RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2020, 11:50 AM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=jeskibuff;5553405] Another alternative offered by another member was to take the Valley of Fire route around exit 93 of I-15 to Boulder City. I was going to take that but decided to take the shorter route instead.[/QUOTE

How slow going is this route via Hwy 167, with just a car to miss Vegas? Thanks
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2020, 12:02 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Be sure to spend some time and take a tour of Antelope Canyon near Page, AZ. Try to get a tour for the noon walk to catch the sun coming down at the popular photo spot.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:53 PM   #17

Jacob Lake is like paying to boondoock. No water, dump or elect. Lots of good boondocking in the area.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:10 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Jacob Lake is like paying to boondoock. No water, dump or elect. Lots of good boondocking in the area.
Got a fresh water tank, got a generator. All I need is a place to pull over for the night then head on down the road the next morning.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:57 PM   #19

Here are Jacob Lake national forest campground sites:

https://www.campsitephotos.com/campg...az/jacob-lake/

If you want hookups go for Kaibab Camper Village:

https://www.kaibabcampervillage.com/
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeskibuff View Post
Another alternative offered by another member was to take the Valley of Fire route around exit 93 of I-15 to Boulder City. I was going to take that but decided to take the shorter route instead.
How slow going is this route via Hwy 167, with just a car to miss Vegas? Thanks
Again, I didn't take that route myself, but Google says it's about 1.5 hours from I-15 exit 93 to Henderson

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/36.0...=en&authuser=0
Old 01-09-2021, 09:53 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Just reading on the Grand Canyon website. It appears the East Gate / Desert View Gate has been closed due to the Navajo Nation shutting it down due to Covid. If it remains closed I'd have to go all the way into Flagstaff and back up to Grand Canyon. I'm guessing everything will be open by next October, but just in case, is anyone familiar with fueling stops along Rt. 89 near Cameron / the intersection with Rt. 64?
Old 01-09-2021, 10:54 PM   #22

There is fuel at that intersection at Cameron Trading Post. It also has an excellent restaurant with high quality gift shop. Navajo Tacos are awesome! A better one would be on 160 at Tuba City - 10 mi. east of 89 (good price) or in Page on 89 if coming from the north. There are also stations on 89 before coming into Flagstaff and naturally, Flagstaff and over to Williams has plenty.

When traveling in the West distances are greater so drive on the top half of your tank and fill when you see a good one.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:11 AM   #23

I will be travelling from Williams up to Zion in Sept of 2021 and my preliminary plans was to go up 89 through Page and continue to Kanab. Then down through Fredonia and Kaibab and on over to Hurricane and then Virgin.

I will be driving a CrewCab Dually and towing a Momentum Toy Hauler that is almost 44' long...plus the truck, so a total length of right at 61'

My question is this. Would I be able to safely navigate the route being talked about on this thread.....Williams to 89 North, then take 89A past Jacob Lake and then on to Fredonia....and then on to Hurricane and Virgin? I realize that following 89 through Page and then over to Kanab and Fredonia is a longer route, but having never been on those roads, it just seems to me that it would be somewhat of an easier/safer drive than going the 89A route.

So what do the experienced folks say....considering the length of my rig. Fuel stops won't be an issue as I will be carrying approx.95 gallons when I leave Williams and start the drive to Zion...I'm more concerned with negotiating the route safely .....not the time or miles between the two routes. Thanks in advance.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:09 AM   #24

mr xrated:

i don't have a complete answer for you. we tow a large 41 foot 5th wheel with a ram crew cab DRW pick-up. we have taken the hwy 89 route up to page and kanab several times without any difficulty. that route is certainly viable and safe. (stay off the city streets in flagstaff). we normally stop and stay at wahweap rv park just outside page.

we have not taken 89a so i can't comment on it. but i'll certainly read the comments from others.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:44 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I will be travelling from Williams up to Zion in Sept of 2021 and my preliminary plans was to go up 89 through Page and continue to Kanab. Then down through Fredonia and Kaibab and on over to Hurricane and then Virgin.

