Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2022, 08:31 PM   #1

Yellowstone Grand Loop Road

We are planning a June trip this year (2022) to Yellowstone. We will drive from Cody, WY through to the West Entrance of Yellowstone. We are pulling a 24 ft. travel trailer with a Toyota Titan. The RV Wizard is warning us that this route is not good for pulling an RV. I was wondering if any of you have, and your experience. We have driven mountain roads with switchbacks before and had no problems.

Thank you for your time!

Sharon
sbrohamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2022, 09:00 PM   #2

To be honest, the toughest part might be Sylvan pass, on highway 14.
Would not hesitate to take our class-a down it.

If you want a video of the pass.

Now, with that said, we have taken a class-c over over Beartooth pass, highway 212 from Billings to Tower Roosevelt. That road will challenge your rig.
Old 01-21-2022, 06:20 AM   #3

We took our last trip to Yellowstone last fall. By last trip, I mean never again. Traditionally we would visit every 5 years or so on either of the shoulder seasons, leaving the summer to those folks with kids who travel long distances. We found there are no more shoulder seasons. By 8 AM all the turnouts were jam packed. Highway looked like a big city freeway with fewer lanes. Animal sitings caused huge backups. Our opinion was both Glacier and Yellowstone were being loved to death. So to answer your question: your TV will do just fine if you are comfortable with two lane roads. Don't plan on finding any place to park while hooked up. You will need reservations for your campground and plan to just deadhead between them. We towed the rig in our posted pic. Agree with the previous post on the Beartooth. Beautiful trip not for everyone. Uphill is hard. Downhill is worse for most drivers. I'd avoid it unless you have extreme confidence in your rig and skills.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:49 AM   #4

Thank you

Thank you for your comments. We did Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado last year without a single issue. There was a semi piled up against a rock, though. We have complete confidence in our Titan, plenty of power to pull and/or stop. My husband is a real pro when it comes to driving, staying off the brakes and knowing the speed to maneuver. I was concerned and wonder if anyone can compare Wolf Creek Pass with the roads around Yellowstone.

Thanks again,

Sharon
sbrohamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 03:51 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have done both. I don't see much difference between Wolf Creek Pass and the route you described in Yellowstone other than the traffic. In my opinion, mountain driving is mountain driving, and if your driver is capable, you should be fine.

I do agree that some roads are not intended for large rigs, but your route should be fine.
Old 01-21-2022, 06:45 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrohamm View Post
We are planning a June trip this year (2022) to Yellowstone. We will drive from Cody, WY through to the West Entrance of Yellowstone. We are pulling a 24 ft. travel trailer with a Toyota Titan. The RV Wizard is warning us that this route is not good for pulling an RV. I was wondering if any of you have, and your experience. We have driven mountain roads with switchbacks before and had no problems.

Thank you for your time!

Sharon
Just curious. How is RVTW warning you about that route? Could it be that the park road is closed?

Sent from my moto z3 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Mike8253 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:24 AM   #7

wolf creek pass

this wolf creek pass?? the one they made a song about?
https://youtu.be/KHb_0Lhegig
Oconomowoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:34 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We've done this route multiple times with our current 40' Dynasty pulling a Jeep Wrangler with no issues whatsoever. Several times my in-laws have been following in their truck and bumper pull 28' travel trailer then their 32' fifth wheel trailer as well as another truck/trailer at times.

My biggest issue has been finding wide spots or pullouts to allow the 2-3 rigs to fit so we can enjoy the scenery. When we travel alone with just our coach and Jeep it hasn't been an issue finding place to pull out and park.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:35 AM   #9

You'll have no problem with your 24' trailer. Many, many do it in a 40'. June is a wonderful time to be there... before the massive crowds and you'll see lots of baby critters. I assume you will park your trailer and drive your vehicle around to sitesee. Choosing a couple campsites within the park saves a lot of driving time; perhaps Madison and Mammoth campgrounds to tour both the southern part and northern part.

If you've done Wolf Creek Pass you'll have no problem.

Here is a good description of all entrances:

Road to Yellowstone
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:02 PM   #10

You'll be going up Sylvan Pass from the east entrance, and then down Craig Pass toward the west entrance.

Sylvan pass is a lot easier going up than going down toward the entrance. I've towed my 5th wheel out through the east entrance several times, and the only time it was difficult, was during a snow storm.

Despite crossing the continental divide twice, Craig Pass is relatively easy, even in the snow.

An item of interest is Isa Lake. It straddles the continental divide, and is claimed to be the only lake in the world to have drains on both sides of a divide. Oddly, because of the way the continental divide twists around, the east side of the lake drains into the Pacific, and the west side drains into the Gulf of Mexico.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:15 PM   #11

Remember, your route planner knows it's January. Most all roads are closed in Yellowstone now. Probably why it's telling you not advised. Snowmobile access only.
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yellowstone