Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2022, 03:21 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to burgmark
Yellowstone fishing bridge campground to Rapid City SD

My Garmin will not take me on route 14 out the east entrance to Cody. I updated maps recently and everyone but Garmin knows the northeast and Mammoth entrances are closed. But those are the routes it suggests for me. Wondering if there are poor roads or low overpasses on the more straight east route.

Any reasons to not take Highway 14 to 30, to 16, to interstate 90?
burgmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2022, 03:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgmark View Post
My Garmin will not take me on route 14 out the east entrance to Cody. I updated maps recently and everyone but Garmin knows the northeast and Mammoth entrances are closed. But those are the routes it suggests for me. Wondering if there are poor roads or low overpasses on the more straight east route.

Any reasons to not take Highway 14 to 30, to 16, to interstate 90?
Very doable. It is mountain driving, however. The East entrance road closes seasonally so that might be why your route software won’t show it.
Bigceasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 03:48 PM   #3

Just pulled out of Fishing bridge last week. East entrance is open. If you do not want to go over the mountain, you can use the back way from Cody to Billings. I pulled 14, but it Is not for the faint of heart and those not use to mountain driving. I always recommend against this route. RT 16 is not as intense and very doable.
Dieselgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 04:16 PM   #4

Many here say 14 is doable
So it depends on how secure you feel to drive that route slowly and safely.
If you feel good about it, then do it.

I know when I drove over the Big Horns on 16 last summer (from Buffalo, to Ten Sleep) I seen every kind of RV going over Powder River Pass at 9666 ft. If You stop in Ten Sleep, get some ice cream at Dirty Sally's.
It was July and it was windy and cold. Still with snow. Just drove slow. It’s not easy, but it’s doable, so is Cody to Fishing Bridge.

Slow, safe. Stop if need to.

I did several stops coming down 191 from Bozeman last summer, we just took our time and enjoyed the ride, even stopped up at Big Sky for lunch. Slow, easy and daytime.
Lots of pull offs, sit and wait, take a few photos, enjoy the views.
It will be ok.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 05:28 PM   #5

Hwy 14 is very doable for any size RV.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 07:10 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As a Wyoming native I have driven the roads extensively. I think maybe some of the people responding to your post are confused about the highway you are referring to as US14. I think they are referring to US14 east of Greybull while you are referring to US14 between Fishing Bridge and Cody.

The highway east from Fishing Bridge is combined US14/US16. If you think of the highway as US16 it is less confusing for this conversation. US16 it will take you from Fising Bridge to I25 at Buffalo. I would suggest that you forget WY30 and stay on US16 all the way from Fishing Bridge to I25. Click this MAP.

Those who advised you to avoid US14 probably were referring to the portion of US14 from Greybull to Ranchester. US14 is a much more challenging route from Greybull to I25 than US16 from Greybull to I25. From Fishing Bridge to Cody is a mountain drive for sure but not particularly challenging.

I have made the drive using US16 as shown on the linked map many times in a 34' gas motorhome towing a Jeep Cherokee. No problems!

If you added a signature to your profile it would show up when you post. A signature may be helpful for others reading your posts. To add a signature:
  1. Click on Quick Links on the right hand side of the bar near the top of the webpage.
  2. Fill in the information you would like to share such as the year, make, model of your RV etc.
  3. Click Save
Old 09-29-2022, 05:53 PM   #7

YELODUSTER'S map & post above is the route I'd suggest.
Old 09-30-2022, 06:07 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to burgmark
Thanks to all. I will take 16 to 90. I've had enough mountain experience that I feel comfortable with that route. Always take the approach oh going slow when in doubt.
burgmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 03:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgmark View Post
Thanks to all. I will take 16 to 90. I've had enough mountain experience that I feel comfortable with that route. Always take the approach oh going slow when in doubt.
You'll be going slow!

Just remember to get into low gear before even beginning a downhill; not in the midst.

Tags
campground, yellowstone