Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2016, 05:54 PM   #1

Zion -Bryce - Arches

Planning a trip in a V-10 31 ft Class C pulling a soft top Wrangler, to Zion Bryce and then to Arches National Park. Heard there are some long steep grades in Utah. Anyone have experience with this or any suggestions for traveling Utah ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2016, 06:21 PM   #2

I don't expect that you will have any difficulty in Utah with your Class C V-10 towing a Wrangler-- provided that you have a supplemental braking system in your toad. Memories of our travels to and around all three of these national parks doesn't bring to mind any trouble or unusual driving problems at all. We made the trip in a 1999 Winnebago Adventurer (32 feet - Chevy 454) towing a Honda Element, and again in a 1998 Pace Arrow (36 feet, tag axle, V-10) towing a Honda CRV and never felt the terrain was an issue. That said, the Chevy 454 was better at engine braking, while the V-10 spun up the tach, but neither ride was worrisome. I can't recall a single incident where this trip was less than breathtaking for its scenery, and never was a heart stopper for its road conditions. Good luck with your trip!
Notayurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:30 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
We are planning to visit Grand Canyon NP then go east around to Zion and Bryce before heading to Las Vegas. What should I expect for weather in the middle of December?
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:57 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
We are planning to visit Grand Canyon NP then go east around to Zion and Bryce before heading to Las Vegas. What should I expect for weather in the middle of December?
The first thing you need to do is get a map out and look at it. The Grand Canyon is SOUTH of Utah.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:01 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Den View Post
Planning a trip in a V-10 31 ft Class C pulling a soft top Wrangler, to Zion Bryce and then to Arches National Park. Heard there are some long steep grades in Utah. Anyone have experience with this or any suggestions for traveling Utah ?
I don't see a problem I was in that area this summer. You do realise that Zion and Bryce are in the southern area and Arches and Canyonlands are up by Moab.
Bill
Old 11-08-2016, 09:01 PM   #6

To get back on track from the weather question in Dec. - COLD......

OP: You asked about steep grades in Utah. Yes there are. Hwy 12 is one - from Bryce to Capitol Reef and also if you go to Zion from east to west via Hwy 9. However, if you're comfortable driving and knowing how your truck handles and how to downshift, then you shouldn't have any issues with either. Many RVers drive those highways, including us. They are gorgeous drives!

If you want to avoid Zion's hill coming from the east you would have to get to Fredonia, AZ via Hwy 89 and then take AZ Hwy 389 west where it becomes 59 in Utah. Take it to Hurricane, UT then go east into Zion.... a beautiful drive with no steepness.

To avoid Hwy 9 going east through Zion when leaving Zion return the same way on Hwy 9 west to I-15 north, then take Hwy 20 east to UT89 near Panguitch then south to Hwy 12 and Bryce. Don't take Hwy 14 from I-15. It's worse than the other two!!!

To avoid Hwy 12 from Bryce to Capitol Reef Nat'l Park backtrack to Hwy 89 and Panguitch and take Hwy 89 north to I-70 then east to Hwy 191 to Moab, UT and Arches. Or, if you want to visit Capitol Reef take 89 north to 62 to 24 to Torrey. Then continue on 24 to I-70 to Arches....or, another option and very pretty drive from Hanksville at 24/95, take 95 to Blanding then 191 north to Moab. This is all gorgeous country and you can't go wrong with any way you choose.

By the way, Arches Nat'l Park will be doing major construction all next summer and the campground will be closed all summer and you'll probably have a slow drive getting through the park. Check out the web site. In fact, each national park has a great web site for road information, camping and things to do. Here is Arches - read all about the construction project:

https://www.nps.gov/arch/index.htm
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:55 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Den View Post
One outher thing tell me your intended route to to Zion and I might have some suggestions. We were coming down from Glacier and through Yellowstone and The Tetons so we came down I-15 cut off on 191 to 70 then 191 to Moab.
We stayed in OK RV Park, 3310 Spanish Valley Dr, Moab, UT 84532
okrvpark.com, (435) 259-1400. This gave a good base to explore the area.
When in Moab check out Pasta Jay's, 4 S Main St, Moab, UT 84532, pastajays.com, (435) 259-2900. Great food.
Bill
Old 11-09-2016, 07:53 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
The first thing you need to do is get a map out and look at it. The Grand Canyon is SOUTH of Utah.

Bill

Bill,

So you are saying that RT 64 east out of Canyon Village then RT 89 north is not a viable route in mid December, I have taken that route in August, why is that?

Dave
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:14 AM   #9

I think Dr. Den the OP, and Dr Dave, the hijacker, are getting folks mixed up.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:25 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Bill,

So you are saying that RT 64 east out of Canyon Village then RT 89 north is not a viable route in mid December, I have taken that route in August, why is that?

Dave
I would be checking the weather reports. Zion and Bryce are North and West of the Grand Canyon.
Bill