Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #1

Yellowstone internal roads

My wife and I are planning a trip to Yellowstone this summer in our 40' DP. We are considering a stay at Jackson for the Grand Tetons then through the south entrance to W. Yellowstone for camping. Some say the roads are okay for a big rig, others say they are narrow and windy. Steep grades aren't a problem, but I'm VERY ALLERGIC to cliff hangers.

Please give me your opinions on traveling through the park from the south to the west entrance.
cpp8284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpp8284 View Post
Some say the roads are okay for a big rig, others say they are narrow and windy. Steep grades aren't a problem, but I'm VERY ALLERGIC to cliff hangers.
Don't go out the east entrance then!!

Last time we were there we went to West Yellowstone, then to Fishing Bridge, then out the South. No problems but we were in a 29' Type C towing a '95 Honda Odyssey on a dolly.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I did this a few years ago in my 40FT dP towing a CrewCab 4wd Chevy Truck. Came in from Cody, stayed in West Yellow stone, and then Left thru the south entrance. That was the worst part of it, as they were doing construction, and the gravel roads were a nightmare. Took my time real nice and slow.

As for cliff hangers, nothing real bad, as long as you take your time. You will have plenty of room, and lots of pullouts to stop if you need a break or to get pictures.

Just remember..keep it slow, and enjoy the view from your "Wide Screen"
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #4

Quote:
My wife and I are planning a trip to Yellowstone this summer in our 40' DP. We are considering a stay at Jackson for the Grand Tetons then through the south entrance to W. Yellowstone for camping. Some say the roads are okay for a big rig, others say they are narrow and windy. Steep grades aren't a problem, but I'm VERY ALLERGIC to cliff hangers.

Please give me your opinions on traveling through the park from the south to the west entrance.
We're doing the Yellowstone/Grand Tetons mid-August 2013, I have already made all of my reservations.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
We went from West Yellowstone to the south entrance. That was no problem, their were a few spots on the east side that were kind of high.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #6

Dunraven pass between Tower jct. and Canyon jct. is probably the most difficult stretch of road inside the park.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeep View Post
We went from West Yellowstone to the south entrance. That was no problem, their were a few spots on the east side that were kind of high.
Were the high spots a sheer drop off adjacent to the road?
cpp8284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #8

from the south entrance to west yellowstone will be no problem with cliffs or drop offs just lots of traffic and if any animals in or by the roadway it can be a traffic jam.
don't try to go from jackson on 22 through idaho to west yellowstone as there is a large grade and drop offs
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverfever View Post
from the south entrance to west yellowstone will be no problem with cliffs or drop offs just lots of traffic and if any animals in or by the roadway it can be a traffic jam.
don't try to go from jackson on 22 through idaho to west yellowstone as there is a large grade and drop offs
What other way is there? Looking at Google maps, I don't see any other way from Jackson to West Yellowstone. In fact that is my route plan for this August...
Old 01-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
What other way is there? Looking at Google maps, I don't see any other way from Jackson to West Yellowstone. In fact that is my route plan for this August...
Never mind, I see that one could travel south out of Jackson on 26 to 20 which looks like a better route, only about 60+/- additional miles.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
We did Yellowstone in a 40' DP with no major issues but be prepared to stop as the wildlife "owns" Yellowstone and takes their sweet time crossing the roads. I'm talking about some pretty big things like Bison or Buffalo or whatever you call them. Take your time and be prepared to meet a lot of RV rental Class C units in the opposing lanes coming at you.
chuydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Were the high spots a sheer drop off adjacent to the road?
We went 2 years ago and it was on the east side of the grand loop. North east corner I think. Looking in the right mirror all I saw was river and yes it was very high. My wife is not a fan of heights. After that I was not allowed to take that road.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
We're doing the Yellowstone/Grand Tetons mid-August 2013, I have already made all of my reservations.
We're doing Yellowstone mid-September... and haven't yet decided where to stay. Where (and why) did you choose?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
I've worked and explored around the 'Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem' for 20 summers. The roads in Yellowstone have been greatly improved in most areas in that time. Tour Buses navigate the parks all the time. You will have some high cliffs overlooking the Snake River Canyon after entering the park from the south, but there are pull-outs and the MAXIMUM speed limit is only 45 mph. Dunraven Pass road has been greatly improved, but it is a mountainous road over the flank of Mt. Washburn, the highest point in the park. Leaving and entering the park by the west (West Yellowstone), east (Cody), or north (Gardener) entrance are the least 'scary' -- but all spectacular. Don't try the NE entrance through Cook City, MT, and the Beartooth Mtns. That road is definitely only for smaller vehicles, but worth the trip if you have one.

I would avoid Teton Pass on WY 22 west of Jackson. It has grades up to 10% and is very hard on RVs. Coming east on the pass there are no runaway pull outs unless you cross the uphill lane on the left!

South of Jackson, turning east at Hoback Junction is O.K., but to continue south on US 89 US 26 is pretty twisty with canyons along the Snake River.

Check the web sites for Wyoming Dept. of Transportation for road construction, they can be a major headache, often delays of an hour or more common in and around the area east on US 26 between Moran Junction and Dubois.

Wyoming Department of Transportation

Yellowstone construction also causes delays, check here:

Seasonal Closures and Road Construction Delays - Yellowstone National Park

The road between Grand Teton and Yellowstone (J.D. Rockefeller Parkway) has also been under construction for a few years, it also can have up to hour delays.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote