Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2021, 01:34 PM   #1

1/2 ton

Got a question and need some opinions. Just bought 1988 Serria fifth wheel 5780 dry weight (that is including pin weight) right around 1200 pin weight and its 29ft long. What is your opinions on towing with 06 sierra 1500, payload of 1780 and towing capacity of up 8100. I do have spring helpers, no sag when I towed a few blocks home, up and down gravel hills, no problems pulling I have a few months before a trip about 225 mi. I think I should be fine opinions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210420_155942.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	445.0 KB
ID:	326406  
jjankowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2021, 01:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjankowski View Post
Got a question and need some opinions. Just bought 1988 Serria fifth wheel 5780 dry weight (that is including pin weight) right around 1200 pin weight and its 29ft long. What is your opinions on towing with 06 sierra 1500, payload of 1780 and towing capacity of up 8100. I do have spring helpers, no sag when I towed a few blocks home, up and down gravel hills, no problems pulling I have a few months before a trip about 225 mi. I think I should be fine opinions?
You'll get opinions. Here's mine:

1) I wouldn't.
2) I see cab clearance issues in your future.
Jack Klompus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:03 PM   #3

Had it at almost 90 cleared with couple inches
jjankowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 03:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Had it at almost 90 cleared with couple inches
Flat.

You've been warned.
Old 04-26-2021, 03:45 PM   #5

Multiply the trailer GVW by 0.20 (middling pin weight) and see how much payload you have left. You will be adding way more weight that you may think to the unloaded number. I suspect you are going to be overweight.

You could order one of these though...

Old 04-26-2021, 03:57 PM   #6

If I bought a new F-150 it would definitely be a hybrid. This option allows the truck to be used as a 7.5 kw 120/240v start-on-demand generator. Not only can it provide over 50 amps to power your RV but it can also be used as a standby generator to power your home furing a storm outage.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:03 PM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Based on your numbers, you should be in spec and ok, I wouldn't have any big concerns as long as everything felt good. I would consider a slider hitch though, in case you are off level and need to make a tight turn.
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
If I bought a new F-150 it would definitely be a hybrid. This option allows the truck to be used as a 7.5 kw 120/240v start-on-demand generator. Not only can it provide over 50 amps to power your RV but it can also be used as a standby generator to power your home furing a storm outage.
So you are saying they could tow that trailer with there truck?
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:31 PM   #9

If you have the clearance and good tires you will be fine. I have to think back a long time to envision a 2006 truck. I think you might have a 350cu in engine. You will use plenty of gasoline but so does everyone else that is towing.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
If you have the clearance and good tires you will be fine.
I don't agree. More to it than that.

Are you concerned about the structural integrity of this rig at all?

The OP does mention a 225 mile trip coming up. If it was a one time deal and then park it, I might feel differently because one could be vigilant and cautious at least for that duration, and be done with it. As a recreational use set up, my opinion remains: "I wouldn't".
Old 04-26-2021, 07:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Klompus View Post
I don't agree. More to it than that.

Are you concerned about the structural integrity of this rig at all?

The OP does mention a 225 mile trip coming up. If it was a one time deal and then park it, I might feel differently because one could be vigilant and cautious at least for that duration, and be done with it. As a recreational use set up, my opinion remains: "I wouldn't".
I have to agree at first glance. That looks like a typical pa truck, full of rust, but i could be wrong. If the body is in that rough of shape, what do the brake lines (known problem area in that generation) and frame look like? I dont know the truck, but thats my reaction on the surface. I have an 03 and it doesnt have a spec of rust anywhere so the age has nothing to do with it. Id be afraid of the condition, but who knows, the op may have recently replaced everything and its just an ugly runner.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:25 PM   #12

I'd be most concerned with the cooling capacity of the truck, both engine and transmission. While it "looks" ok burning up your engine is my concern.
1320Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 06:08 AM   #13

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Normally I would be in the camp of don’t do it but one; you already have it and two; as long as you don’t start adding STUFF to the current set up, you should be ok. Most folks ask this question when they are wanting to pull a 10000 lb + ULW trailer with a half ton. Just remember it is still a half ton TV and no matter what you add will not change it.
From the picture you posted it appears like your nose high, this will increase your susceptibility to trailer sway and a miserable towing experience. Fix that first!
Old 04-27-2021, 09:07 AM   #14

What you seek is approval. My opinion is that I would not tow that anywhere. The weight of the hitch and driver probably put you over payload. Add things into it and it’s going to be awful to tow. But something tells me you are going to go for it. So, go for it! I think you will not be fine is my opinion. I wouldn’t want to be on the road next to that setup.
ardvark16 is offline   Reply With Quote