I will be driving a CrewCab Dually and towing a Momentum Toy Hauler that is almost 44' long...plus the truck, so a total length of right at 61'

My question is this. Would I be able to safely navigate the route being talked about on this thread.....Williams to 89 North, then take 89A past Jacob Lake and then on to Fredonia....and then on to Hurricane and Virgin? I realize that following 89 through Page and then over to Kanab and Fredonia is a longer route, but having never been on those roads, it just seems to me that it would be somewhat of an easier/safer drive than going the 89A route.

So what do the experienced folks say....considering the length of my rig. Fuel stops won't be an issue as I will be carrying approx.95 gallons when I leave Williams and start the drive to Zion...I'm more concerned with negotiating the route safely .....not the time or miles between the two routes. Thanks in advance.
Flagstaff, north on 89 to Page and to Fredonia is a very easy drive and the easier of the two but you shouldn't have an issue with either route. They're both good two-lane highways frequented by a lot of RVers.

89 to 89A to Jacob Lake to Fredonia - you'll have a big hill to climb just before Jacob Lake. Then you'll have a descent to Fredonia of 6 miles of 6% grade. It's not a biggie but just a heads up.

From Fredonia with either route you'll take AZ389 which become UT59 taking you to Hurricane. This is an easy, beautiful drive.

We've done them all with our 40' motorhome towing a Jeep. Favorite places of ours.

If you take 89A.. just after the climb and before getting to Jacob Lake there are some nice open boondocking spots on both sides of the road on national forest land... in case you're ready to stop for the night. Also, from Jacob Lake you could take Hwy 67 south to Grand Canyon North Rim (just about a flat drive). DeMotte national forest campground is at the park's entrance and very nice. There's also a good, flat gravel road (F.R.22) just beyond DeMotte and you only have to drive about 1/2-1 mile and you start seeing some nice boondocking spots.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Flagstaff, north on 89 to Page and to Fredonia is a very easy drive and the easier of the two but you shouldn't have an issue with either route. They're both good two-lane highways frequented by a lot of RVers.

89 to 89A to Jacob Lake to Fredonia - you'll have a big hill to climb just before Jacob Lake. Then you'll have a descent to Fredonia of 6 miles of 6% grade. It's not a biggie but just a heads up.

From Fredonia with either route you'll take AZ389 which become UT59 taking you to Hurricane. This is an easy, beautiful drive.

We've done them all with our 40' motorhome towing a Jeep. Favorite places of ours.

If you take 89A.. just after the climb and before getting to Jacob Lake there are some nice open boondocking spots on both sides of the road on national forest land... in case you're ready to stop for the night. Also, from Jacob Lake you could take Hwy 67 south to Grand Canyon North Rim (just about a flat drive). DeMotte national forest campground is at the park's entrance and very nice. There's also a good, flat gravel road (F.R.22) just beyond DeMotte and you only have to drive about 1/2-1 mile and you start seeing some nice boondocking spots.
Thank you sir for your reply. I've never driven out west with a truck and camper, but I've been towing trailers most of my life....15 years old to my present age of 66. It's probably going to be a straight thru trip from Williams to the Zion River Resort in Virgin, as we will be going there after spending 4 days in Williams and the South Rim area of G.C.N.P. I may just rethink the "89" route and try the 89A. Hopefully the weather will still be OK in early to mid Sept. time frame. Thank you again, that has certainly been helpful.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:53 PM   #27

The 'Mountain Directory for Truckers & RVers' is very worthwhile to get. It'll give you a 'heads up' on many questionable routes. It comes in East and West editions.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
The 'Mountain Directory for Truckers & RVers' is very worthwhile to get. It'll give you a 'heads up' on many questionable routes. It comes in East and West editions.
LOL.....that's funny you mentioned that, I just bought it and downloaded it on my desktop and my laptop computers. From what I've seen so far, it is an awesome software and I'm sure it will come in handy.

Tags
ags