Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2022, 07:08 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yellowstone West Entrance to Yellowstone Lake

What's the road like, going East from Yellowstone West Entrance, Grizzly RV Park, to the Grand Loop Rd, then Southeast to Yellowstone Lake (Grant Village Campground)??
Driving a 38' Newmar Canyon Star, pulling a GMC Terrain.

Our first trip ever to this part of the US!

Then Rt.26 & Rt. 287 back South to I-80.

Your help is appreciated, especially the road west to east through Yellowstone!

Note: could go back North, to Bozeman. then East on I-90, & then somewhere along the route, back South to I-80!

Thanks!!

Allan
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2022, 07:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber Jaw View Post
What's the road like, going East from Yellowstone West Entrance, Grizzly RV Park, to the Grand Loop Rd, then Southeast to Yellowstone Lake (Grant Village Campground)??
Driving a 38' Newmar Canyon Star, pulling a GMC Terrain.

Our first trip ever to this part of the US!

Then Rt.26 & Rt. 287 back South to I-80.

Your help is appreciated, especially the road west to east through Yellowstone!

Note: could go back North, to Bozeman. then East on I-90, & then somewhere along the route, back South to I-80!

Thanks!!

Allan
The biggest issue with the roads in the park is Traffic most are in pretty good shape, IMHO not to drive them is a Mistake - Just too Beautiful to not see it all.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:29 AM   #3

You should not have any issues at all with this route. We were just out there last summer and drove our Ace from Madison to Bridge Bay without issue at all. We even stopped for a morning at Old Faithful and there was plenty of RV parking that we were able to use without disconnecting. Yellowstone will be no issue for you at all getting from A to B as far as campgrounds. Old Faithful has plenty of parking but other stops would be a challenge.

We exited the park through the Tetons and spent time there before using 26 to 287 to I80 going home. That is a perfectly good route for large vehicles. We had no issues at all. There is fuel on the way that is easy to fill up in route. You are on the right track and have a good plan.

If you are taking I80 east through Nebraska make sure to stop at North Platte and see the world largest railyard. They have a tower called the Golden Spike Tower which gives a great view of the yard. We used that to stop and let the kids out for a while and take a lunch break. Well worth the few bucks it cost for admission. The also had a large parking lot that is rv friendly to park at.

I80 in Walcott, IA also has the worlds largest truck stop which is another good spot to stop. There is a trucking museum with very interesting and restored older trucks. That museum is free to enter. Well worth the stop. We have young kids and they enjoyed the chance to walk around the place after a long drive.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:36 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The road from West Yellowstone to Madison Junction where you intersect the lower loop is relatively flat, wide and smooth. As you turn south at Madison Junction you get on a highway that is US 287, US 20 , US 291 all rolled in one. If you follow the signs for US 287 it will take you all the way to I80.

From Madison Junction south to Old Faithful the road continues to be relative wide and smooth but there are more hills. The grades are not long nor extreme. After you pass Old Faithful the grades become steeper and longer. Because of the way the Continental Divide snakes around you cross it twice between Old Faithful and the intersection where US 20 splits off to the east. There are some grades on this section that are about 6%. That won't be a problem for you.

You will continue on south on US 287 out of the Yellowstone, into Teton National Park and then out of Teton at Moran Junction. There may be wildlife delays at any point from West Yellowstone to Moran Junction.

US 287 takes you to the east over Togwotee (pronounce TOE-GUT-TEE accent on the last syllable) Pass. This has steep grades both up and down. Your MH will have no problem with it but you do need to use good mountain driving techniques. Once over Togwotee Pass US 287 is a relatively good 2 lane highway with low to moderate traffic all the way to I80.

There may be construction on any part of this route. Consult the Yellowstone National Park website for information on construction closer to the time you plan to travel. Consult WYDOT Website for construction projects outside the parks.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
The road from West Yellowstone to Madison Junction where you intersect the lower loop is relatively flat, wide and smooth. As you turn south at Madison Junction you get on a highway that is US 287, US 20 , US 291 all rolled in one. If you follow the signs for US 287 it will take you all the way to I80.

From Madison Junction south to Old Faithful the road continues to be relative wide and smooth but there are more hills. The grades are not long nor extreme. After you pass Old Faithful the grades become steeper and longer. Because of the way the Continental Divide snakes around you cross it twice between Old Faithful and the intersection where US 20 splits off to the east. There are some grades on this section that are about 6%. That won't be a problem for you.

You will continue on south on US 287 out of the Yellowstone, into Teton National Park and then out of Teton at Moran Junction. There may be wildlife delays at any point from West Yellowstone to Moran Junction.

US 287 takes you to the east over Togwotee (pronounce TOE-GUT-TEE accent on the last syllable) Pass. This has steep grades both up and down. Your MH will have no problem with it but you do need to use good mountain driving techniques. Once over Togwotee Pass US 287 is a relatively good 2 lane highway with low to moderate traffic all the way to I80.

There may be construction on any part of this route. Consult the Yellowstone National Park website for information on construction closer to the time you plan to travel. Consult WYDOT Website for construction projects outside the parks.
Good way to sum it up, Yeloduster Knows these roads well in Wyoming and Colorado.

Enjoy the Drive,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:46 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post

Thank you so much for the great, detailed information!

I will definitely follow your advice, and check more closely, as the time to leave approaches. This will be mid June, leaving Florida and working Northwest, & coming West on I-80 to Rock Springs for the Newmar International Rally. Then doing a caravan for 24 days, through Neb, S.D., N.D., & Montana; ending in Yellowstone at Grizzly RV Park on August 15th.

And then begins the trek through Yellowstone, back to I-80.

If you are familiar with the area, I would welcome input with regards to RV Parks/ Campgrounds! I try to use the 200-250 mile, or about 6 hour driving rule!

I am so looking forward to this trip, as I've never visited this part of our beautiful nation!

And as a side note, I had Liquid Spring suspension installed on my Canyon Star; so this trip will be a true test of the improved ride, drive, & handling!

Again, Thanks so much for your help!

Allan
Old 01-22-2022, 11:39 AM   #7

The road from the west entrance to Yellowstone Lake goes over Craig Pass, and crosses the continental divide twice. Despite that, Craig pass is not as difficult as some of the other passes in the park, and should be no problem at all, unless it's snowing.

This time, I made it across before it got really bad.

Joel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sGa1505_P1160202_L.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	738.1 KB
ID:	354453   Click image for larger version

Name:	sGa1515_P1160226_L.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	811.0 KB
ID:	354454  

J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:00 PM   #8

Here's a good description of all Yellowstone's entrances:

Road to Yellowstone
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:55 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post

Road to Yellowstone
This was a fantastic article! Great reading, and very informative!

The trip of a lifetime, , for an old codger like me!

Thank you,

Allan
Old 01-23-2022, 10:00 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
JabberJaw, You asked about RV parks on the way. I don't have much information on RV parks. I mostly dry camp. I've found that I take so much time getting through the parks that I am ready to call it a day soon after leaving Teton.

There is a small USFS campground about 6 or 7 miles east of Moran Jct on US 287. I've stayed there several times. The campsites are relatively tight but my 34' MH fits fine.

There is Buffalo Valley RV park just a little further east from the USFS campground mentioned. I've not stayed there.

I often stay on US 26 rather than US 287 and go to Casper and pick up I25. When I do that I have stayed at a small free RV campground in Douglas. It is a real pretty setting right on the river. Nice level places to park, a well kept lawn, RV dump station and fresh water fill and restrooms with showers. Everything is really nice EXCEPT the restrooms. As a guy I take a shower there but the girls tend to avoid the shower and restrooms! Just sayin!

I25 from Casper to Cheyenne is usually a more pleasant drive than I80 from Rawlins to Cheyenne. I25 has fewer hills and LOTS fewer trucks. US 26 and I25 route is a bit further.

There are more than one RV parks in Rawlins if you choose to stay on US 287 until you get to I80. I think I may have stayed at all of them but don't remember any. Just a place to camp and have hookups.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:05 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you your help! Great information, especially for someone going for the first time
Old 01-24-2022, 01:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber Jaw View Post

Thanks!!

Allan

I would go north to I-90 if you had atleast an extra day or two. Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument is along the way (East of Billings) off of I-90. Then you could take 90 over to the Black Hills and Badlands NP in SD for a one last time visit, or take 90 to I-25 and take 25 down to 80 in Cheyenne.
Backcountry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post

Road to Yellowstone
This is the best all around article.
Thank you twogypsies!
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 02:19 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry1 View Post
I would go north to I-90 if you had atleast an extra day or two. Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument is along the way (East of Billings) off of I-90. Then you could take 90 over to the Black Hills and Badlands NP in SD for a one last time visit, or take 90 to I-25 and take 25 down to 80 in Cheyenne.
We are already doing a 21 day "Caravan" with Newmar, leaving Rock Springs, and will be seeing those wonderful places; as the trip goes back to Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, then to Montana. In addition, they have a one day tour of North Yellowstone, and a one day tour of South Yellowstone.

So my trip back through, by Yellowstone Lake, and exit the Southern entrance, would be on our way back South & East, along I-70, then I-40, to I-10, eventually back to St. Augustine Fl; which is our home!

This will probably be a "once in a lifetime" trip for us! We are getting old!

Appreciate all the comments, and everyone has been helpful with suggestions, as well as directions.

Thanks to each of you!

Tags
yellowstone