Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2020, 01:56 PM   #1

Yukon and Northwest Territories

There is still a bit of snow on the ground here in Southern Ontario but we are beginning to look forward to spring and early summer. We are considering trying to complete (almost) our travel bucket list. So far 49 states and 10 provinces so that leaves the Territories. I'm curious if anyone here on the forum has travelled with an RV up that way. If so perhaps they could share knowledge and suggestions or warnings! Our tentative plan to leave late May and be home early July, probably taking the US 2 across and cross the border in Saskatchewan, head north and return via Winnipeg, Thunder Bay and Sault Ste Marie. Any suggestions/information will be gratefully accepted.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2020, 04:22 PM   #2

Watching. I also have an interest in traveling up to the Northwest Territory.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:04 AM   #3

Following
bigthinkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:49 AM   #4

Pretty quiet so far! Maybe some responses when the weather warms a bit. I have ordered info from the 2 gov't tourism agencies. Will see what they have in a couple of weeks.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:45 AM   #5

We drove through BC and Yukon but did not go up to Northwest Territories. Whitehorse is great - there’s a Canada Tire and Walmart with tons of RVs camped there. Good restaurants and shopping, too. There’s a lot of gravel road through Yukon. Check for forest fires. When we did it 3 years ago, the road across northern BC was under construction and completely torn up. They tore out the road for miles over the pass and left it raw mud and clay. There were bison all over the mountain eating the clay and using the road to travel. This was way up in the northern Rockies - middle of nowhere - hard to believe they left the road in such poor condition with no chance of rescue for many miles. That was the most dangerous point of all our RV adventures. The other awful thing up there is all the fracking - you drive for miles and miles looking at signs saying “warning do not park: poison gas.” It’s disturbing and then you get to fort Nelson and it seems the whole town is living inside a poison gas cloud. We got the hell out of there and took a pretty unsafe secondary road over the mountains rather than stay in that area. So check your route - the northern BC route is definitely not the touristy south. Shocking, actually.
Leftys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:34 AM   #6

Thanks for that info. We'll be coming in from the SE and I'll check road conditions carefully before we embark!!
Old 03-08-2020, 11:49 AM   #7

My first rv I bought 8 years ago was pretty dusty inside when I bought it. I got a smokin deal on it, so cleaning is cheap. It really needed a good cleaning to say the least. After two times of cleaning the whole rv front to back, we got it somewhat clean. When we tried to run the basement air conditioners, no air would come out. I found that they had blocked the intakes under the bed in several locations, and had duct tape in different places. We serviced the generator, and found the air filter was completely plugged with road grime and dust. They must have had the genny running while under way on dirt roads.In the process of cleaning, we found several large maps of Saskatchewan. My deduction is that the rv had been used to take a trip to northern Saskatchewan. Im guessing that so much dust was coming from the basement air, that they blocked it off, and duct taped around every place it was coming in. They had even taped over all the registers in the ceiling. They had removed the covers, taped the backs, and reinstalled them. I have worked in northern Manitoba, and had travelled over to Saskatchewan. A lot of the main roads up there are dirt. If you go, be prepared to have your rv dusted out. If you have a rear engine, its going to inhale a lot of dust. Others may have a different opinion, but I wouldn't purposely put my rv through what someone did to my old one.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:02 PM   #8

Look up "Mortons on the Move" on YouTube
Scott 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:44 AM   #9

That book used by people going to Alaska - THE MILEPOST - could be useful. The description on Amazon says:

"mile by mile descriptions of more than 15,000 miles of roads in Alaska, Yukon, Northwest Territories, British Columbia, and Alberta."
Old 03-10-2020, 02:10 PM   #10

I didn't realize it covered the territories as well. I will order it and thanks for that tip RBBRTRMP
Old 03-13-2020, 12:40 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftys View Post
We drove through BC and Yukon but did not go up to Northwest Territories. Whitehorse is great - there’s a Canada Tire and Walmart with tons of RVs camped there. Good restaurants and shopping, too. There’s a lot of gravel road through Yukon. Check for forest fires. When we did it 3 years ago, the road across northern BC was under construction and completely torn up. They tore out the road for miles over the pass and left it raw mud and clay. There were bison all over the mountain eating the clay and using the road to travel. This was way up in the northern Rockies - middle of nowhere - hard to believe they left the road in such poor condition with no chance of rescue for many miles. That was the most dangerous point of all our RV adventures. The other awful thing up there is all the fracking - you drive for miles and miles looking at signs saying “warning do not park: poison gas.” It’s disturbing and then you get to fort Nelson and it seems the whole town is living inside a poison gas cloud. We got the hell out of there and took a pretty unsafe secondary road over the mountains rather than stay in that area. So check your route - the northern BC route is definitely not the touristy south. Shocking, actually.

This is perplexing; drove the area in August and didn't see anything of the kind of poison gas you're describing.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 01:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftys View Post

Those signs don’t mean they’re venting poison gas straight to the atmosphere: it means the oil they’re producing contain some amount of H2S and if there’s a leak it could be very, very bad for your health.

Quantities of H2S that are lethal are also odorless, so if you see that sign near a oil or gas location just stay clear even though you’re probably ok. This is an issue the industry takes VERY seriously.

—posted from a Frac on the TX/NM border
Old 03-13-2020, 05:15 AM   #13

They were leaking all over the place. I know you work in that industry but there’s no defense for that. Destruction of the environment and absolutely hazardous. Like I said we got the hell out of there and would never go back.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
This is perplexing; drove the area in August and didn't see anything of the kind of poison gas you're describing.

Then I suppose you weren’t on the same road we were on. This was in northern BC.