening any moisture could ice up. Get into low gear before you even start the descent - as in any hill you may drive. Then you won't have to use your brakes much. It's a nice wide highway - 3 lanes in some areas. Enjoy the view - when you can!!

Hope you're planning on some nice soaking at Pagosa Springs. We pack a small cooler and spend 3-4 hours there. Immaculate concrete pools overlooking the river and small town. Very relaxing after driving Wolf Creek!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:20 PM   #6

I am probably jaded as I go over it 30+ times a year. Not a big deal at all. As Busskipper said it is a real pass but common sense and gearing will get you up, over and down without a problem. For the most part you have two lanes going up and areas two lanes to go down as well. On the west side there are a couple runaway truck ramps if stuff gets too crazy. West side is steeper (7% grade) than the east side . There are two significant hairpin turns on the west side first one is about 6 or 7 miles down from the top and the second is approx 1/4 mile beyond the first one.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:39 PM   #7

Thank you all so much! Good suggestions and really love the video. I will definitely use CDOT. I wonder if this will all be a mote point and the CO state parks will start to close camping. Hope not, as I am starting to get stir crazy; never thought I would desparately want to go to the movies. We are meeting relatives and camping for a few days in Pagosa Springs so I will really be looking forward to those hot springs.

tbm1997 is offline   Reply With Quote