Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2022, 11:53 PM   #43

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jleo47 View Post
Tail Of The Dragon.... in my Porsche of course1
I hope you smiled for the photographers and pulled over to let the motorcycles pass.

We've enjoyed the Pacific Coast Highway; southbound is better for the ease of taking the pull-outs.

Take care,
Stu
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2022, 04:40 AM   #44

The Seward/Sterling highway. It doesn’t get much better imho.

The 101 north of Ventura is nice, but I think that’s mostly because it’s a break after transiting the greater LA area.

I-70 Glenwood Springs to Denver is pretty nice too.
Old 08-28-2022, 06:25 PM   #45

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've already posted but there are so many great places. I also vote for US24 between Minturn, CO and Buena Vista, CO. The highway

It has views of the ghost town Gilman and the Red Cliff Bridge. Gilman is best viewed from a turn out just west of Red Cliff. The bridge can be viewed from a turn out just west of the bridge. The bridge has been featured in Coors Light commercials with a Coors Light eighteen wheeler on the bridge.

It also has great views of the 14,000 foot mountains to the west of the highway between Leadville and Buena Vista.

See the attached photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gilman.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	565.9 KB
ID:	374836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Cliff Bridge from Evas camera.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	389.7 KB
ID:	374837  

Old 08-28-2022, 07:17 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post

We've enjoyed the Pacific Coast Highway; southbound is better for the ease of taking the pull-outs.

Take care,

Stu

Is that highway 1 and 101 ? I didn’t even think about which way would be better. Thanks!
Rob_M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 09:32 PM   #47

Any highway with light traffic and a gentle downward slope
KenZ71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 10:10 PM   #48

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
Is that highway 1 and 101 ? I didn’t even think about which way would be better. Thanks!
Rob, IMHO, the best is US101 from Astoria, OR to Big Sur, CA. Very little of US101 in Washington is along the coast. Most of US101 through Oregon overlooks the Pacific Ocean. Same for northern California, too. Much south of Big Sur starts seeing much more traffic. Also, CA has vehicle size restrictions on many roads that might preclude some vehicles; check legality before you take a big rig on CA highways.

As I mentioned, southbound is better to make any turnouts; no left turns across traffic. During some times of the year, with a more southern arc for the sun, the late afternoon can be a little wicked.

Take care,
Stu
Old 08-29-2022, 08:22 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigr356 View Post
We just returned home to Washington from an 8,700 mile road trip through British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon Territory, Northwest Territories, and Alaska.
Honorable mentions to 1) any road in the Canadian Rockies, 2) the Klondike Highway between Carcross, YT and Skagway, AK, and 3) the Top of the World Highway between Chicken, AK and Dawson Creek, YT.
Best highway in North America? The Dempster from Dawson City, YT to Tuktoyaktuk, NWT on the Arctic Ocean. It's like driving from Seattle to Glacier National Park. On a dirt road. With three places to fuel up. 570 miles, each way, of scenic bliss. It looks just like it did when Alexander Mackenzie paddled through.

I was waiting for someone to make this post I have never driven Alaska but have heard.
SnowG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 10:23 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Rob, IMHO, the best is US101 from Astoria, OR to Big Sur, CA. Very little of US101 in Washington is along the coast. Most of US101 through Oregon overlooks the Pacific Ocean. Same for northern California, too. Much south of Big Sur starts seeing much more traffic. Also, CA has vehicle size restrictions on many roads that might preclude some vehicles; check legality before you take a big rig on CA highways.

As I mentioned, southbound is better to make any turnouts; no left turns across traffic. During some times of the year, with a more southern arc for the sun, the late afternoon can be a little wicked.

Take care,

Stu

Thanks! We have relatives who live at Washington/Oregan border. Thinking about leaving the DP on their property and doing that road trip in the toad. Probably in 2024.

So 101 south then what scenic route back to Washington border?
Old 08-29-2022, 11:58 AM   #51

[QUOTE=yeloduster;6291093]I've already posted but there are so many great places. I also vote for US24 between Minturn, CO and Buena Vista, CO. The highway

It has views of the ghost town Gilman and the Red Cliff Bridge. Gilman is best viewed from a turn out just west of Red Cliff. The bridge can be viewed from a turn out just west of the bridge. The bridge has been featured in Coors Light commercials with a Coors Light eighteen wheeler on the bridge.

It also has great views of the 14,000 foot mountains to the west of the highway between Leadville and Buena Vista.

Yup, 24 down to Salida. And in the best car for viewing! Then 82 over to Aspen. Last 2 weeks of Sept. Stop by the Grottos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00069 copy.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	376.3 KB
ID:	374900   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00071 copy.jpg
Size:	615.1 KB
ID:	374901  

Name:	DSC00042 copy.jpg
Size:	417.2 KB
ID:	374902  
Old 08-29-2022, 12:30 PM   #52

Nobody has mentioned pikes peak. Been up twice, will probably do it again sometime. Was sleeting at the top both times we did it end of June.
Old 08-29-2022, 02:09 PM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Another good road is the drive thru Rocky Mountain National Park in CO, taking the most northerly route, which I believe is "Old Fall River Road". That section of the drive is pretty nice and should be done in the Toad, as the last nine miles or so is a one-way dirt road; or at least in June 2018 is was. It may not always be open, depending on the weather.
Thanks,
wog099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 01:13 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
We have relatives who live at Washington/Oregan border. Thinking about leaving the DP on their property and doing that road trip in the toad. Probably in 2024.

So 101 south then what scenic route back to Washington border?
There is no scenic way back to Washington. 101 back through the Oregon coast is the very, very, very best. It doesn't hurt to drive it twice and do some stops you missed on the way south.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 06:16 PM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
Utah 12 https://www.visitutah.com/articles/t...cenic-byway-12

Avoid the crowds at the big 5 and enjoy this ride. Thousand Lakes CG at the north end is tops, with morning muffins and steaks at night on site! Short drive to uncrowded Capitol Reef NP
Gotta love Utah Hwy 12. Be sure to enjoy driving along the Hogback. Drop off’s from both sides, spectacular. Have only missed the route one decade since the 70’s. Last time was the first time since retiring and wasn’t a “Hurry up and have fun” vacation. Spend some time in Capital Reef area if you can, I also recommend Thousand Lakes RV Park.
Jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 09:22 AM   #56

Forest River Owners Club
US 2 all the way across from Washington to Maine.