Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #1

Yosemite to Yellowstone

We are currently in Fresno, Ca. and have spent the last 3 weeks touring Yosemite, King's Canyon, and Sequioa Nat. Parks. Our next stop is Yellowstone. We have two choices of routing, both about the same miles. We can go South and pick up I-15 and go North through Utah, or go North and pick up I-80 East through Nevada.

We prefer a more scenic route, but other considerations might outweigh that. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Len
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I've been both routes, it depends on if you want to get there quickly or spend some time on side trips. Quick is I-80 because there's not a lot to stop and see along the way unless you go to Lake Tahoe, gambling in Reno (sort of Las Vegas lite) Salt Lake City. Off of i-15 you have Las Vegas, detour to Zion NP, at I-70 go east until Utah 10, then north until Price, UT. Then north on US 191. Along 191 is Vernal, and short trip to Dinosaur Nat. Mon., Flaming Gorge, Jackson and the Tetons to south entrance of YNP.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #3

if you've got time, take US50 across Nevada. "The Loneliest Road in America" but it's got some great scenery. You get a look at old Nevada in many ways... I enjoy it.

Steve
Old 05-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
My Wife and I crossed Nevada on US50 years ago and really enjoyed it and will do it again when we get a chance. Don't let the term "Loneliest Road in America" scare you, both cars that passed us waved at us. Hickison Petroglyph Recreation Site was a pleasant find and there is a campground there. Austin, NV was a great little town to stop and stretch. Turn North at Ely, NV on Hiway 93 and overnight at Angel Creek Campground near Wells, NV or at Catus Pete's in Jackpot , NV. You can drive north from there through Idaho Falls and enter Yellowstone through West Yellowstone. If needed you have many places to camp north of Jackpot, there is Massacre Rocks State Park and numerous places around American Falls Reservoir. I found I-80 to be so rough going over Donner Summit that I swore I would never do that road again.

Ron
Old 05-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
If time is not the consideration, why not go through Yosemite again, take 120 over to 6 on up through Ely. Lee Vining has a nice campground overlooking Mono Lake. We have driven Tioga Pass dozens of times (3 in the MH). Of course, I don't know the length of your MH and Toad combo.
I would avoid 80 also. I feel sorry for the truckers that have to drive that road.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #6

Thanks to all for the input. Our MH & Toad combo is 30K lbs., and the little ISB engine does wonders for a 6.7L Diesel, but it sounds like the I-15 route is going to be a better fit than I-80 with our limited power.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post
...why not go through Yosemite again, take 120 over to 6 on up through Ely. Lee Vining has a nice campground overlooking Mono Lake.

Consider a 30 mile detour south from Lee Vinning to Mammoth Lakes for a couple nights and then head north.

Pick any routes (US50, US6, I80, I70) to pick up US 191 in Utah as the following post suggests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
.....Then north on US 191. Along 191 is Vernal, and short trip to Dinosaur Nat. Mon., Flaming Gorge, Jackson and the Tetons to south entrance of YNP.
And for all the named reasons! And more....

I'll ditto this combined route for scenery and numerous adventures. Dino NP is a real treat, especially hiking the east end. Depending on your route you might drive by the relocated Navy Top Gun training base, some active military gunnery/bombing ranges , the new yet original Mustang Ranch , numerous town fairs and festivals celebrating everything you can/can't think of , and several fascinating middle-of-nowhere, brand new, money is no object, oil/gas boom towns .

I did basically this combined route in a 45ft towing a toad. No biggie. Tioga Pass down no problem if taken slow. I had to back it down to first gear full engine brake and ran 5-10mph all the way and hardly tapped the brakes.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote