Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2015, 08:28 PM   #1

Yellowstone in June

The Dw and I are thinking of taking a trip to West Yellowstone in early June. Last summer we bought a new to us 94 24' class A. We live in the Salt Lake city, Utah area, and are wondering if there's anything special we should know, or the best routes to take. We are thinking of staying in the Grizzly RV park just outside West Yellowstone... Any input is greatly appreciated..
nicculi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2015, 08:20 AM   #2
WDW

I can't help with routes, but firm up your dates and make reservations ASAP. We started booking in September and learned that was late for some facilities!

Taking in the sights ...where my Trolley takes me.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35BH
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:45 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We were in W Yellowstone this past June. Took I-15 and on to US 20 (at Idaho Falls) into W Yellowstone. We stayed at Wagon Wheel RV Park which is small and quiet and the guy that runs it is super. The town is easily walkable. Grizzly looked like a nice park, we just like smaller parks. We rented a car at Big Sky Car Rental as we had no toad. Had a great time, NP is huge, allow plenty of driving time to see the sights. Do make early reservations. Hope you have fun, safe trip.
TinCanTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:20 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Take your coat in early June. It can be a bit brisk.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:22 AM   #5

I planned on booking soon. We figured we would take 15 to 20 as well, and possibly return through the park, and consequently through Jackson Hole.. I do have a toad, so no problem there. Thank you for your insight
Old 11-30-2015, 12:25 PM   #6

You can easily drive through the roads of Yellowstone and on to Grand Teton Nat'l Park. The park's campgrounds are much better and cheaper than the ones in Jackson. Colter RV has full hookups and then there's Colter Bay campground and Gros Ventre campground (our favorite) that have no hookups but have water fill and dump station. The dry campgrounds don't accept reservations but each has 300 sites and we've never had a problem getting a site - especially since you'll be driving from Yellowstone, you'll arrive in the Tetons early in the day....no problem.

You'd have many choices with your 24' MH to stay in Yellowstone for the best experience of visiting the national park. Why stay outside?

Check the official specific national park websites for excellent information on the campgrounds, roads and things to do. Have a great trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:07 PM   #7

Great! Thank You. I'll look into some more options.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:33 PM   #8

YNP is about 45 miles E/W and about 65 miles N/S (2.2 mil. Acres total). The figure 8 loop road inside the park is about 140 miles around. The lower loop is 96 miles and the upper loop is 70 miles around and yes, it is bigger than the states of Rhode Island and Delaware combined.

Whatever time that you think you will need to see YNP you better double it, or to say it another way is that you will see one half as much in the allotted time. The Bison think that they own the road (they do!) and will slow down the traffic to walking speed or less for 1/4 mile or more, the thermal attractions also tie up traffic and with a 4-5 month long summer tourist season that coincides with a 4-5 month long road construction season and a 45 mph radar controlled speed limit it will take about a full day to see each loop and then you will only see the main attractions. In addition to the occasional construction delays they will also sometimes close whole sections of road (for uninterrupted night construction) between 10 PM and 8 AM in the morning, if you are running late and get caught at night in the wrong area it CAN be a LONG way around to your CG! I don't mean to scare you but to inform you of reality. (The entrance stations will have current construction information or go on line.)

Then there is the elevation- YNP ranges from a low at Mammoth- 6239 ft, Old Faithful- 7365 ft, up to 7734 ft at Canyon and Grant to 7784 ft at Fishing Bridge. Drink plenty of liquids and pace yourself when walking. And again I don't mean to scare you but rather to inform you, after all there is normally 3.5 million visitors annually.

I recommend that you get up EARLY, leave the CG and be back by 4 or 5 PM and be sitting in your recliner drinking a cool one when your neighbor drags himself back to the CG at 7-10 PM. Remember that from mid June to mid July in YNP the sun doesn't set until shortly before 10 PM.

If your luck is like mine Old Faithful will have just erupted when you get there and you will have a hour and 10-20 minutes wait for the next one. Tour the O/F geyser basin while waiting for the next eruption. Old Faithful INN is a must see (meals are "OK" also)

We have lived about 110 miles (4739' elevation) from W. Yellowstone, MT for 51 years, go there 3-4 times a summer (normally before Memorial Day and after Labor Day) and haven't seen it all of it yet and at 80 years young pace myself when walking/hiking.

When in the Jackson area I highly recommend seeing the Bar J Chuckwagon dinner show! If you go, MAKE RESERVATIONS and BE THERE EARLY TO PICK UP YOUR MEAL TICKETS/SEATING ASSIGNMENTS! They seat you by when you show up to get your tickets NOT by your reservation number. Tim, their fiddle player has won the "Idaho state old time fiddle contest 7 times and the US open fiddle contest twice". We day trip it there 2-4 times every summer to see them! Disclaimer- We have no financial or other interest in the Bar J only that it will be the best $ value for your money for your trip! Check out their website.

Bar J Chuckwagon
Old 11-30-2015, 02:52 PM   #9

Wow! Thanks richardcoxid. Great info
Old 12-01-2015, 10:29 AM   #10

Richardcoxid, I see you go to YS before Memorial Day and after Labor Day. Are the crowds, traffic etc..that much lighter during that time period and do you need reservations? Leaving New England in April for Arizona and thinking of heading north toward national parks and of course YS. Time is not an issue, lucky us. We don't usually make any long range reservations only because we never know where we will be! Once we know, I call a few days ahead of time. Thank you.
Gladie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:47 AM   #11

Gladie

Yes there is a difference in the crowds after school is out in the early summer and before school starts in the late summer. As we live about 110 mi from W. Y/S we can pick and choose when we go there, only if we have guests from out of town do we go in mid summer.

They normally start plowing the snow covered roads in mid April, (the Mammoth area is open all year) the first to open is from W. Y/S, MT to Old Faithful and the last to open is the Canyon Area, West Thumb and the road south to Grand Teton NP. Most always all the roads are open by mid May (with limited tourist facilities). Every thing is open including tourist facilities by Memorial Day weekend. Of course all this is subject to the whims of nature! Check the website or call for up to date road open information.

As for RV reservations, Can't help you, we very seldom stay in the park or even in commercial parks outside the park itself. We are of "old school" when to go camping we could go almost anyplace and put up the tent/park the RV. Going to where RVs are stacked in like cord wood isn't the type of camping that we enjoy. So we "dry" camp in FS campgrounds surrounding the "park".

PM me if for further information!
Old 12-15-2015, 03:26 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
We stayed at the Wagon Wheel Campground and I highly recommend the facility. Great bathrooms and game room. Close to town but far away enough to be quiet. Easy access to park and extremely friendly staff. Would go back tomorrow if I could.