Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #29

Ok, we've already had one changed it up a little bit, so I'll add mine.
Who on here, knows anybody from years ago, that had something to do with building the highways across the USA, that stole the money that was suppose to be used to build quality highways, stole it just to fill their own pockets & make them self rich ??.

Alaska highways, now you can understand them being like they are, the Corps of Engineers built them, mater of fact, an old gentleman that lived in our town, Col Ross Vaugne led them boys through, boy did he have some storys from those days.
Neil
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Has anyone tried driving the Cross Bronx Expressway eastbound near the George Washington Bridge. We pray for bumper-to-bumper traffic so that we do not have to go more than 20mph! We have to travel that way to get home to Long Island.
slowspokes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowspokes1
Has anyone tried driving the Cross Bronx Expressway eastbound near the George Washington Bridge. We pray for bumper-to-bumper traffic so that we do not have to go more than 20mph! We have to travel that way to get home to Long Island.
My sister is still on Long Island. I do not go out there very often but every now and then my brain is else where and I hit the stretch..... arrrggghhhh get out of the left lane, flash back.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor16

I hear you there about the Pennsylvania Turnpike. We came through there the 1st of July going to Gettysburg and my Lord i am sure we got more gray hair from that road. We don't ever want to go through Pennsylvania again. Bad Roads and People wanting to drive faster then speed limit. A Big RV with Toad can not turn on a Dime and with Road Construction it was not a good drive.
And we PAers get to pay for the privilege of using it.
Pittsburgh Post Gazette
Despite the recent progress, Pennsylvania still holds the dubious distinction of having more deficient bridges than any other state, and the emphasis on bridge repairs came at a cost to road maintenance. Twenty-one percent of state-owned roads are rated "poor" due to the roughness of their surfaces, and by 2016 the proportion will grow to 40 percent.
We win! (I think )
Old 08-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
I've been travelling around some of the minor highways in Oregon and they are first rate. Not sure if they have finished up on the 101 yet, but for the most part roads are in great shape compared to NCal.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #34

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I-65 south, north and through Louisville, KY in August 2011

It is also the best place to travel for the new RV shake down trip. Sorry for the pun!

After shaking and bouncing all the way through Louisville last year with a new motorhome our passenger side camera and steps quit working that same day! We were planning on being in northern Indiana the next day so we arranged to have the issues fixed at the factory. They got us in that same day and 3 hrs later we were on the road. Kind of funny but we never had another problem with the coach while we owned it.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #35

We have found the best roads in our travels to be in Texas. Have not traveled East of Texas yet so I am reading this with interest. On our way down last winter, we were told by a couple of truckers to stay away from I 35 through Kansas. Stayed on I 25 into NM and then went S & E from there into Texas. Good roads.
Came back into AZ and N on I 15 to Montana. Again, good roads for the most part.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Mine is south Texas I-10 , it is so bad in some spots you have to slow down to 40 MPH, the sections are shifting due to excessive heat in interstate, I avoid south Texas .

Happy RVing,James
Jimooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #37

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimooo View Post
Mine is south Texas I-10 , it is so bad in some spots you have to slow down to 40 MPH, the sections are shifting due to excessive heat in interstate, I avoid south Texas .
Perhaps true in the stretch near the LA state line. I-10 west of Houston is fine.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #38

Michigan !
Old 08-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Perhaps true in the stretch near the LA state line. I-10 west of Houston is fine.

Rusty

I second it.
BRYAN S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #40

After a lifetime traveling northern Alberta and B.C. in all kinds of conditions I didn't find I-5 or I-80 particularly bad. Sure there were some rough sections but not a big deal. We drove from Palm Springs to Yuma, one section near Westmoreland had some of the worst wash board I have ever seen. They actually had the nerve to call it a highway.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #41

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimooo View Post

Happy RVing,James
I'm not sure where I 10 goes through south Texas, but having traveled I 10 from Houston (east Texas) to El Paso (west Texas) and beyond many times, most recently last month, I find it to be a fine Highway.

It's been my experience that most of the major highways out west , with the exception of CA are much better than what we have experienced in the Eastern half of the country, with the exception of FL, which I have found to have excellent roads.

We are presently in Gunnison, Co and for the most part, have found the majority of the interstate and other CO roads traveled have been fine.

An interesting note about I 35 E between Dallas and Denton, rumor is that in the recent past a high level manager from TXDOT traveled that portion, found it to be full of potholes, and immediately had a crew in place to repair all the potholes over a weekend. They were very expeditious in the repair and did a good job.
howdja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #42

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy125 View Post
I40 around Oklahoma City, Ok. We actually exited because we thought we blew one of our duals the road was so rough.
X2
We traveled it from west to east mid July and I told DH if we had to go 100's of miles out of the way I would not drive through Oklahoma City, Ok on the way back. It was so rough that one of the brackets holding the TV in the cab over broke. And we didn't just add a few extra miles returning.
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote