Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2021, 09:15 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First, use the trailer GVWR, not dry weight and 20% of the trailer GVWR for estimated pin weight when loaded.

Next issue is cab clearance when turning. I see a ding in the cab or a broken out rear window when turning in your future. Also, make sure you have 6" clearance with the bed and trailer.

I think it will be a bit of a chore for the truck. Be careful and keep your speed down. You do not have to run at the speed limit.

Ken
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2021, 01:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
First, use the trailer GVWR, not dry weight and 20% of the trailer GVWR for estimated pin weight when loaded.

Next issue is cab clearance when turning. I see a ding in the cab or a broken out rear window when turning in your future. Also, make sure you have 6" clearance with the bed and trailer.

I think it will be a bit of a chore for the truck. Be careful and keep your speed down. You do not have to run at the speed limit.

Ken
Not everyone fills the trailer full of stuff to camp for a week.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
If I bought a new F-150 it would definitely be a hybrid. This option allows the truck to be used as a 7.5 kw 120/240v start-on-demand generator. Not only can it provide over 50 amps to power your RV but it can also be used as a standby generator to power your home furing a storm outage.

I'm in process of ordering a new F150. The hybrid costs at least 200 lbs of payload. For other options I want, the hybrid is incompatible. I am getting the 2k pro power option though.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:45 PM   #18

Remember ; not all your payload is available at the rear axle ; and that's where the hitch and pin weight go .

Scale weights loaded for travel could prove me wrong : BUT ; I'm thinking you'll be over RAWR and tire load rating on the rear.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjankowski View Post
Got a question and need some opinions. Just bought 1988 Serria fifth wheel 5780 dry weight (that is including pin weight) right around 1200 pin weight and its 29ft long. What is your opinions on towing with 06 sierra 1500, payload of 1780 and towing capacity of up 8100. I do have spring helpers, no sag when I towed a few blocks home, up and down gravel hills, no problems pulling I have a few months before a trip about 225 mi. I think I should be fine opinions?
hmmm....not much info on your trucks specs like the trucks RAWR/GVWR/engine size/tranny and gear ratio.

Is your truck a '06 1500 HD ?
GM made the 1500 HD from '00 to '06. It has a 8600 gvwr/6000 rawr/6.0 engine/4l80 tranny and 3.73/4.10 gears/LT E tires.

Anywayz ...you say the truck handles the small 5er fine . I'm always a sticker with tuck/trailer axle loads . I would weigh the empty trucks front and rear axles separately .
Then hook up and reweigh axle loads and pay attention to rawr as its carrying all the load in the bed. You sure don't want to exceed a axle/tire/wheel load ratings.

If your truck is the 1500 HD hit the road and no worries.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:46 AM   #20

Thank you all for the input. I decided I'll just keep it local. Pulling half hr this way or that way and park it for a couple days should be fine. Have not had it on the open road yet, I live in the middle of nowhere so I'm going to take it out this weekend gunna get a feel for it. If anything flip it.
jjankowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM   #21

So I have see a LOT of GM trucks that look like your , I would bet the frame of the truck is in just as bad of shape as the body . having said that Inspect the frame from the cab to the rear bumper , I think you may change your mind on doing any towing with that truck. those year GM trucks didn't have great transmissions , that 4L60 get hot and don't have a great track record for towing heavy (8000lbs is heavy for a 1/2 ton.)

I dont see the cab clearance being a problem, one more dent in a cab corner no big deal.
xc-mark is offline   Reply With Quote