Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2012, 02:47 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderman View Post
First off, I am a MAJOR believer in LED replacements for both incandescent and fluorescent bulbs. Secondly, I like to boondock so every bit of power savings helps.

Color temperature (Warm White, Cool White, Brite White, etc) will be a major factor in determining whether you like or hat LEDs try them all. I like the Warm White versions at around 3200K (Kelvin) color temperature as they look the closest to incandescent and halogen and give off a warmer light.

I wrote an article about this for the RV Newsletter, you can read all about it at:

WanderMan: And The Lord Said..."Let There Be Low Power Light"

Rich "The Wanderman"

AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #30

Nor'easters Club
first5thwheel,
Wow, thanks...it means a lot, knowing that I can be useful!

Cheers,

Rich "The Wanderman"
Wanderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #31

Alpine Owners Club
Just an FYI, I'm getting ready to take a short trip in my TC so I put the battery in and decided to do a side by side comparison between the two types I had on hand.

The "1156 BA15S 18-5050 LED Warm White" LEDs sold on ebay and a standard incandescent bulb. Putting them side by side in a dual fixture they were indistinguishable from the standard bulb. Doing the same thing in 2 fixtures that had about 3' of separation (in cabover) showed that the LEDs may be ever so slightly dimmer but certainly not enough to be obvious or objectionable. Color was so close that I couldn't tell any difference. I did have to let the incandescent bulb cool off before I could remove it even after juat a minute of use.

I did the same thing with a 36 LED (old type) and the difference was much more noticeable, much dimmer than the incandescent.

Just ordered 10 more for the big rig. Now to find the ones for the little lights under the cabinets.

We will be mostly boondocking and since we have new 8-D batteries from the PO my wife is reluctant to spend the $$$ for 2-Group 31 starting batteries and 4-6V house batteries that I want to have eventually. Every bit of conservation helps.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #32

Just made the conversion to LED in our fifth wheel and really like them. Went with the panel of 36 LEDs that attach to an 1156 base with a micro molex type connector. They use a lot less electricity, 1/10th of the draw of an incandescent bulb and do not generate the excessive heat. Very Satisfied with the LED Conversion. The life is rated at 60,000 hours.
srbs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #33

That's about what I saw. ~1.1A with incandescent, and .1A with the LED. I went from using 1 1/4 tank of propane to 3/4 tank or less for a 4 day weekend.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have swapped a few, with mixed results. The tail lights on this rig are a special sealed "Hocky puck" think and when I swapped in Barjan LED units I was very pleased.

I once had a reading light installed in a bed headbord that was an 1157, I was very pleased if anything it was BRIGHTER than the oem incandescent.

I just tried a 1156 in my wife's reading light.. Not happy at all, and I have some other 1156 replacements I'm not too please with.

The best advice I can give is try before you buy or make sure you can return.

If you find a really good one. POST THE MAKE AND MODEL. Thank you.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #35

There is no need to replace your lights unless you are planning on dry camping. It is not worth the expense. Since I like to dry camp I recently purchased some on Ebay for under $5.00 a piece and some others at LED Tactical for under $19.00 a piece. The ones at Tactical put out 300 lumens. From what I understand you want to look for the warm white lights and not the bright white lights. I should recieve the ones from Tactical LED's on Thursday. I have the 921 bulbs and from what I have read you can run about 11 LED's for the same power consumption as one regular bulb. I'm sure it depends on which LED you purchase. I even bought the LED for the refrigerator from Tweetys. Just have to wait and see how they look. If I'm happy with the ones on Ebay, I'll buy a bunch more since they are cheap. Also someone told me on another forum, Roy Braddy that some of these LED lights can interfere with your electronics like your HD TV, scanner, and Ham radio if you are concerned about this. He says the ones on Ebay don't interfere. I'm no expert in this field and just trying to find the best LED's for dry camping.
ridahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #36

I just placed an order for the maxima mx23015. Lights to replace my running lights. I agree that just changing the bulb is easy but by getting these new sealed units it solves two things. The lighting and the water leaks from the regular multi piece lights.

Let us know how you like the bargman #7 LEDs compared to the command LEDs for the tail lights
Clanton24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clanton24v View Post
I just placed an order for the maxima mx23015. Lights to replace my running lights. I agree that just changing the bulb is easy but by getting these new sealed units it solves two things. The lighting and the water leaks from the regular multi piece lights.

Let us know how you like the bargman #7 LEDs compared to the command LEDs for the tail lights

that was meant for another thread. and i cant seem to find the edit button
Old 03-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #38

You only have an hour to edit a post.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:34 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner
You only have an hour to edit a post.
Ok thank you
Old 03-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #40

I just ordered some of these on recommendation from a post I saw on RV.net I believe. Still waiting for them, but can for sure give my opinion on them when I check them out in my RV. For the price and with the different options for connectors, if I don't like them, I can/will use them somewhere for sure in other projects.

48 SMD White LED Light Panel T10 Festoon Ba9s Dome 12V | eBay
Mikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:55 AM   #41

I ordered 6 of them from a different seller last week.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #42

I bought the 1156 leds from superbrightleds.com put them in
a fixture I had bought that had 1139 bulbs those bulbs were to hot
so replaced them with 1156-x19 its a 19led BA15s bulb
cool white 18 degree, picture of the fixture the bulb on left is led
the other picture me sitting on sofa I think led puts out a lot of
light this picture was taken during the day.
the price was 9.99 each.
the picture of me with paper I took the incandescent bulb out
and put a led in its place
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3090033.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	19368   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3090037.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	103.0 KB