RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2020, 12:13 AM   #1

Yellowstone here we come

I'm at rv park in coalville Ut on I-80 East. Best way to get to Yellowstone East entry at Cody Wy. Driving 03 Allegro Bus towing 06 Ford f150. A good route?

jastinjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2020, 12:40 AM   #2

Here's a good report on all roads leading into Yellowstone. We've done the Cody, south, west and north entrances with our 40' MH. We have not done the NE entrance with the MH but have driven it.

You are south of the park. Where are you planning to stay? If in Cody then take WY372/28 to Lander and on to Shoshoni then north on 20 to Thermopolis and 120 to Cody.

If staying in West Yellowstone, take 30 to Montpelier and 89 north to Jackson then north into Grand Teton Nat'l Park and to Yellowstone to W. Yellowstone. Or 189 north from Evanston to 89 is an easier drive. If you didn't want to drive through Grand Teton (beautiful) at Alpine,WY on 89 to Jackson/Grand Teton you could pick up 26 west at Alpine to Idaho Falls and 20 north to West Yellowstone.

Do not take Teton Pass (Hwy 22) west from Jackson. It's steep.

Many different ways to enter Yellowstone depending where you want to be. Have a good trip!

Road to Yellowstone

Each national park has a great website giving maps, road information, openings, closings, special alerts (COVID19) and things to do. Be sure to check them out.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/parkroads.htm

https://www.nps.gov/grte/index.htm

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:12 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
From Coalville, UT there are many ways to get to Yellowstone. If you insist on going into Yellowstone through the East Gate from Cody then this is the most direct route: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Coal...44.5263422!3e0

It has been a LOONNNGGG time since I drove WY28 so I don't have recent knowledge of the road condition. It is a relative flat road with no major grades. Your GPS should be able to direct you on the various roads to get you from I80 to WY28. WY28 is rather narrow but I wouldn't hesitate to take my 102" wide motorhome on it. Once you get to Lander the roads are wide with wide shoulders and are well maintained.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:17 PM   #4

Thanks. Made to yellowstone using most of your idea, just 1 change we took 191 from rockspring otherwise same route's you mention. Thanks
jastinjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:53 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jastinjr View Post
Thanks. Made to yellowstone using most of your idea, just 1 change we took 191 from rockspring otherwise same route's you mention. Thanks
Great, Enjoy the adventure. Yellowstone is a favorite place of mine. I try to visit about every other year.

Tags
yellowstone