Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2018, 08:17 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Whatever the route, I'd take the route least affected by bad weather.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2018, 08:20 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Your WV route actually has more towns/cities than the OH route. Pittsburgh, Morgantown, Charlestown, Huntington are on that route.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:38 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Don't mind towns and small cities at all. Just don't like the big cites! Not afraid of driving in them, just try to avoid them if possible. I HATE stupid drivers and large cities are just concentrations of stupid drivers! Had to go to Houston to look at RVs a couple weeks ago...man I hate that place due to the traffic and stupid drivers!
TurnTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:08 PM   #18

If you can do it wait until Sunday morning to leave CW. Sunday will be the best day weatherwise. By then the roads will be warmer and the roads clear. You can do Rt 20 or I-90 south. 20 will run roughly parallel to 90 but be slower if you want to get the feel of the MH before hitting the superslab. You are roughly 3 hours out of Cleveland, OH. Less to where you head south around the city.

I'd avoid the route through Pittsburgh as it is all hills or high bridges between hill tops. WV is worse.

I-271 will take you through the Cuyahoga valley. Down one side and up the other. If you don't want that then cut over I-480 to I-71. Look at the map.

Cincinnati, OH is around 6.5 hours and Louisvile, KY around 8 hours for planning.

We are hearing about another weather front building the week you are traveling. It's too early for us to know what is going on but you might get caught in it. The point is to watch local weather ahead of you on the road. Don't be afraid to get off the road if the weather is bad. You have time. You may also find campgrounds by your second night. I don't know. I do know it's worth calling the campgrounds instead of using their reservation service. Quite often you get a better answer dealing direct.

Good luck, have fun, and post a trip report. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:16 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
If you can do it wait until Sunday morning to leave CW. Sunday will be the best day weatherwise. By then the roads will be warmer and the roads clear.
This is probably what we will end up doing anyway. Since we are right there, we want to visit Niagara Falls. Have a buddy in Buff that will take us so we don't have to try to drive the coach. Fly in Friday at noon, then sign papers and such. Then off to wally world to stock the coach with necessities, then back to CW to spend the night. Get up Saturday and go to Niagara, then either hit the road late Saturday or most likely spend the night again and get up Sunday to hit the road.

Thanks for the tips!
TurnTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:00 AM   #20

I live in WV, and right along the path you intend to take. I-79 from Pittsburgh PA south to Charleston WV is not a bad route. Yes, there are hills, and curves, we are the Mountain State for a reason, but I-79 is a well maintained, highway. Also, my suggestion for the Ark Encounter... if you do choose the I-79 Route, consider exiting onto US RT 50 in Clarksburg (exit 119 off I-79). If you google Clarksburg, WV to Ark Encounter, you’ll see the alternate route. It will bring you to the Cincinnati area, then South to the Ark and keep you from backtracking.
Mlr0023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:09 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Make sure you watch the Canadian curling video in the humor forum before your travels. It may be beneficial for driving in the snow belt.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your opinion on two routes from NY to TX

We just came down that route through Ohio about 6 months ago. I-71 all through Ohio and into KY is excellent road. I-75 from Cincinnatti south, or I-65 from Louisville south are both also good road.

I also recommend avoiding I-79 through WV this time of year. Moisture in the atmosphere is what drives weather, and mountains tend to swirl the air around and create their own local weather, often unforecast. The only best way to exit the Buffalo area is watch the weather— there will be good days mixed in— and never stop thinking 2-3 days ahead.

Another factor to keep in mind: you’ll be a bit to the east, and it’s a bit early in season, but you’ll be running right down the east side of the so-called “Tornado Alley”. Just stay aware.

BTW, if you’re an FMCA member you can get a couple of free nights at the FMCA RV Park on Round Bottom Road on the east side of Cincinnatti. Not fancy, but well built, full hookups, well cared for, and free with your membership (2 nights/ month; extra nights $10 iirc). We’ve stayed there a few times for a few days, passing through.

Enjoy!!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:39 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi

Sounds like you have received lots of good RV advice. I can’t help you with the route, but when you get it safely home to San Marcos, I’m just down the road in New Braunfels. Holler if you have any questions.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote