RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2020, 09:19 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Zion to Flagstaff

How is the route from Zion around the north side of Grand Canyon 59, 389, 89a to 89 and down to Flagstaff? Only other option would be back thru Vegas.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2020, 09:34 PM   #2

I'd say weather dependent , that is high country .
Scenic yes , but I wouldn't want to be caught up there in a storm.
I was through, the route and up to the North Rim in late May; years ago; and there was still snow in the shaded areas.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:41 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Current plans would put us there around Oct. 15th.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:56 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Just to clarify...are you meaning Oct 2021?
Old 12-04-2020, 11:21 PM   #5

Your planned route is excellent and very scenic. If planning on stopping at the North Rim of Grand Canyon make sure of closing time... it's in October. I believe the gate is still open but restaurant, store, campground would be closed. We love staying at Demotte national forest campground at the gate entrance. Beautiful time to be there with the yellow aspen!

If planning on the South Rim of Grand Canyon - instead of going into Flagstaff take 64 west off 89 which will take you right into the park. Trailer Village RV in the park itself is the place to stay for the best overall experience.

Just before 64 on 89 is Cameron Trading Post - beautiful gift shop of good quality things... not trinkets and an excellent restaurant. Navajo Tacos are wonderful!

Some nice Indian Ruins around Flagstaff and Sunset Crater. At the gate is Bonito national forest campground - very nice.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:09 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Yes
Old 12-05-2020, 06:39 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Your planned route is excellent and very scenic. If planning on stopping at the North Rim of Grand Canyon make sure of closing time... it's in October. I believe the gate is still open but restaurant, store, campground would be closed. We love staying at Demotte national forest campground at the gate entrance. Beautiful time to be there with the yellow aspen!

If planning on the South Rim of Grand Canyon - instead of going into Flagstaff take 64 west off 89 which will take you right into the park. Trailer Village RV in the park itself is the place to stay for the best overall experience.

Just before 64 on 89 is Cameron Trading Post - beautiful gift shop of good quality things... not trinkets and an excellent restaurant. Navajo Tacos are wonderful!

Some nice Indian Ruins around Flagstaff and Sunset Crater. At the gate is Bonito national forest campground - very nice.
Is Rt. 67 to Demotte Campground a good road for my 40' FW? Meaning it's not dirt with a lot of pot holes kind of road.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:56 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
TwoGypsies, thanks for the info. Looks like max. vehicle length in Demotte is 30 feet according to the website info. for booking.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:42 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Just out of curiosity, how would October 2021 differ from any other October?
Old 12-05-2020, 10:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
Just out of curiosity, how would October 2021 differ from any other October?
I kind of chuckled at the question too. You posted the question yesterday (Dec 4th), so the question that was asked of you was kind of funny to me. It was a little late for it to have been Oct. this year
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 04:17 PM   #11

Quote:
TwoGypsies, thanks for the info. Looks like max. vehicle length in Demotte is 30 feet according to the website info. for booking.
Hwy 67 is an excellent paved, almost straight drive to the Grand Canyon.

Demotte has these big pull-through sites: #27,28 are 50' long; #13, 22 and 26 are 75' long

We easily fit with our 40' MH and Jeep. We didn't have reservations.... just drove in.

Just beyond DeMotte is a good gravel road, flat and straight leading to excellent boondocking spots in the national forest. It's only a 1/2-1-mi drive to find spots. We've also stayed there.

I believe there's a RV park in nearby Jacob Lake, AZ (no lake by the way) and in Kanab, UT to stay.

Kanab requires a drive thru Coral Sands State Park. You won't believe the color. Also, if you're an animal lover sign up beforehand for a tour of Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. It's in a beautiful area, is a no-kill facility know worldwide and has animals of all kinds. Awesome living quarters for these pampered animals.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:36 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
TwoGypsies is there anywhere you haven't been that a person can go in an RV? You should sell subscription service for your experience and advice. You're like an encyclopedia (before Google). Appreciate all your assistance.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:03 PM   #13

Quote:
TwoGypsies is there anywhere you haven't been that a person can go in an RV? You should sell subscription service for your experience and advice. You're like an encyclopedia (before Google). Appreciate all your assistance.
Well.... it helps that we traveled constantly for 16 years and covered many states completely. I've kept my state atlas and very few roads are not highlighted.

I've kept records of our stays and if in campgrounds I have marked the site #'s we've stayed and possible #'s for if we return. We loved boondocking on public lands so I have GPS coordinates to favorite spots. My computer file is 300+ pages and no, it's not for sale. I hope I'm of some help to others.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:08 AM   #14

Quote:
How is the route from Zion around the north side of Grand Canyon 59, 389, 89a to 89 and down to Flagstaff? Only other option would be back thru Vegas.
I just took that route this past Monday. No problems. A rather aggressive uphill climb out of Hurricane, but aside from that nothing unusual. There was some snow on the forest floor around the Jacob Lake area, but none on the road. Another alternative offered by another member was to take the Valley of Fire route around exit 93 of I-15 to Boulder City. I was going to take that but decided to take the shorter route instead.

Tags
ags